Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

It’s not a fine line, it’s a proven maintenance procedure… plain and simple.

I had manual hubs with serviceable bearings and have no intentions of spending my money on that setup again. It wasn’t worth the cost or increased maintenance.

AH64ID , Dec 23, 2021
    bcbender and Ozymandias like this.
  2. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Would you recommend refilling sealed gas shocks with more nitrogen? Borris is smiling down at these no parts required fixes and service intervals.

Darkbloodmon , Dec 23, 2021
  3. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Apples to oranges…

I was skeptical at first, but it’s been proven to be very effective.

AH64ID , Dec 23, 2021
    CoastyAV8R likes this.
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Oh, just forgot about that.

As soon as you have factory Aluminum wheels on a Gen4 - they don't fit over the Freespin Hubs. Only the basic steel rims fit.

So that leaves these kits more or less for the Tradesman trim level.

Ozymandias , Dec 24, 2021
  5. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

3rd gen Aluminum wheels will still clear. I'm using a factory 5 spoke set currently. Verify the hub bore required for the hubs before purchasing. Spyntec said only the factory 17" steelies would fit in the assembly manual but it may have been outdated at the time it was printed. There should be a measurement in the assembly manual for quick reference.

Darkbloodmon , Dec 25, 2021
  6. verk

The Spyntec kit was definitely less expensive when I installed in about 2013. I remember it well believing at the time that Dynatrac was the better setup, but that that cost difference was not justifiable. I installed this setup at 63k when one of the hubs failed. I measured >=1 mpg improvement, but more importantly appreciated the change in steering feel and 2wd low in combination with manual transmission making parking, hooking up trailers and moving around in tight spaces a pleasure. This thread is acting as a reminder for inspecting grease and bearings. I've copied the email from Solid Axle below:

verk , Dec 25, 2021
    Darkbloodmon and Cumminsboy77 like this.
  7. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

I think the New Gen 4 wheels will clear the hubs offered by RAM man . Ford has the same style wheel hub design on their new 250 and 350 trucks.

EDankievitch , Dec 26, 2021
  8. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Looks like they will.

They utilize the factory style unit bearings, and recommend greasing them every 24K miles.

AH64ID , Dec 26, 2021
  9. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Ram Man? The company that does not deliver parts that are paid for and do not respond to customers emails and phone calls?

Ozymandias , Dec 26, 2021
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  10. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

I've heard about him aswell in this light.

Darkbloodmon , Dec 26, 2021
  11. verk

https://www.dynatrac.com/downloads/2014-2016-Dodge-Free-Spin-Kit-Fitment-Notification-V1.pdf lists the wheels that will work with freespin hubs on a 4th gen. One of these says 2010-2012 Factory RAM wheels which I'm guessing is steel ?

verk , Dec 26, 2021
  12. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I'd say so yes. All Alloy wheels that I know from Gen4 trucks have the enclosed center.

Ozymandias , Dec 26, 2021
  13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I don’t think the enclosed center happened until 2013 when 18’s and 20’s were introduced. In 2010-2012 17’s and 3rd Gen style hub cap centers will still used.

AH64ID , Dec 26, 2021
    verk and Ozymandias like this.
  14. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

You can have the hubs of the new style wheels opened up. But it’s a pain to do.

EDankievitch , Dec 27, 2021
  15. verk

Since there was discussion on this thread about using 4+ gen wheels with lock out hubs ( freespin kits ) I've attached a graphic of current Mopar truck wheel offerings showing #1-3 with larger center bore wheels that should support such kits. I'm pretty sure #2 is unchromed wheel, #3 is chromed, no idea about #1. I'd be interested in offsets of wheels #1-3 if somebody knows or can determine with a look at the wheel stamping.

current Mopar wheel offerings.png #ad

verk , Jan 7, 2022
  16. Regcabguy

I've got 230K on my Honda's wheel bearings. I don't know what Honda does but their parts last for the most part.
    Had I known about greasing the hubs I'd probably still have them. I've seen the havoc that a seized bearing reeks when it seizes

Regcabguy , Feb 10, 2022
    bcbender and AH64ID like this.
  17. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Behind Honda is Beck and Arnley, behind Beck and Arnley is Koyo.

It pays to know the relationship between brand, distributor, and actual manufacturer.

Darkbloodmon , Feb 11, 2022
  18. bcbender TDR MEMBER

FWIW... The free-spin kits are similar in my opinion to adding a GV over/ underdrive. You will never see any cost benefit or enough fuel savings to justify the cost, then there is the maintenance. I went 200k miles on my 04 and only change bearings once ($150) but it was due to dealer tech negligence in overtightening the axle nut that ruined my bearing and I change the other out of an abundance of caution.

JM2C, some like em, but definitely limits what you can do wheel wise for sure.

bcbender , Feb 11, 2022
  19. Regcabguy

They're doing something right.

Regcabguy , Feb 11, 2022