1. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I chucked the bolts in lathe and made own greasable bolts! Way cheaper the buying them and was an excuse to play with the lathe. What a difference! Much quieter when towing, none of the squeaking with suspension flex!

Topzide , Nov 4, 2021
    NIsaacs and bcbender like this.
  2. JR

Dexter Wet bolt kits for 7k axles cost $200, thats including greasable equalizers, bronze bushings (very important) and heavy duty shackle links.
    You can save a little money and drill and tap your equalizers out if they are not worn out because the junk nylon bushings wore thru and wiped out your eyelet.

At any rate, if I can get into a lathe for less than that I'm in! :D:D

NIsaacs likes this.
  3. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@JR ,Well, when you have a lathe, why not use it! It's just a mini lathe, but big enough to do the bolts! Making chips is a lot of fun! I find myself making bushings, rods and other odd and ends. Made a cap to seal fuel inlet to keep the crap out and also a plug to fit my fuel transfer tank nozzle to keep it clean. Sometimes it's just useless things you turn to develop a project or to see if your idea will work. Have turned some steel and aluminum into magnets. Make shape you like, drill out and insert strong magnet into recess!

Topzide , Nov 4, 2021
    bcbender, NIsaacs and JR like this.
  4. JR

A lathe is One of many tools I've always wanted. If I had more money I'd be more dangerous than I already am :D

bcbender likes this.
  5. NIsaacs

For $200 I can rebuild the plastic ones 10 times:)

I have not seen wet bolt kits for 2" slipper springs, they don't use shackles.

JR, are you talking about this type equalizer? My Lamar has a wet bolt here for the center. My Load trail car trailer is a rubber bushing, no grease.

download (2).png #ad

NIsaacs , Nov 5, 2021
  6. bcbender TDR MEMBER

That's the same one my Kaufman gooseneck uses, wet bolt on the pivot, I replaced them when I did new axles a few months ago.

bcbender , Nov 5, 2021
    NIsaacs likes this.
  7. NIsaacs

Can you share why the new axles? Trailer size, gvw and pictures? I am a dump trailer fanatic:)

NIsaacs , Nov 5, 2021
  8. bcbender TDR MEMBER

well, kinda long story but heres the short version... When I got it, it had NO BRAKES, so I tore it down and found all the brakes completely covered in grease, oil and everything imaginable.. turns out the person I bought it from put the wrong seals in and they were too small so when it got to temp all the grease went out.:eek:. I looked into replacement parts, Kaufman sells them factory direct which is local to me. to replace the brakes, it only made sense to do the backing plates as they are cheaper than the shoes themselves (~90$) but by the time I do bearings, seals etc.. (replacement drums were $150) a replacement axle with new springs and everything was only $100 more... I figured my time was worth that so I did the pair and went from 6k to 7k axles. took about an hr to do the whole job and all is new... no worries.:D I cant complain as its a 20 year old trailer I paid 3k for, has a new deck, elec, and now axles so good for another 20.

bcbender , Nov 5, 2021
    Larry Willard and NIsaacs like this.
  9. NIsaacs

Good job! I like the way you think.

This guy is having a bad day. He made the mistake of posting on a trailer forum I frequent and brought out all the weight police:D

He might over load and might not, maybe he hauls off highway like I do. Whatever the case is, it should not have happened. That frame flange looks awful thin for 12k axles.

252463125_1223468364827247_34625211191720475_n.jpg #ad

NIsaacs , Nov 5, 2021
  10. bcbender TDR MEMBER

WOW... ya, mine has a bigger gusset and I think another piece of flat bar in that location.

bcbender , Nov 7, 2021
  11. NIsaacs

Almost done with the conversion, still lack one o-ring boss #6 straight and both tee's. Sunday is not a good day to find parts, I did get all 4 hoses made, that was good.

I moved one battery out of the large section of the tool box and turned the existing one, for clearance to add the second pump. I wired one battery per pump and jumped the batteries together. I am going to run both controllers for independent use of each pump or both.

I will be all in for about $600 v/s $1200 for the double pump, plus what they don't furnish for the install.

1107210816.jpg #ad
    1107211005.jpg #ad
    1107211508a.jpg #ad
    1107211508.jpg #ad

NIsaacs , Nov 7, 2021
  12. NIsaacs

Finished the two pump install. I like it! With two pumps in operation, it goes about twice as fast, as expected.

NIsaacs , Nov 8, 2021
    JR and Topzide like this.
  13. Jdorfmeyer

Best movie I've seen all year :) Didn't realize they were that slow but looks like the second pump did help quite a bit!

Jdorfmeyer , Nov 8, 2021
    NIsaacs likes this.
  14. NIsaacs

:D:D

Here is a good side by side comparison of a single pump v/s dual pump. Note the bank of batteries.

NIsaacs , Nov 8, 2021
  15. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Update on my Sons totaled Dump Trailer. Insurance paid him 8k and he kept it. Had it repaired for around 2k and advertising it for $15,900 with several interested. He paid $12,500 in May of last year so he will do well on this deal.

Can anyone recommend a "GOOD" Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney in the DFW, TX area???

Issues with his truck, they drilled the holes for the pucks and gooseneck off center. So the bed is no good.

Edit, he just told me he sold it for 15k.

AF4C1F4B-7C8A-44A1-A152-890030A16CDD.jpeg #ad
    AAB90B6B-B476-4CE3-8923-8ADBA3627FDF.jpeg #ad
    C3C84EFA-60C4-4893-B7A9-0F146BE5C73F.jpeg #ad

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Cummins12V98 , Nov 18, 2021
    AH64ID likes this.
  16. NIsaacs

NIsaacs , Nov 18, 2021
    JR likes this.
  17. JR

The riser sure looks off. What kind of repairs were done?

NIsaacs likes this.
  18. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Not sure but the riser was replaced and my son confirmed it's installed correctly and plumb. It's his phone as I have questioned other pics that sure didn't look correct.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 18, 2021
    NIsaacs likes this.
  19. NIsaacs

Whelp, that lasted quick. Started with a 5' bit on the way down to 22'. At 17' the hole caved in, mostly quick sand I guess. So now the hole is 10' wide x 8' deep....sluffed off, clear under the building. First two loads were mud, second two were liquid mud, heavyyy!

0210220955.jpg #ad
    0210221151a.jpg #ad

NIsaacs , Feb 10, 2022
    HPSimpson and AH64ID like this.
  20. JR

OK, I've looked twice and still lost. Sometimes It doesn't take much :D
    What in the world are you digging that big of a hole for right up next to the building? Which trailer is that in the bottom pic?
    How did the hydraulics handle the weight?

bcbender and NIsaacs like this.