Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcbender TDR MEMBER

hahaha... Yeah just no sense in it, I don't need to contort over the front end, risk scratching the paint, etc when its not an issue. but this topic has been beaten to death on many threads and like many things will not be solved here.

bcbender , Nov 9, 2021
    Topzide and Cummins2014 like this.
  2. Cummins2014

Does it really need to be solved , it's a bit entertaining . Although it does give two schools of thought . What you don't hear is many that have tried both methods. I am one that has . IMO hands down easier thru the fender . The cap for the filter is a small price to pay, $7.50 is not going to break the bank.:)

Cummins2014 , Nov 9, 2021
    Diesel Gunner and Topzide like this.
  3. bcbender TDR MEMBER

nah...Im ok with the entertainment.. :cool:

I just prefer not to remove parts unnecessarily, I did move from a 04 then 12' both out the bottom so I was surprised when my 20 was that way when I did my first change, (did not follow on the forum) but not hard enough IMHO to justify opening up the intake tract and introducing a possible leak point.

bcbender , Nov 9, 2021
    cumminsnoob and Cummins2014 like this.
  4. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Two band clamps, that's it and then easy access on 19's and up. Still skeptical anyone is adding one quart to their filter and with one hand reaching in and screwing the filter on. Along with not spilling a drop.

Scratching the fender? So no one has a cover they use?

Shown this before but if I did the thru fender I would have been stranded along the road.

145DDAB7-4468-43D5-B0FB-6F8D5C01F4E8.jpeg #ad

Cummins12V98 , Nov 9, 2021
  5. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Yep.. both times so far no issues longest part of the job is waiting for the filter to fill up.... :cool:
    Of course standing in the wheel well with it on the lift makes it even easier

bcbender , Nov 9, 2021
    KPotter and Cummins2014 like this.
  6. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I have several sets, but I would have to wash the dirt off the truck first, and that would add yet another step..

bcbender , Nov 9, 2021
    Cummins2014 likes this.
  7. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Ok everyone is set in their ways. But the newbies that read this will understand how easy the 19’s up are to change from the top with no special tools.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 9, 2021
  8. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

No doubt.

kthaxton , Nov 9, 2021
    Topzide and Cummins2014 like this.
  9. Cummins2014

Ron, we are lying it can't be done thru the fender , just want to hassle "YOU" a little bit . :D My son ,and I do our own maintenance on our Ram trucks, my job on both is removing ,and replacing the oil filter , he gets the fuel filters. :) I fill the filter 3/4 full ,if that's a quart so be it ,if not that's okay too.

The filter going in thru the bottom doesn't have much room to go anywhere but up, and yes I do it with one hand. It's very easy to feel the threads ,and get it screwed back on , its no mystery, and no I don't spill a drop .

As said in a different thread , my youngest son has a 2022 Ram 3500 on order . We will still do it the same thru the fender ,unless there is not enough room to remove it, haven't heard there was not .

But guess what, when it becomes time we will take into consideration your special tools for the Aisin fluid change. :rolleyes:

Cummins12V98 and bcbender like this.
  10. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

But, it will run better when clean!!!!

SnoKing , Nov 9, 2021
  11. Cummins2014

Kinda hung up on that special tool thing aren't you ? Tell me how many special tools do you have to do other jobs ,that could be done without ,but just makes the job "EASIER"

Hell ,Ron I have bought tools to do a job just once to make it easier, and could have gotten by without. Sometimes just saving some time ,and effort is worth it, you should know that being in construction .

12. Cummins2014

You never came back ,and declared a winner.:rolleyes: All I saw was some snide remark about height , you just insulted all us short guys :(

13. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

This small set of replies in not a definitive survey. I do not care how Ron, you or anyone else changes their filter. As I have stated, I have had three RAM/Cummins trucks(1993, 2001.5 and 2015) I changed the filters from the top on all three, start in 1994 and ending in 2020. Also I had two 4B150's in the boat(1996 to 2015) that required changing the filter with one hand and hated that. That is my story and yours my vary.

I drink beer with Ron once in a while, ride motorcycles with him, and have gone to diner with him and his wife. He is a great guy, if you are ever around when he and I are together you are welcome to have a beer with us.

Right now I am on my first of two of these a day!

large_51955822-35c0-4f7e-af82-f6edebc52bbb.jpeg #ad

SnoKing , Nov 9, 2021
    Cummins12V98 likes this.
  14. Cummins2014

Never got the taste for IPA's , but I have a grandson ,and his dad that are quite fond of IPA's. I'm just a regular beer kinda guy, thanks for the offer . Hope to get down to Arizona this winter if it all goes well .

But ,But ,I think thru the fender was a clear winner on this thread. :D

15. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Ha... I have been so busy, I think I haven't washed it in months..:mad:. maybe the last time was when I took the photo on the cover of the 2022 calendar..:rolleyes:.

bcbender , Nov 9, 2021
  16. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Right there with ya.. on my second IPA!... I enjoy bantering back and forth with both of ya!!.. Next time Im in AZ... I let ya know, I usually have plenty in my 5er!

bcbender , Nov 9, 2021
  17. Cummins2014

I'll send that son, and grandson of mine down ,you better have plenty on hand.:D Yes I enjoy the bantering ,but it seems we lost Ron .:rolleyes:

18. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Sure I have bought or made special tools but for someone that has a 19 and up and does not want to buy or use a special tool they don't need to and they should be able to hear that is an option.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 10, 2021
  19. Cummins2014

Ron, I agree 100% , anyone changing that oil filter needs to hear both sides of the story. I have always made the point that anyone changing that filter needs to try it both ways before deciding on what's the better way. All I know here is that I have ,and I repeat , its easier for "ME" thru the fender .

Not to derail this important thread :D , but how is that transmission coming along on your truck. nothing posted lately ??

Cummins2014 , Nov 11, 2021
    Topzide and bcbender like this.
  20. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Status since last Friday is "Dearborn" with response to urgent express shipping "Reviewing" and delivery date 22nd. SUCKS!!!

Back to the "OIL FILTER WARS THREAD" :D

Update the new delivery date is the 16th!!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    Cummins12V98 , Nov 11, 2021