Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

As mentioned above the Fumoto leaves more oil on the pan. I always add 11 5/8 quarts even with draining overnight. On level ground cold I am right on the full mark.

I am going to add one to my 350 in my boat so I can add a hose to it and drain right out the back thru the boats drain hole in the transom.

Cummins12V98 , May 7, 2018
  2. Newsa

The valve on my metal Rhino drain pan gets plugged with soot. To clear it, I have to push a wire through it (opposite to the direction of oil flow). Maybe the soot is preventing the flow of draining oil? Or at least slowing it down? I can wipe off the soot that the wire pushes back through. But you might need to remove the valve to wipe off the soot clog so it doesn't try to go back through the valve and clog it back up?????

Newsa , May 7, 2018
  3. JackFate

I have the genos no spill drain plug. It doesn’t hang down past the original. Only downside is cost $38 +18 for drain tube. Works well very neat operation

JackFate , May 7, 2018
  4. TowPro

The short valve (104-S i think) has a hose that snaps on it for draining. Had one on my 15 but don't remember where I got.it.

TowPro , May 7, 2018
  5. 6V92TA

6V92TA , May 8, 2018
  6. Cummins2014

Maybe they have one you can put a padlock on :D

Cummins2014 , May 8, 2018
  7. Cummins2014

Its not like its a half quart , but a fair amount. I will catch whats remaining this next time coming up , and see how much. I was surprised to see the amount that came out the first time I pulled the Fumoto . I have done this twice now, and it let more oil out after removing the valve.

8. MLee TDR MEMBER

When I got mine I looked at the length of the threads and cut slits down a couple threads so that the oil would pretty much drain out. did this just as a precaution of oil retention.

MLee , May 8, 2018
  9. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

Why not just remove the Fumoto valve at the end of the drain to let the rest out? This was my plan for the future if more oil come out, but it didn't.

However, with several folks saying they did the same thing with the opposite result, perhaps I should do it again and maybe wait a little longer.

kthaxton , May 8, 2018
  10. Cummins2014

I believe my Fumoto has the same length threads as the OEM plug, well if those threads are protruding inside the pan, there is no way its going to let all the oil out, I will check this out next oil change .

11. Cummins2014

The oil comes out immediately when I pull the Fumoto. It make sense to me if those threads are protruding inside the pan there is no way all the oil can drain, and I don't see any other way other then pulling the Fumoto, if that is a concern for someone.

12. 6V92TA

it really doesn't matter, on most oil changes at best you get 85% of the oil out of the engine

6V92TA , May 8, 2018
  13. Newsa

It probably doesn't matter that you have an increasing layer of soot on the bottom of your oil.pan because those are probably the largest partcles that will never (not likely) get picked up by the oil pick up tube. And even if they did, it would get immediately filtered out. I imagine the largest soot particles just stay in the bottom of the pan.

Newsa , May 8, 2018
  14. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

If not maybe I should invent one!

Cummins12V98 , May 8, 2018
  15. 6V92TA

the reason you are instructed to drain the oil while hot is because particulates are in suspension in the oil..

6V92TA , May 8, 2018
  16. Newsa

If the threads of the installed drain valve protrude up into the oil pan 1/8 or. 3/16 of an inch, I'm not sure changing hot oil vs changing cold oil will remove the soot from the bottom of the pan.

Newsa , May 8, 2018
  17. 6V92TA

soot isn't in the bottom of the pan, its micrscopic and doesn't have nough mass to settle out of the oil... basically the stuff that isn't filtered out ts mixed in the oil.

6V92TA , May 8, 2018
  18. TCDiesel

C'mon.. if the soot is building OAs will provide the facts ..My Insolubles have never changed......Here's how I do things... All My vehicles have Auto Start, I start the engine Gather My simple after running a 2-3 minutes Close the valve After sample place the drain funnel under valve open Valve Press the FOB button that shutsdown the engine and drain remaining. The Fuel shop is so Busy and after selling My store fronts I don't do Service work anymore. I've been doing OAs for 15+ Years on My owned Business and personal Vehicles.

Attached Files:

TCDiesel , May 8, 2018
  19. 6V92TA

at the end of all this nonsense, when you change the oil you don't get all of it.. stuff clings to everything and is in all the oil passages, cooler, cyclinder head etc..

if you drained the oil and pulled the pan.... tomorrow and for a few days afterward you will still have oil dripping on the ground.

6V92TA , May 8, 2018
  20. Newsa

Although dispersants do try to prevent soot from clumping together and settling out to the bottom, it still happens.

https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=12875

Newsa , May 8, 2018