1. GAmes TDR MEMBER

Southbend makes a HD clutch linkage for the '97 and earlier 2nd gens. The newer version won't attach to the firewall without modifications. My transmission didn't come with a shifter either. I bought mine from Dodge, couldn't find another source in 2010. The only way I can see to "short throw" would be to shorten the stick itself. I wouldn't bother with an adapter. You won't be drag racing will you?

GAmes , May 5, 2022
  2. GAmes TDR MEMBER

If you are deciding on oil, I do not recommend the ATF+4 the Dodge uses. Either a good synchromesh oil, I used Pennsoil for awhile, or Mobil Delvac 1 SAE50 synthetic. It is the closest thing to Mercedes oil sold in the US but doesn't like cold weather. Shifting can get difficult until the oil heats up a bit. When I was using the synchromesh I put 302k on mine before the input bearing failed. 375k so far on the Mobil Delvac.

GAmes , May 5, 2022
  3. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

I'd ask SBC about the hydraulics and the clutch. I'd recommend against a short throw shifter. If the transmission doesn't have one or the folks you're getting the transmission from don't have one, I'd hit car-part.com and find one.

EDIT: Treed by Gary....

BigPapa , May 5, 2022
  4. Seabee TDR MEMBER

Believe it or not the new transmission arrived yesterday! Pretty quick service. Not sure why a MN company shipped me a transmission out of Dallas TX, but I'm happy anyway.
    South Bend said they can update my clutch to accept the G56. Different clutch hub and pilot bearing is all I'm thinking, as I had already upgraded to their 13X1.25 OK HD clutch with the NV4500. Hope to hear back from them today. The NV4500 had input shaft wear at the pilot bearing, but the pilot bearing feels good?! About .020 clearance between the two now?! The input looks like there was too much clearance to begin with and the shaft/bearing fretted away material from each other. Interesting.
    I ordered an aftermarket shift lever and boot. Hope they are here soon.
    Ordered 2 gallons of Delvac 50 trans oil (thanks Gary).
    I still need to modify the crossmember and get some HD hydraulics from South Bend.
    Then on to modifying driveshafts.
    Need to figure out transfercase shifter mount.
    Won't be on the road soon!

Seabee , May 10, 2022
  5. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Sounds like a fun/challenging project. Please post pics along the way.

Cummins12V98 , May 10, 2022
  6. Seabee TDR MEMBER

Juuuuust a little size difference! G56 vs NV4500.jpeg #ad

Seabee , May 11, 2022
  7. bcbender TDR MEMBER

at least looks like you can reuse your PTO fast coolers?

bcbender , May 11, 2022
  8. Seabee TDR MEMBER

I believe so. It does require a different "attachment kit" (bolts I'm guessing). I may have an exhaust clearance problem on the passenger side. I'll put them on after the transmission is installed just to make sure they will fit.

Seabee , May 11, 2022
  9. GAmes TDR MEMBER

More than bolts. They need an adapter, basically a flat piece of metal gasket. They will leak around the edges without the adapters. https://zzdiesel.com/G56_KIT-Fast-C...PzrN3mwl1e_dGYJOEHGfrihBFG7MIK1xoC_e0QAvD_BwE

GAmes , May 11, 2022
    Seabee likes this.
  10. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I took my EXH side fast cooler into the shop and milled about 30mm off it to make more clearance to the down pipe and got shorter bolts. I also used engine sealant and never had any leaks but mine was on a NV5600... At that time I wrapped the downpipe with thermal tape to keep the heat away as a third precaution.

Best of luck on your conversion.

bcbender , May 12, 2022
    Seabee likes this.
  11. Seabee TDR MEMBER

Well, the new clutch et up arrived today! I went ahead and ordered the complete kit with the later HD hydraulics. I am going to adapt the new master cylinder to my 97. It can't be that hard to accomplish?!?! New G56 OK HD clutch kit.jpeg

Seabee , May 13, 2022
  12. Seabee TDR MEMBER

G56 TRANSFERCASE SHIFTER MOUNT.jpeg I have completed the mods to the crossmember and made the tcase shifter mount. I have been distracted with getting my GPW ready for the Willys reunion this Friday. Did a test tow with my 52 Willys Delivery and broke the mainshaft in the transmission!! I think God is trying to tell me something................... View attachment 133688

Seabee , May 18, 2022
  13. Seabee TDR MEMBER

MODIFIED TCASE SHIFT ROD AND BENT LEVER.jpeg MODIFIED TCASE SHIFT ROD AND BENT LEVER.jpeg Modified crossmember bottom welded on.jpeg

Seabee , May 18, 2022
  14. Seabee TDR MEMBER

modified crossmember.jpeg

Seabee , May 18, 2022
  15. GAmes TDR MEMBER

Looking good so far.

GAmes , May 18, 2022
  16. Seabee TDR MEMBER

Thanks Gary. I test fitted the crossmember to the trans/transfercase and had plenty of clearance. I have the new SBC G56 OK HD clutch installed.
    I tried to take a look at installing the Gen 3 hydraulics. Honestly, I almost threw my back out getting under the dash! Am I correct that the stock Gen 2 hydraulics do not have enough throw for the G56 clutch? If the Gen 2 hydros will work, I may see if SBC will trade me a Gen 2 HD set up for the Gen 3 set up. The new Gen 3 hydros came in the new clutch kit and I couldn't get anyone to substitute the Gen 2 hydros.
    Glad this truck isn't a daily that I HAVE to fix quickly!!

Seabee , May 18, 2022
  17. GAmes TDR MEMBER

For the first 100k or so I used the stock Dodge hydraulics. When it failed I was in SW Colorado and had no choice but to install another Dodge linkage. It lasted about 11 months and failed on a snowy day in TN. That's where I met Big Papa and had an SBC linkage installed. I've had to replace it for leakage some time back but I replaced it with another SBC.

GAmes , May 19, 2022
  18. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.....

BigPapa , May 19, 2022
  19. Seabee TDR MEMBER

That is good news. I ran the stock hydros on the NV4500 SBC clutch. You could feel a little more pedal pressure was required, but worked great. I know I need to put on a new set up soon, especially with the truck being nearly 26 years old! Hard to believe.............

Seabee , May 19, 2022
  20. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

You’ll like the SBC hydraulics.

BigPapa , May 19, 2022