1. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

The 6.7 damper IS a liquid damper, same as the Aftermarket Fluidampr just right from the Factory.

Ozymandias , Mar 2, 2021
  2. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

No problem, No it did not come with the washer that's apart of the 100.00 plus kit they offer with some additional bits. Hardware for these engines can get crazy with the dress up trend, Like those Fleece stainless manifold studs for 200 bones, I got a PDP branded set in stainless with Allen heads for 50.

Additionally I found that thread for the Fluidamper hiccups : https://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/my-fluidamper-saga.235324/

I've not gone through it yet its entirety, but It's nearly a decade old and there have been some notable changes in the product since.

What I would've like to see on some of the posts on that thread would be setups, a list of mods/replacements/ and upgrades to the trucks now running fluidampers with similar symptoms.

I'll do a write up on my install, although I'll be changing alot of parts out, in the front and rear of the engine that could skew my experience. Most notably a 6.7 CP3 from S&S and a SouthBend Roller bearing fly wheel with a Phoenix friction S3 Kevlar clutch kit.

Darkbloodmon , Mar 2, 2021
  3. cerberusiam Staff Member

The random issues with noise on the Fluid Dampers *could* have been the atrociously awful balance in the engines from the factory. They were all over the place for balance on the cracked crap rods, too far out and it could lead to some unanticipated problems. Never seem to have that problem with the 6.7 dampers but they are a different design so not exactly apples to apples.

At this point I would NEVER have a manual behind a stock 5.9 or 6.7 again. Actual balance on the engine makes so much difference in trans noise under a load. A decent balance along getting rid of the stock cam and and advance on the timing really cuts down the beating on the drive train. That and a G-56 is suck a noisy pig to begin with the difference in NVH is large at road speeds.

cerberusiam , Mar 2, 2021
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  4. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Are you of the opinion that a FD could over correct the factory balance and smooth it out to a point where the sharp inconsistencies of the internal rotating assemblies are no longer hidden by the stock harmonics?

Darkbloodmon , Mar 2, 2021
  5. cerberusiam Staff Member

Over correct or under correct depending on the actual balance. When the total range of weights can up to and over 100 grams on rods, all bets are off what actual results will be. It is entirely possible the infamous thrust bearing breaking and causing a squeak\rattle could be the culprit also. AFAIK no one pulled one the problem engines down to see what the rotating assembly was like and if fixing a found problem fixed the damper noise. A lot of work for minimal return when for less money than the fluid damper one could get a 6.7 damper that worked just as well and again AFAIK never had the noise issues. Some things will forever remain a mystery. :)

cerberusiam , Mar 3, 2021
    CVR222NV likes this.
  6. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Nothing ventured nothing gained. I'll take detailed notes on my install and observations, I'm on my 3rd college ruled note book of daily driving logs and all the maintenance and repairs in between since ownership. If things go south on my set up, what's the part number for a 6.7 crank and where'd you source one? I don't have much experience sourcing OEM parts at competitive prices.

Darkbloodmon , Mar 3, 2021
  7. jjdiesel TDR MEMBER

Just had the Fluid damper installed on my truck 2 weeks ago. No more issues with the belt, no chirping or anything else. Just a smoother, more quiet ride...especially at idle.

jjdiesel , Mar 3, 2021
  8. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Same p/n? Manual or auto trans?

Darkbloodmon , Mar 3, 2021
  9. CVR222NV TDR MEMBER

See post #25 in this thread. Looks like PN 5333569 but appears to be a Cummins part and not a Mopar part. Geno's has it for $375. Don't believe it matters if it for an auto or manual but not certain.

CVR222NV , Mar 3, 2021
  10. jjdiesel TDR MEMBER

Yes, same part #. As my sig states, 6 spd, NV5600.

jjdiesel , Mar 3, 2021
  11. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Follow up on my Fluidamper install, I had a first fire today after some month and a half long work of installs.

No issues with my new balancer, Engine is noticeably quieter, and smoother. No snapping noises or irregularities. Not sure if the damper minimizes wasted rotational forces but it seems like the engine has more twist on the body when I blip the throttle, I can feel the shifter on top of the trans rotate too the right from the torque.

For laughs I covered my damper with stickers, no affect. This damper does require a hot retorque of 92ftlbs.

Compared to the noise I'm hearing now with my transmission, the engine is quiet.

Darkbloodmon , May 11, 2021