1. MGreer TDR MEMBER

Good to hear from you, I'm glad to hear it was a simple fix. I have about 4k on my rebuild and so far no issues. Pulled the camper on a short trial run with no issues. Holidays were good just not enough snow.

MGreer , Jan 7, 2023
  2. Rowdy Dalton

Cliff Hanger.
    To be continued, at another time, another date.

Rowdy Dalton , Jan 8, 2023
  3. Dysfunctional Vet TDR MEMBER

20230117_101955.jpg #ad

Dysfunctional Vet , Jan 17, 2023
  4. Dysfunctional Vet TDR MEMBER

I'm sure I'll get hate-mail for the bling and Banks air horn, but oh well (the chrome was there when I got the truck and the air horn and red coolant lines I liked so I got it...we're all weird, I'm weird like that, so...)

Full disclosure, I did not successfully diagnose the truck myself. I'll admit it, I got frustrated and work gets in the way of my personal life so I took the truck down to F-Bomb Diesel here in LaVernia, Texas. The guy figured out in one day (probably within in 1 hr from the bill) what I'd done wrong. I did not properly reconnect the fuel injector wires when I buttoned up the engine after the rebuild.
    You're probably thinking the wires under the valve cover, right? Oh no, I'm way dumber than that, I didn't connect the four prong wires back together correctly outside the valve cover. Yes, yes I know, I should probably receive the Darwin Award for 2022. No, no I don't know how I did that. And yes, I thought I did mark them correctly when I took it apart. No idea what happened there.
    The truck was just dumping fuel into the cylinders...at the wrong time. The truck now runs very well, rings are still not seated because I haven't driven it enough. My job is really getting in the way of me having fun. I did accomplish the hot re-torque for the ARP studs and did another check on the valve clearance (when hot), all is good there. Now I'm just chasing down some fuel leaks from the lines.
    Some day I'll write a thread titled, "The Wrong Way to Rebuild a 5.9 Cummins". I believe I have this innate skill for epic screw-ups...its a gift (like I also have a super power, I can find the slowest line at any grocery store, whichever one I pick is sure to have the slowest speed. Got behind a guy writing a check the other day, a CHECK!, anyway I digress. Also, I apologize if you still write checks at the grocery store). Back to the leaks. The fuel leaks come from both connecting and un-connecting the fuel system lines too often while I was chasing down the smoke/power discrepancy, AND, overtightening the fuel system lines, thereby creating a groove in some of the flared portions of the lines. Like I said, full disclosure.
    I also have an ABS issue, the truck has a slight ABS burp (pedal fluctuation) just before it comes to a full stop. I thought it was because I didn't bleed the power steering (P/S) pump after I put everything back together. I was thinking it affected the hydro boost. But I have since bled the P/S system and the issue is still there.
    At least the hard stuff should be behind me. Thanks to all that took the time to help me through this. I truly appreciate your input and I've learned from all of you. Take care, and I'll see you in the forums.

V/R
    DV

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    CVR222NV, 06 Dodge, endoscott and 7 others like this.
  5. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

I have those exact same super powers....:rolleyes:

BigPapa , Jan 17, 2023
  6. petersonj TDR MEMBER

In my book you still get lots of credit for figuring it out and posting the solution on the forum.

However, if you still feel you want the Darwin Award, I can send you mine - you will have to pay for shipping, though.

- John

petersonj , Jan 17, 2023
    Dysfunctional Vet likes this.
  7. Dysfunctional Vet TDR MEMBER

I know its over used but I actually laughed out loud when I read that.

petersonj likes this.
  8. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Hey, great News, it runs, finally. Congrats to that after you've found every grease pot to step into along the way.

Ozymandias , Jan 17, 2023
  9. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Congrats on getting up and running again.

Darkbloodmon , Jan 18, 2023