Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfbeetle

Regcabguy, thank you for this. I have used NTG on my ‘95 in the past. Today after work, I took the truck out on a drive from El Cajon to the bottom of the grade on I-8 and turned around at the 98 Calexico exit, climbed the hill and had to use the rest stop in Buckman Springs. While there, I checked the code reader and it had a pending p249e code which is a DEF fault. Guess what? I just bought some DEF at Home Depot in El Cajon and poured it in on Saturday.
    Do I drain and refill the DEF and hope it fixes itself? I’m at the point where I’m just about to trade this POS in for anything else. I don’t need it anymore since we got a motorhome and are not using our fifth wheel. I still have my ‘95 if the 5vr needed to be moved. So damn irritated with this 4th gen.

surfbeetle , Oct 10, 2022
  2. Regcabguy

Yep. Might be time to off it. I don't want a new one or a new car. I have a 2005 Honda Pilot w/237K on it that purrs and shifts like new.

Regcabguy , Oct 10, 2022
  3. surfbeetle

I drained, flushed the DEF tank with fresh DEF yesterday. Still no check engine light at that point. In fact, with the pending p249e, the light was off. Then I decided to pop off the connector to the DEF injector and check the Ohms, it showed 12 ohms which I understand to be acceptable. After plugging it back in and starting the truck, the check engine light was on and I have a permanent trouble code P2048. From what I understand, I need to replace the DEF injector so I now have one on order. We'll see what happens when it shows up next week. I put wd40 on the 10mm bolts holding the injector in place in anticipation of removing it. If this doesn't fix it, my wife will be driving something else after next week. She refuses to drive the truck now and has been driving my Challenger and I have been driving the 95 Cummins. If only I could get the dependability and simplicity of the 12 valve in the new trucks...

surfbeetle , Oct 14, 2022
  4. endoscott

I feel your pain, my 2014 has spent an inordinate amount of time in the dealers service bay. It's hard to have confidence pulling the 5th wheel that I won't get stuck in a bad spot. Big trip coming up, will see how it does. Thinking about getting in line for a 2023, but we will see what changes happen coming up. I wonder if Aisin will come out with a high tech 10 speed. I don't want Ford or Chevy truck.

endoscott , Oct 14, 2022
  5. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

The AISIN is just fine behind the in line 6. No need for more gears especially with the higher HP/TQ newer trucks.

Cummins12V98 , Oct 14, 2022
  6. endoscott

I love my Aisin and am fine with 6 speeds. But I dont think FCA or Stellantis or whoever it is agrees. I don't really love the idea of a ZF trans at all. I imagine Aisin will also be trying to keep up with the Joneses and come out with a newer transmission, 8 or 10 speed, dunno, but it makes sense. If I got a 2023 or 2024 with the same Aisin I have now, that would be great. Not in a big hurry to get a new truck, mine is in immaculate shape, but now that I am my own warranty station lets see what expensive repairs come up now.

endoscott , Oct 14, 2022
  7. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

None of these engines "need" more than 6 speeds, but it is nice. Offering 8-10 speeds isn't out of necessity, but is a refinement.

kthaxton , Oct 17, 2022
  8. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

No, it would be marketing. My new truck has a 10 speed and it seems like a waste. I skips gears a lot and seems to down shift two gears on a hill pull most of the time. Again marketing, as most are convenced that more gears are better. Running along in tenth at 65 pulling the trike on the trailer, come to a hill and it goes down shift to 9 and then right away to 8th and stays there.

My 2020 Ford edge ST 2.7K twin turbo had an 8 speed that was programed as a 7 speed in 2021 or 2022, getting rid of the old 2nd or 3rd gear.

SnoKing , Oct 17, 2022
  9. surfbeetle

Getting my thread back on track, I ended up with a DEF injector code so I bought another injector installed it. The port was clogged with def so I cleaned it. This all made the check engine light go out but I still have the P2048 code and the p249E pending code. I have driven 23 miles since I installed the new def injector. Will these two codes clear on their own?

surfbeetle , Oct 17, 2022