1. Killer223

really sounds like you have an injector stuck open.

Killer223 , Oct 16, 2022
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I second this, the Knock ist normal and not harmful, but the more smoke is really bad.
    I recommend to contact BBi right away about the issue and proceed with them. They have great customer service.

Ozymandias , Oct 16, 2022
  3. Dysfunctional Vet TDR MEMBER

I think you and Killer223 may be right about the injector but I need to figure out (1) if it's for sure a bad injector and (2) if it's a bad injector, which one is bad.
    I'm assuming when I sent the fuel rail to full pressure the stuck open injector dumped even more fuel and made the knock worse.
    I read in another forum's post that someone suggested to remove the fuel cap while the truck was idling and listen for a hiss in the tank. But they didn't explain it. What would a hiss mean?
    I might have to go the extra mile and loosen the exhaust manifold and look for the cylinder with fuel splatter. Just wish the cap tool or the Solus would've shown me the bad cylinder.
    I did hear that BBI was one of the more reputable injector vendors, that was one reason I bought from them. But I still need to definitively figure out if it's an injector and which one. That way I can have a rational conversation with them about return procedures and not a conversation where I "what if" them to death.
    Thanks y'all for helping me, keep the suggestions coming. I'm trying all of them...as much as I can.

Dysfunctional Vet , Oct 16, 2022
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  4. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Pull them all and let them test them. They’ll take care of it.

BigPapa , Oct 16, 2022
    Darkbloodmon, Tuesdak and Ozymandias like this.
  5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Yep, connect them first and let Martin decide how to proceed from here.

Ozymandias , Oct 16, 2022
    Tuesdak likes this.
  6. MGreer TDR MEMBER

I think before you go to much further you need to be able to connect the solus to the ecm. That will probably be what Martin will advise.

MGreer , Oct 16, 2022
  7. Dysfunctional Vet TDR MEMBER

I tried connecting with it (Solus) again today...didn't work. Hooked up my Bosch code reader...no problem.
    Pulled ECM pin connectors, cleaned them with spray cleaner, checked for bent, depressed broken pins...no problems found. Plugged them all back in and the Solus still wouldn't connect...I don't get it. At this point I'm starting to think a mechanical portion of one of the new injectors is stuck open. I'll separate the exhaust manifold by a 1/4 and see which cylinder pumps smoke.
    My thoughts are that if I single out the injector , I can replace it (temporarily) with an old injector just to see if the truck runs better and the smoke goes away. This would only be done for troubleshooting purposes, not prolonged driving.
    Can anybody poke a hole in that thought process? Would I ruin anything by doing the diagnostics this way?
    I'm kinda runnin' outta options.

Dysfunctional Vet , Oct 16, 2022
  8. petersonj TDR MEMBER

I was thinking that at first, but I don't think this is the case now because of the results of your injector line block-off test If this was the case (a mechanical portion of one of the new injectors is stuck open) then when you used the injector line block-off tool on the one cylinder with a leaking injector, the other five cylinders would have run smoothly (with a steady miss from the blocked off cylinder) and the smoke would have cleared. At this point you could have driven truck with the block-off tool still connected and the timing knock would have disappeared and the engine would have delivered the power of five functioning injectors without any smoke.

Something seems very wrong here. If the engine would not start with injector #4 and #5 blocked off independently, then that says that those two injectors are carrying the load and that injectors #1, #2, #3, and #6 aren't contributing anything at all.

Are you positive of the results of the injector block-off test?

- John

petersonj , Oct 16, 2022
    Tuesdak likes this.
  9. Dysfunctional Vet TDR MEMBER

I'll pull the exhaust manifold out a quarter inch, run the truck, and look for a smoking/sputtering cylinder. If I don't find any anomalies I'll run the fuel rail cap test again. This one is definitely a head scratcher.

Dysfunctional Vet , Oct 17, 2022
  10. Dysfunctional Vet TDR MEMBER

20221017_114245.jpg #ad

11. Dysfunctional Vet TDR MEMBER

Loosened the exhaust manifold. Cylinder #2 is spewing and smoking out of the exhaust.

12. Dysfunctional Vet TDR MEMBER

I gotta watch out.
    Quality Assurance just showed up. 20221017_115904.jpg #ad

13. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

OK, do not start this truck until it is fixed, you got that buddy! We will drag you out of the cab if you try!

SnoKing , Oct 17, 2022
  14. Dysfunctional Vet TDR MEMBER

Yeah, QA keeps giving me the stink eye.

06 Dodge likes this.
  15. Tuesdak

From the block off test … maybe it didn’t prime enough to actually start? I wonder if you got the wires crossed somehow and it’s firing injectors out of order?

Cap #2 injector with the manifold loose. Give it a little time to see if leftover fuel burns off. Still smoking blue would be oil. Not much time though, but, it’s hard to not do more damage if the damage is already done. Video would help.

I also mention head gasket because I am not there, but, that’s a lot of holes dead and eyes burning can be coolant.

Tuesdak , Oct 17, 2022
  16. Dieseldemon

Did you get rebuilt injectors I had kinda the same problem when I pulled the injectors one tip was black from all the fuel going through it

Dieseldemon , Oct 18, 2022
  17. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Well, howdy Jim. I’ve not seen a post from you in years. Have I missed it or have you been gone a while?

BigPapa , Oct 18, 2022
  18. sag2 TDR MEMBER

I agree, cap off #2 before you button up the manifold. The smoke should clear up within a couple minutes.

sag2 , Oct 19, 2022
    Tuesdak likes this.
  19. MGreer TDR MEMBER

Hey DV,
    Haven't heard from you for a while on this. I hope things are looking better for you.
    Either way, happy new year.

MGreer , Dec 29, 2022
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  20. Dysfunctional Vet TDR MEMBER

Thanks MGreer. I have been away for a little bit. I'll go into more detail later, but essentially I had crossed some injector wires. The truck runs fine now but I haven't driven more than few miles due to my schedule. I haven't even gotten a chance to do a hot retorque on the head yet.
    Hope your holidays were happy and when you get a chance I'd like to hear if you have any updates on your rebuild. You should have plenty of miles on it by now.
    I'll try to provide a proper update in about a week.

Dysfunctional Vet , Jan 7, 2023
    Topzide, Tuesdak and Darkbloodmon like this.