Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR

Tier IV final says anything over 75hp meet target emissions that can only be realistically achieved using SCR. Under 75hp has different target emissions that CAN be met using a DOC only. It's not cut and dry, it comes down to a combination of sizing limitations of the equipment, application requirements and manufacturer tuning.

This is Bobcats 74hp engine they use in a lot of equipment. The 74hp rating was very intentional. Other manufacturers have done similar.

https://www.bobcat.com/loaders/features/bobcat-engine?referer=/loaders/compact-track-loaders/models/t76/features&type=model

Here is Deere's (Yanmar) less than 75hp engine

https://www.enr.com/articles/43877-...-midsize-skid-steers-and-compact-track-loader

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    NIsaacs likes this.
  2. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Try driving a new Honda CRV.... these CVT cars are annoying, they rev like 4ell and slide up to speed.... Dont think I'll be buying a new"er" car anytime soon.

bcbender , Nov 12, 2021
  3. NIsaacs

Okay, thanks for the links. So 74 hp is the limit. So that is still an improvement from the sub compact at about 15-20hp that were exempt. Maybe they will get up into the bigger power units, like pickup trucks:)

NIsaacs , Nov 12, 2021
  4. JR

I am pretty sure 24hp and under engines are still exempt from tier IV. Up to 74hp still fall into tier IV
    has a ppm/nox requirement that some manufacturers are able to meet without the use of after treatment. But tier V is rumored to be on the horizon and if similar to euro v everything will end up with a fart can on it. The end game for regulators is to axe diesel or make it's technology so cumbersome that other so called clean technologies start looking more and more attractive. And it's working, slowly.

On the subject of aftertreatment, I think we are more likely to see these being implemented on pickups in the future. I have seen one in a crane that showed up on the job site for some heavy lifting. We used one of our 100 tonners to assist with the assembly so I got a good look at the machine. Just a guess but I am guessing cost is the reason we aren't seeing them on pickups, yet.

https://www.cummins.com/components/aftertreatment/single-module

5. Tuesdak

Do a 3 point U-Turn when the light's changes and oncoming traffic is approaching. Of course you need to do this often in a crew cab pickup regardless of bed size. Going from "D" to "R" to "D" I have done by feel in AT and MT vehicles forever. A good number of them didn't have a working gear indicator. The "NUMB" Rotary shift knob for the 8 speed is an utter design failure to do a 3 point U Turn. You got to look at it to select the gears.

Tuesdak , Nov 12, 2021
  6. Tinman TDR MEMBER

After treatment is here to stay and that's fine. The thing we all want to see go is EGR. The new Cummins industrial engines are after treatment only, no EGR. It Uses a single SCR (and a good bit more urea) and what they call a CUC (clean up catalyst) which I assume is a DPF type device. I assume part of the issue with that in a pickup is the size. It is quite large. I recently saw a Kubota ag tractor with the 6.7 Cummins and the after treatment device is big but I think can be put under the bed. Time will tell, but getting rid of EGR is the single best improvement we can hope for. We know it's possible. This (and the transmission) is what I'm waiting on. A full 5th gen would be nice. But it may end up going straight to 6th gen. Who knows anything at this point.

Tinman , Nov 13, 2021
    bcbender likes this.