Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSchang

Here in New York State, the sales tax is around 8% depending on which county you live in. So if you trade your $30,000 truck in on a $60,000 truck, you only pay sales tax on the difference, or $2,400 in sales tax. If you sell your truck to someone instead of trading it in, you then pay the sales tax on the full $60,000 of the new truck, or $4,800 in tax.

SSchang , Nov 25, 2022
  2. lpennock

Same thing in AZ and MO other than the actual sales tax rates are different.

lpennock , Nov 25, 2022
  3. JPM TDR MEMBER

30 verus 80 so the tax difference would be considerable

4. JPM TDR MEMBER

How do mega cab short beds handle pick up campers?

5. lpennock

Based on the Ram 2018 camper guide, the mega is better than the CCSB and not as good as the CCLB. See the weight info I posted earlier in the thread.

lpennock , Nov 26, 2022
    AH64ID likes this.
  6. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I would not have netted more money on my ‘18 by selling it private party.

Between it needing tires and the tax incentive trading the truck in was better, by at least 1K.

AH64ID , Nov 26, 2022
  7. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Reason I said "should".

Cummins12V98 , Nov 27, 2022
  8. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Yep, just depends on the market and the vehicle. If I had still been driving the 05 I wouldn’t have even considered trading it.

With our 6% sales tax a 2017 would be right on the edge of making more money private party.

It’s going to be hard to beat trade-in + tax on a recent model year truck… but for an older truck or states without sales tax private party is still looking good.

AH64ID , Nov 27, 2022
  9. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

I have watched a few of this guys stuff since I'm sitting on that '22 1500, guess I'm going to be long term with that thing better find a spot in the garage for the winter for it.

But I have seen this going on for a while as well first hand. I never fully understood the buying of the used for the inflated values, it was crazy, the selling yep fully get that, but not the buying above MSRP so many years later with lots of miles on them. It was always and still is a bubble that will burst here at some point.

Trade prices are dropping daily, orders are being shelved, I shelved 3 this quarter. Had 4 on order only took 1.

So just make sure you go some where that understands the value of your truck, it really is a sharp truck as you have posted it. That plays a big part at times is a place that can really understand the options and build that you are trading in.

My situation word for word starts at 1:50 of the video.

Timd32 , Nov 27, 2022
    Scotty B and AH64ID like this.
  10. JPM TDR MEMBER

interesting talking head , thanks

11. 06 Dodge

I'm still seeing 5K to 30k added dealer markup on 1500's, they say there is a shortage of these vehicles so it justifies the added markup, I say BS...

06 Dodge , Nov 28, 2022
  12. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I won't consider a new truck til the good ol days of invoice minus incentives.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 29, 2022
    Larry Willard likes this.
  13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I just bought mine for better than that....

It's not uncommon, but AFIK you have to special order one.

AH64ID , Nov 29, 2022
    06 Dodge likes this.
  14. CJ8Rockcrawler TDR MEMBER

Same here. I ordered mine locally. I could have done even better through Mark Dodge, but got close enough that it didn't make sense to fly down and drive back.

CJ8Rockcrawler , Nov 29, 2022
    AH64ID likes this.
  15. JPM TDR MEMBER

How do mega cab short beds handle pick up campers?o_O

16. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

you are lucky to do so from what I have heard. I special ordered my 15 that’s how I would do it again.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 30, 2022