Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seafish

Any idea which year the change in offset started?

seafish , Sep 16, 2022
  2. Jim W TDR MEMBER

On my 2008 third gen truck, I use LT285/70R 17 126R Nitto Dura Grappler tires and I am extremely happy with them. I purchased the tires in April of 2015, and only used them towing my 5th wheel. The tires are used from April to Nov. each year putting about 5000 to 7,000 miles on them. They are mounted on Mickey Thompson rims with zero offset. I will need to replace them next year 2023, and if I can order the Nitto Dura Grapplers again. For winter tires I use the stock size Michelin M/S tires.

I am not sure if the Dura Grapples are available in the 18" tire size but as I stated I am extremely happy with the tread life.

Jim W , Sep 16, 2022
  3. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

When they went to the Radius arm front end so 2013 for 3500 , 2014 for 2500. I should note the new Power Wagons are still around +44mm instead of the +57.

AEdelheit , Sep 16, 2022
    AH64ID and seafish like this.
  4. Regcabguy

Regcabguy , Sep 16, 2022
  5. Signal73

I bought them road force balanced, the suspect tire had no weight required. I had a jiggle so I took it to a friends shop, and it still jiggled. Third shop did better but not great. The 2 shops with spin balancers added weight. Third shop second attempt yesterday made a tremendous improvement. I think I can live with it. Knobby 35s just aren’t going to ride as smooth as the factory firestone HTs and I have to accept that.

Signal73 , Sep 16, 2022
  6. 06 Dodge

I ran the Cooper STT on my 06 as a dedicated fall/winter tire with center sipe in IA and loved them but never did tow heavy with them on...

06 Dodge , Sep 16, 2022
    seafish likes this.
  7. MConyers

Later 4th gen Laramie wheels, 18's w/ stock size Firestone HTs on my 2011 rubbed at full lock. They sat in farther, guessing it might be the same on a 3rd gen; but, don't have any first hand experience.

Wheels in question:
    New wheels: https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/16363/aly2476-dodge-ram-2500-3500-wheel-polished-1ud29xzaaa.html

Factory wheels: https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/727/aly2384-dodge-ram-2500-3500-wheel-polished-1hl36trmaa.html

Edit to add, on the tire front.

Transforce HTs have been a lot better than the Transforce AT tires as far as traction on the road (wet or dry), snow etc. for me, new tires. Transforce HTs were fine for my use case, never went over 10k with a set though (traded off). STT Pro's were superior to the Transforce, either tire, in every way except noise. I'll likely be going to a Cooper tire of some sort on the '22 when it is due. I drive more highway miles now and unloaded vs. towing ratio has gone more toward unloaded; so, I'll have to re-evaluate the options at some point as well.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    MConyers , Sep 17, 2022
  8. Cummins2014

Absolutely, have had mine on now for nearly 6 months. no doubt for me the best AT tire I have ran ,and I have run many brands . Previous tire was the Toyo At2's , not a bad tire ,but no where near the handling ,and feel of these Coopers . Time will tell on how well they will wear ,but unless they wear out quicker then I think they will, I will continue to run them . Hopefully having Goodyear buying them out they won't mess them up as time goes on . Not a Goodyear tire fan.

Cummins2014 , Sep 17, 2022
    AH64ID and 06 Dodge like this.
  9. GBourne

Due to the tire recall on my 21 3500 SRW, I just upgraded to the Falken Wildpeak At3w's in a 285/75/18 (Stock height, no rub). About 100 miles on them now, and have zero complaints...

they have great reviews as well.

Taking them on the first road trip this Friday and will update if I end up with anything that I don't like. (no news is good news)

GBourne , Sep 18, 2022
    AH64ID likes this.
  10. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

I ha
    I had those on my Sequoia and loved them, super quiet and great winter traction!

AEdelheit , Sep 19, 2022
  11. Cummins2014

I looked at the Wildpeak also, they were a bit more spendy then the Cooper , both had great reviews ,and got some good replies about them on the forums . The Coopers had a rebate at the time , so saving a few bucks on the price plus the rebate swayed me to the Coopers ,so far as said no disappointments . Have towed my fifth wheel now around 5K miles ,and they have done great . As said before the handling has been impressive .
    I believe the Coopers has about the best mile warranty you can get on an AT tire .

Cummins2014 , Sep 20, 2022
  12. crispyboy

Currently running stock size 265/70/17 Michelin AT2. About 10k miles. So far so good for my use which is mostly highway mixed in with a bit of gravel, cow pastures and cow manure. The truck sometimes smell very "cow-ish" when I park in the garage..... The tires do have a bit of "sing" on the highway. Much more than the older Firestone AT tires.

crispyboy , Sep 21, 2022
  13. seafish

OK..I am now seriously considering the Toyo Open Country RT in a 285/70/17 LRE or a 295/70/17LRE.

They are rated at 3195# each and have a 3ply sidewall construction, making them stiffer and more puncture resistant then a standard AT.

Its a hybrid AT/MT with excellent reviews from Dodge truck and other on/off road vehicle owners..

They DO come with a 45k wear warranty, NOT that I expect to get that much out of ANY tire in a non stock size.

The only downside is that4 of them will run about $2000 taxed and installed

Heres a pic--

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 3.57.01 PM.png #ad

seafish , Sep 21, 2022
  14. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Oversized tires often last longer since there is more rubber, and more width to absorb the torque.

Cooper also has a new MT with a mileage warranty.

Toyo may have changed, but they burned their bridge with me a long time ago. Overpriced and poor performing. I won’t run them again.

AH64ID , Sep 21, 2022
    Cummins2014 likes this.
  15. Joseph Donnelly

On my 2013, Nittos gave 1.5 mpg lower than the original Firestone highway treads. I went to Bridgestone highways and seem to have gotten the mpg back. I got 12 mpg towing where I used to get 10.

Joseph Donnelly , Sep 21, 2022
  16. Cummins2014

I agree . Not sure anything has changed it appears with the newer Toyo’s. As said in my previous post , the handling , and wear was not that great . These Rams are a bit tough on tires , but I’m expecting a bit better mileage out of the Coopers , plus they are a nice looking tire . I noticed the better handling with the Coopers right off . Same here no more Toyo’s. Never tried the Nittos , but if the Coopers do okay , I’m not changing .

Cummins2014 , Sep 21, 2022
    AH64ID likes this.
  17. Turbo Terry

The all weather roads have did a number on the stock factory tires Firestone HT Will check dread depth when I go out in a bit . Time to rotate these tires and add the spare to the mix. 11 k. Will put the worst one back under for a spare. I will be looking at Coopers XLT or LT in the near future myself

Turbo Terry , Sep 22, 2022
  18. Turbo Terry

Firestones started out at about 12/32 and now are about 10/32 thread. So 10 k miles 3500 on all weather roads not to bad for hauling that much weight . Will make it thru the winter just fine if I rotate them . When does the warranty go off at 10 k ?

Turbo Terry , Sep 22, 2022