1. RustyJC

Not true. Many heavier 5th wheels come with the G-rated LT235/85R16G Goodyear G614 RST rated 3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG. Our DRV Mobile Suites came with H-rated 215/75R17.5 Goodyear G114s rated 4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG.

Rusty

RustyJC , May 20, 2016
  2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Did a LUXE Factory tour yesterday. They used to run the GY "G" tires, for 2017 ALL their RV's have GY "H" tires.

Some have stepped up and started running Sailun instead of the Chicom "E" will pops. Sailun are Chinese made but of much higher quality. My preference is GY "G" or "H" tires.

Cummins12V98 , May 21, 2016
  3. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

"Our DRV Mobile Suites came with H-rated 215/75R17.5 Goodyear G114s rated 4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG."

This is a day to remember!!! Rusty has posted something that is not correct. Must be that new truck fogging up his head.
    :eek:

IMG_4491.jpg #ad

IMG_4491.jpg #ad

4. RustyJC

I'd like to appeal. Both Goodyear and Michelin (on their XTA) seem to cycle back and forth every time they run a new batch of tires. I've seen both tires with 120 PSIG and 125 PSIG max cold inflation pressures molded into the sidewall, so I may or may not be incorrect depending on the batch of tires you have. :-laf Here's another one for you - both the Goodyear G114 and Michelin XTA are rated 4805 lbs, but Goodyear calls theirs Load Range H and Michelin calls theirs Load Range J - go figger....

But you are right - that new truck smell definitely is clouding up my brain. LOL.

Rusty

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    RustyJC , May 21, 2016
  5. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Our new 2017 Big Horn came with Sailun 235/85R16 LRG tires. Sailun now also has a 235/80R16 LRG that is a similar diameter to the G614 and other LRE ST235/80R16E tires.

So kudos to Hearthland/Big Horn, as all of their trailers come OEM now with the Sailun LRG tires, 7K axles, correct track and equa flex.

The replacement Cardinal we considered came with GY Marathon's and would have to been replaced right away.

SNOKING

SnoKing , May 21, 2016
  6. JR

I know there is much distaste on here for ST tires (and mostly rightfully so), and it appears as though they are finally realizing some of their shortfalls. Many manufacturers are now offering larger sizes with heavier load and higher speed ratings.*
    What remains to be seen is if the reliability has gotten any better.*

7. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

So the history of ST tires is that they got their inflated weight ratings based on the 65MPH speed restriction! Now through mirrors and magic the speed restriction is going up and the weight rating is not coming down. It is past time that ST tires are tested to the same standards as LT tires and that they follow the long standing industry standards that all other tire types are subjected to. Every LT235/85R16E has the same rating across all manufacturers. A ST235/80R16E can vary in weight rating between manufacturers from 3420 to 3540 and maybe other weights as there is no standard that they comply with.

There is a direct inverse ratio between speed and weight rates that have been around for many years for passenger carrying tires. Only this one tire type is working outside those standards.

Carlisle has been a leader in this speed change to appease it's bass boat customer base! Oh, yeah! They added a Nylon cap to improve the tire. Guess what GY Marathon got the Nylon cap in the late 90's with the Circle S update, and we all know how well they MayPop.

Remember this is a tire type that was designed for local service on utility trailers and has found its way onto our interstates under large tail trailers and driven at high speeds for hours at end.

The internet forums are full of the results of what happens in such use, on horse, boat and RV trailers. Ever seen an U Haul trailer with an off the shelf ST tire, not!

Snoking

SnoKing , May 21, 2016
  8. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

"But you are right - that new truck smell definitely is clouding up my brain. LOL."

Rusty

I am hoping you come out of your fog long enough to post some pics of the new ride on the TDR and RV.net.

That H & J rating is strange.

9. RustyJC

If I can get my photographer to make this a priority, I'll try to get something going.

Rusty

RustyJC , May 21, 2016
  10. NIsaacs

I would guess the small RV's come with 14" or 15" C and D rating. But yes, G rated tires have to be better than an E, however I doubt your wheels are rated for a G tire. My wheels are only rated for 3750 lbs so I went with F/3960 lbs @ 95 psi. I was afraid of the 110 psi of the G tires.

Nick

NIsaacs , May 22, 2016
  11. RustyJC

Nick, it sounds like your wheels were rated to handle the Goodyear G614 RST (3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG) unless you saw something else that limited maximum inflation pressure.

Rusty

RustyJC , May 22, 2016
  12. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

If your wheels are rated to 3750, then they are rated to 110 pounds inflation. That is the tire industry standard pressure for a real tire that carries a 3750 capacity. Forget ST tires, they do not follow any industry standards. ST tire manufacturers use mirrors and magic to derive weight and inflation ratings.

SNOKING

SnoKing , May 22, 2016
  13. JR

Not Nick but going by memory his dump trailer has 6k axles which likely came with E rated tires.*

Sno, your really making me think your some kind of recording stuck on repeat on the other end instead of a human**:-laf

Per your own admission yesterday,*
    "Remember this is a tire type that was designed for local service on utility trailers and has found its way onto our interstates under large tail trailers and driven at high speeds for hours at end."

THIS IS A DUMP TRAILER! Which is what ST tires are designed for according to THE GOSPEL OF SNOKING!*:eek::-laf

14. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

They fail just as well on utility trailers as they do on RV trailers. Replace them every 2 to 3 years if they last that long!!!

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    SnoKing , May 22, 2016
  15. JR

Hey! *We need that smiley button on the new TDR!

This
    Big Smile_zps0bjvnn8y.jpg #ad

is much better than this guy!**:D

Big Smile_zps0bjvnn8y.jpg #ad

16. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

If you had "E" tires and go to "G" there is NO reason to just blindly run 110psi. I had "E" tires on a 32' 5er and tires were at their max capacity, I added GY "G" tires and ran then at 85psi. Per GY Tech support when doing as I did they recommend using the weight inflation chart and add 5psi to what the chart says based on your actual load.

Ran the tires for many thousands of miles with perfect tread wear.

Cummins12V98 , May 22, 2016
  17. NIsaacs

You are probably right because they don't say anything about max psi just the 3750 weight stamp.

Nick

NIsaacs , May 22, 2016
  18. NIsaacs

When it comes to trucking I don't "blindly" do anything:rolleyes:

JR, my dump trailer does have 7k axles, however I wish they had 8k because that's what I haul from time to time:D

Nick

NIsaacs , May 22, 2016
  19. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

Small RV trailers do, indeed come with 14 inch or 15 inch C or D rated wheels and tires. There are some exceptions. My 1996 Play-Mor 2350 Aero travel trailer came with 15 inch 215R/15 B rated GY Marathons. They were the old version, made in the USA. After some tire issues with Greenballs and Carlisles, I settled on Michelin LT215R/15 C rated tires and never had another problem. The only issue is the limited fender well space in that model trailer makes tire choice difficult. But the Michelin truck tires unexpectedly reduced crosswind problems and 18 wheeler bow wave issues. The current set is due for replacement, and Michelin has discontinued them. It looks like Yokohama will be the next set.

My work trailer carries somewhere between $150K and $300K of mounted equipment and supplies. It has a GTW around 10K, with 6K axles and 7K Dexter self-adjusting electric brakes. We don't try to pinch dimes when it comes to tires because we take it into some really nasty places in several states. We've used Michelin XPS rib E rated tires due to their steel sidewall and also our experience factor. They get replaced on a 9 to 10 year rotation, and it's time for the third set now. (It is stored indoors.) By comparison, the support box trailer that travels with it uses the same size tire but is maintained by a different office. They also use the same size E rated truck tires, but usually brands I have never heard of, or Dunlops when someone feels generous. Their experience isn't good.

Matt42 , May 24, 2016
  20. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

You will find that the Bridgestone Duravis R250 is as good as the XPS Rib at a lower cost. I have used both. Snoking

SnoKing , May 24, 2016