Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne M.

Well that changes things quite a bit!

Wayne M. , Jun 29, 2019
  2. Wiredawg

Doesn't necessarily scrub that idea. If the fob messed up training the truck, it doesn't know the difference between you and your wife. Not too many other explanations, but please let us know if you figure out a better one

EDIT: copied from my OEM operators manual:
    - Always remove the key fobs from the vehicle and
    lock all doors when leaving the vehicle unattended.
    • For vehicles equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go —
    Ignition, always remember to place the ignition in
    the OFF position.

Vehicle manufacturers don't always give all or any rational when they provide directions. This could be Safety, Security, and Truck System requirement.

EDIT EDIT: There are 206 appearances of the word FOB in my owners manual. I read so much, I cant remember where i read you should not leave the FOB near (5ft=<?) or in the truck because it scews something with the system. Either in a manual or in a forum.

Cheers, Ron

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Wiredawg , Jun 29, 2019
  3. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Before doing anything else get another FOB programmed to the truck. If it still fails it is one of the antennas or the RFH. I would have to verify on my truck that the RFH can locate the FOB in the vehicle. The system looks for (pings) the fob anytime the door opens, and looks again when the door closes.

sag2 , Jun 30, 2019
    TFucili, Wiredawg and Wayne M. like this.
  4. Wiredawg

SAG,

Thanks for the input... I hate to spread bad info either due to the lack of info and/or bad interpretation of it. Even though I don't have a problem with mine, I see great benefit in understanding how it works and how to address it when it doesn't.

I'll be watching this thread closely and happy to see and learn about the resolution.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Jun 30, 2019
  5. DonFitzwater

Disconnected the batteries for a couple hours, no dice. Once the engine was up to temp (15 minute drive cycle) the key fob not detected message came back when I opened the door. It stayed on for about 35 minutes. I took it to the dealer and they were clueless. During my last visit they said they had to “see the problem in action” to fix it. They saw it and still had no idea.

Sag, now that I have a better understanding of how it operates, maybe I can coach the tech out of his bay and explain what he needs to verify the root cause of the failure. Thanks for jumping in on this one. I will get a second fob tomorrow when the dealer opens.

DonFitzwater , Jun 30, 2019
  6. DonFitzwater

Took truck to dealer with problem happening. They are still clueless. At least now they have a Star case going so maybe they’ll get some much needed help.

DonFitzwater , Jul 1, 2019
    Wayne M. and TFucili like this.
  7. Newsa

My truck wouldn't start. They hooked it up to the computer and discovered that the fob wasn't recognized by the truck. So they told me i would need to buy a new fob. After i agreed to pay for the new fob ($300+ with labor), they couldn' t get the truck to recognize the new fob and had to replace the ecm or pcm (not sure which was replaced). But it might also be the antennae like SAG2 says.

Newsa , Jul 1, 2019
    Wayne M. likes this.
  8. Alan Reagan TDR MEMBER

I believe it was the 3rd gen trucks that had this problem and it was the igniton node. If removing the battery cables doesn't take care of it, the dealer should consider switching out the ignition node. My wife's Jeep had this problem and it turned out that changing the location of her purse (from the left side of her Jeep to the right) solved the problem. She would drive with her purse between her and the door.

Alan Reagan , Jul 2, 2019
    Wayne M. likes this.
  9. Newsa

Fob should be proudly worn on your lanyard or in a tool belt

Newsa , Jul 2, 2019
  10. DonFitzwater

Got a new key fob programmed to the truck yesterday. Time for an experiment.

DonFitzwater , Jul 3, 2019
    PBJ2500CTD, Wayne M. and TFucili like this.
  11. TFucili

We need a popcorn emoji:D

TFucili , Jul 3, 2019
  12. DonFitzwater

Yes, we DO need a popcorn emoji!

So, sent the wife off to work today with the truck and the new key fob. As soon as she got to work and opened the door, bam! "Key fob not detected". So, Chrysler Star line says to program a new key fob. :rolleyes: Clearly the problem is in the truck. We've got the same failure happening with 2 separate key fobs, one new and one a year old with a new battery. Chrysler seems to be squeamish about replacing parts for some reason. :confused:

DonFitzwater , Jul 3, 2019
  13. Wayne M.

I had a Star case open on my RT early on, and I gotta say, I had a phone dialogue open and was on the phone every step of the way. They made the dealer nervous, and made me feel like they were really advocating for me. It all started with a chat session on the Mopar owner connect site.

Wayne M. , Jul 3, 2019
    PBJ2500CTD and TFucili like this.
  14. mfurrh55

Lemon law time?

mfurrh55 , Jul 4, 2019
  15. Wayne M.

Nahhh. It’s probably a good truck otherwise. Just need some common sense at the service counter, and some good tech’s that want to do more than just punch a ticket.

Wayne M. , Jul 4, 2019
    TFucili and CAROLINA CUMMINS like this.
  16. DonFitzwater

No way. Lemon law is for real problems, not minor nuisances.

DonFitzwater , Jul 6, 2019
    Ozymandias likes this.
  17. mfurrh55

Not necessarily, I had to do the lemon law on a 99 2500 back in 99, my problems were a whole slew of nuisances, wasn't just one that happened over and over, it was inj. pump leak, fuel gauge registered wrong, brakes grabbing and throwing you in the other lane, 4 wheel drive vacuum lines coming off .....They built me a new 2001 in Feb. 2000

mfurrh55 , Jul 7, 2019
  18. TFucili

Any updates, Don? Is STAR at least communicating with the dealer?

TFucili , Jul 12, 2019
  19. Bob4x4

Star is a 2 way street,the tech must supply star with good data and follow the test properly.With the latest star system improvements star can see live video/picture the tech sends

Bob4x4 , Jul 12, 2019
    TFucili likes this.
  20. DonFitzwater

No. I finally had to start my own communication with FCA yesterday. My dealer is clueless so hopefully Chrysler can push them in the right direction. For some reason, they have no problem with me throwing money at the truck in an effort to repair it but the dealer and FCA have an allergy to doing it on behalf of the customer........:D

DonFitzwater , Jul 12, 2019
    TFucili and Wayne M. like this.