1. Prairie Dog

I got a bit of that feeling as well. People wanted to blame my truck which was in perfect condition and low mileage.
    Some were certain it was the high pressure pump and that it needed to be turned 180 degrees.. Problem is, the noise wasn't coming from the pump.
    Now I wonder if it was the FD itself somehow because that's where the noise came from.

Scott

Prairie Dog , Nov 30, 2019
    Ozymandias likes this.
  2. cerberusiam Staff Member

Or as set of badly matched rods, that would be even more likely.

cerberusiam , Nov 30, 2019
  3. Prairie Dog

What "rods"? Can't possibly mean connecting rods..

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Prairie Dog , Dec 1, 2019
  4. cerberusiam Staff Member

Yes, connecting rods. Same effect as unbalanced injectors. Additionally probably the main reason why some trucks have vibe issues and others do not.

cerberusiam , Dec 1, 2019
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

The 6.7 HO damper was the standard damper for the QSB480, which is a 3400 rpm 480bhp marine 5.9.

I ran both the HO and FD on my 5.9. There was also an internal balance that happened when the part changed so I can’t comment on the difference. Dad ran the HO damper on his 06. Everything was better than stock 5.9 stuff. For the money I’m not sure the FD was with it, unless you’re running more than 3500 rpms constantly.

The viscous damper has been changed again, and I’m not sure what the difference is, but I haven’t researched it.

The 14+ PN is 5333569. It's also rated for 3500 rpms.

AH64ID , Dec 1, 2019
    slowmover and Prairie Dog like this.
  6. Prairie Dog

Unbelievable. And naturally that makes the Fluid Dampener HB "snap" loudly.

7. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Pistons is the same, the whole assembly has to be fine balanced.

Ozymandias , Dec 1, 2019
  8. cerberusiam Staff Member

Pistons are close form what I have seen, rods are way off across companion pairs and even further off as a set. An unbalanced bottom end can have some weird issues on equipment. In no way can a CR engine be considered to be "balanced".

2004HPCR likes this.
  9. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

It's amazing what a difference having my 05 balanced on the rebuild did, and looking at the before/after weights you are correct it's not even close to balanced from the factory... then again it's only a 3K rpm engine.

AH64ID , Dec 1, 2019
    slowmover likes this.
  10. Prairie Dog

Assuming for discussion that has some impact, I'm still wondering why the FD snaps when any other HB doesn't?

11. cerberusiam Staff Member

Different designs have different results on different engines. If they have now fixed the problem it was probably a design thing on CR engines that cause it where the Cummins dampers were purpose built.

Yes, JUST balancing the rods and pistons makes HUGE difference in how smooth engine is and the quality of shifting also. Have not found anyone close that is capable of balancing that monster of a crank. Since they are supposed to be zero balance anyway not as big a deal as getting the rods and pistons within in a couple grams but it is annoying that we could not get that part done.

2004HPCR and slowmover like this.
  12. slowmover

“Monster of a crank . . “. Yeah. I recently carried a load of cylinder heads for big truck I6s and the BOL numbers showed each head at 1,971-lbs.

This (and that) ain’t cher Granny’s Slant Six.

slowmover , Dec 12, 2019
  13. 2004HPCR

Good information in this thread. Rod/piston balance definitely on my list of future plans.

2004HPCR , Dec 12, 2019
    slowmover likes this.
  14. cerberusiam Staff Member

Source yourself a set of 24V rods and get them magna-fluxxed so you are ready to go. If you are doing pistons go wit the QSB pistons for your years of truck, cheaper performance piston than Mahle.

cerberusiam , Dec 12, 2019
    slowmover likes this.
  15. slowmover

Mahle is hiring. Just drove past. You’d like Dayton, cerb ;)

slowmover , Dec 12, 2019
    2004HPCR likes this.
  16. cerberusiam Staff Member

Dayton, as in Ohio? NOT A CHANCE!!! Find a map, draw a line from Shreveport LA to Fargo ND, ain't lost nothing east of that line. While I MAY have to on rare occasion cross the Mississippi going east, but, it is under duress, against my wishes, and the stay will be as SHORT as possible.

cerberusiam , Dec 12, 2019
  17. slowmover

Ats why I posted it. Knew that Mingo is already the stuff of big city legend for some. (Tooted atcha one day on my way to Newcastle).

But I do recommend you have a longer look at the invasion headed north. Texas 4th graders are 27% American. We’re leaving in short while. Son is sixth generation from his mothers side.

The “U.S.” — properly understood — is the Bos-Wash corridor and then extending out along the north side of the Ohio to the Falls of the Ohio (Louisville). Chicago and back east including the Canuck side of the Lakes.

That’s the prize. Best farmland, all the manufacturing, best rail & water transportation. The rest of the country is colonial. Much of it failing to support itself.

Were there a war of invasion in the classical sense, it’s over once that area taken or successfully defended.

So, nice as are the folks in that area you described, unless you are an owner of land or resources, there’s not a future long-term.

80-acres of Ohio (or Indiana or Illinois) is worth more than 2,000-acres of a colony (is a way to look at it).

Prior to the USA, no one had ever successfully kept together a continent-size country. It was two weeks by messenger (horseback) from center that worked historically.

OKC far more than two weeks from Baltimore. (Don’t he fooled by present bad conditions some cities. That can be changed overnight).

In the meantime, OK just expelled a student for expressing very mildly his freedom of speech. FBI at his door. I see by the CITY street signs in Norman they’re building communism.

Step out your front door. Norman, you could throw a rock and hit it.

No more off-topic.

Cerb, writers online on the Right need a paycheck like anyone. Look to what’s NOT being said.

And thanks for your long-time diligence in matters of our keeping family Conestoga greased & ready.

Erase away, moderator.

slowmover , Dec 13, 2019
  18. cerberusiam Staff Member

Ummm, ok, sure. Not sure where you are going with that, but, truthfully it sounds like the meds dosage is a little high.

cerberusiam , Dec 14, 2019
    Doc Holiday likes this.
  19. p-Bar

Yeah he's quite history book. Maybe more Lithium?

p-Bar , Dec 14, 2019
  20. DannyW

But back to the injectors.....

After watching a couple of Youtubes, I"m thinking...I can do that. The only juicy part I haven't see yet is whether you can actually get that regulation injector extractor tool onto the back two. Is the tool actually even necessary....or can you pull them by hand? And can it be used on the back two cylinders. Injectorsdirect has new Bosch's for my truck on sale right now for about $2100 for a full set.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    DannyW , Dec 19, 2019