Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

"Every 68RFE I have driven seems clunky, always seems to upshift too soon and lugs the engine"

Simply run TH all the time and the 68 is an excellent shifting trans. No lugging and it's always at the right rpm to take off smoothly. You WILL get a bit worse mileage running TH but I really don't care as I like the truck to respond when I want it to and not need to down shift to accelerate.

Cummins12V98 , Sep 22, 2021
  2. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I couldn't agree more, I did not buy another HD truck to whip around and post absurd FE numbers, (Id drive a dsl Jetta for that):D
    I drive it, the way I like, and dont worry about how much "power" or "MPG" I can achieve... I does what I want, when I want, and I only track FE to keep track of engine health. None of my RAM cummins trucks have historically done better than 9~11 towing and 15~17 empty... and considering what they can do its pretty impressive. (my Bronco and old Ram 1500 have a hard time doing better than 14 period)o_O

bcbender , Sep 22, 2021
  3. lpennock

My 06 3500 SRW w/G56 got better mileage towing my Rock Crawler Jeep Cherokee on a trailer than my Cherokee got running down the road. My 08 is about the same as the Cherokee. Either is more comfortable getting to the wheeling spot though.

lpennock , Sep 22, 2021
    bcbender likes this.
  4. GroundSquirrel

All I want is for the exhaust brake to stay on all the way down until I stop

GroundSquirrel , Sep 22, 2021
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

That's not possible with an automatic transmission, but with more than 6 speeds you can get closer.

I hear, thou haven't confirmed, that the new GM 10 speed will lock the torque converter in 1st. The article didn't say how slow it can go locked thou.

AH64ID , Sep 22, 2021
  6. Bug Out TDR MEMBER

The Taiwan chip factory IS HUGH.Being built off I-17 at the 303. At least 15+ crane booms in the air at one time.

Bug Out , Sep 22, 2021
    JR likes this.
  7. Minnow101

Seems odd for a chip plant that is wholly dependent on a huge water supply to be built in a desert.

Minnow101 , Sep 22, 2021
  8. lpennock

lpennock , Sep 22, 2021
  9. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Just because it's dry on top doesn't mean there isn't water below.

Cummins12V98 , Sep 22, 2021
  10. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I can get my 2008, truck's exhaust brake to work to 20 MPH as I slow down if needed. All I do is use the toggle switch to lock out the upper gears thus keeping the engine RPM'S above 1100. This (at least on my truck) seems to be the cutout point as to when the exhaust brake will cut out. This is for the 68RFE auto.

Jim W , Sep 23, 2021
    promisedland likes this.
  11. brillmtb1

brillmtb1 , Oct 19, 2021
  12. brillmtb1

Hate to be disagree but there are two things that are unacceptable in my mind. Throttle lag built into programming because they dont trust their transmission and warranty and lacking more than six speeds. My son who is 17 even nailed it when he said to me the truck is hunting for gears towing.....exactly!!!! thats why he got into West Point but I diverge....we need 8-10 gears on a diesel for towing, drivability, for those that change tire sizes, etc etc etc.

And the freaking lag built into the programming is way too conservative. My 03 5.9 could kick my 2017s ass off the line all day and it was more predictable pulling out into traffic. on this note my daughter asked me what was wrong with the truck and she is no nascar driver.

These are obvious flaws

As far as updating in 2027.... I might be dead by then :) I guess I need to reinstall the tuner on my 2017 and live with it or go to Chevy if they upgrade a few things...

When you pay this much for a truck you should get these simple refinements...

brillmtb1 , Oct 19, 2021
  13. bcbender TDR MEMBER

You must not have the AISIN,..... There is no 3rd gen that's beating the 19+ HO trucks in capability and refinement. Had the 04 and maybe "off the line" but that had a NV5600 / HO / 4:10s and would lose a race in towing, capability, comfort, etc every time... No contest, and I have a 2012 2500 with HO / 68RFE... that truck I would agree has too much lag and more than once has left me wondering if Im going to get hit by an oncoming car, but my 20' gets it!! right out the gate and no-one is knocking on my back door.

EDIT ( a 10spd is only going to help you out in slow / low speed operations, as NIsaacs has pointed out previously and while good for checking that box, not a major flaw as many people don't use them like that and the early 3rd gens were only 4spds.)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    bcbender , Oct 20, 2021
  14. Jim W TDR MEMBER

My 2008 truck has no throttle lag when I hit the go pedal. This truck will move off of the line easily and I have out accelerated Corvettes from a stop light for the first 20 or 30 feet. I can easily merge when pulling my Cedar Creek trailer on the interstate with traffic.

Jim W , Oct 20, 2021
    bcbender likes this.
  15. Regcabguy

A lot of these these sources want money now to read the story.

Regcabguy , Oct 22, 2021
  16. DHayden

Most of the auto "guru" sites these days arent worth the electronic paper they are written on. They dont seem to know simple things that are common knowledge to people that pay half attention to cars and trucks.

DHayden , Oct 22, 2021
    Jim W likes this.
  17. KCJackson1

To be fair, Automotive News has been around since 1925... far from a more recent "guru site". It's considered the bible of the American automotive industry.

KCJackson1 , Oct 22, 2021
  18. DHayden

I didnt mean to imply them, In general "Auto Journalists" these days that work for many previously credible institutions are ridiculous clueless. Just a general statement for my overall disgust. Didnt mean to offend anyone.

DHayden , Oct 22, 2021
  19. LocoPilot750

Ive got a GMC Acadia with a 9 speed, To me it's annoying as hell to drive, because it's constantly shifting, never seems to quit until youre up to speed, The 68 RFE has held up fine for me in three trucks, and less is better I think. I like the low rpm power of the Cummins, without having to keep the engine reved into next week like our GMC does. I drive commercial trucks part time, and they have 10 speed manuals, and I really hate those, usually starting out in 3rd or 4th if I can, just to make fewer shifts.

LocoPilot750 , Oct 29, 2021
  20. NIsaacs

Is no DPF or SCR getting close for Cummins?

I was looking at Bobcat and Case compact loaders and both show new engines without it. Kubota still has it.

NIsaacs , Nov 12, 2021
    AH64ID likes this.