Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowdy Dalton

I agree. Projector headlights are a definite improvement over stock. But, for me, I like the way my Stock 06 headlights look. I'm going to see if the newer LED bulbs can be adjusted enough to work in the factory housings. From what I've read, they can. Plus, I would save a lot on cost if this would work.

Rowdy Dalton , Jan 28, 2023
    Topzide likes this.
  2. petersonj TDR MEMBER

Adjustable LED headlights will work better than non-adjustable LED headlights, but they will not replace the light pattern of an incandescent bulb designed to work with an incandescent bulb reflector. If the light pattern from the LED bulb is not replicated, then the reflector cannot fully do its job.

Hold up the incandescent bulb beside the LED bulb. You will clearly see that the placement of each light emitting diode of the LED bulb cannot perform the same duty as the filament inside the incandescent bulb, therefore the LED bulb cannot maximize the effectiveness of the existing reflectors. Some light will be directed to where it should go; much light will be scattered.

- John

petersonj , Jan 28, 2023
    Michaelsloft and seafish like this.
  3. seafish

^^^
    This is exactly correct ... the reflector style housings on our trucks REQUIRE exact filament placement within the bulb to even begin to function without scattering excess light and possibly blinding oncoming drivers.
    While it may be possible for one of the new style "adjustable" LED bulbs to begin to mimic filament position, I fail to understand how they can really do a proper job of that.

That said, I DO hope that it works well and please DO post back with your results...maybe with pics from the cab of that compare the nighttime lighting of the Phillips bulbs versus the LED bulbs

seafish , Jan 28, 2023
    petersonj likes this.
  4. Rowdy Dalton

When that time comes, I will definitely report back. Hopefully, with good pictures.

Rowdy Dalton , Jan 28, 2023
  5. Mikey-KE7LBB

With all the discussion of headlight voltage, I was curious if anyone is aware that AlfaOBD is capable of setting it anywhere from 12.6V to 13.2V. Of course this only applies to '06 and newer. Also, It will allow you to have fogs with high beams, and enable 'quad headlamps' to have both filaments lit while on high beam.

Mikey-KE7LBB , Jan 28, 2023
    Rowdy Dalton likes this.
  6. Rowdy Dalton

I didn't know that, thanks.

Rowdy Dalton , Jan 29, 2023
  7. petersonj TDR MEMBER

Interesting. Is the voltage adjustment just to the headlights, or all exterior lights? My neighbor has a 2011 truck - would this work on his truck?

- John

petersonj , Jan 29, 2023
  8. Mikey-KE7LBB

The setting is for each headlight individually. As for your neighbor's 2011, the procedure will be the same. I actually performed this adjustment on my '09 to see if it did anything. I made the change on just one headlight to compare, and I noticed a difference, both in intensity and color. This was a couple years ago and unfortunately, I didn't take any pics. Screenshot_20230129_160922_AlfaOBD.jpg #ad
    Screenshot_20230129_160943_AlfaOBD.jpg #ad

Mikey-KE7LBB , Jan 29, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  9. petersonj TDR MEMBER

@Mikey-KE7LBB , thank you! That is some really good information. Just out of curiosity, what was the default setting on your truck?

- John

petersonj , Jan 29, 2023
  10. Mikey-KE7LBB

Factory setting was 13V. I know that 0.2V doesn't seem like a big difference, but it was noticeable. Too bad it won't allow you to set it closer to 14V, but I'm guessing it has to do with bulb longevity.

Mikey-KE7LBB , Jan 30, 2023
  11. petersonj TDR MEMBER

Voltage drop and corresponding light output loss are not linear. In your case (if I have done the math correctly) .2 volt loss is about 1.5% which means light output loss is about 5%. That is why you noticed the difference.

It would be interesting to see the voltage drop at the bulb when illuminated. I would guess that it would be at least .5 volts lower.

I appreciate you sharing your information.

- John

petersonj , Jan 30, 2023
    Michaelsloft and Ozymandias like this.
  12. Rowdy Dalton

I ordered the Beamtech H13 S1 LED's. No fan. But, reading many posts, the 06 Dodge trucks can be picky, and flicker. A resistor should take care of that. Hopefully. The LED'S are coming in today, and I should have one installed today, or tomorrow, to compare the difference. Also, if it starts acting up, I won't have to redo both sides.

Rowdy Dalton , Jan 30, 2023
  13. MBuechle

Fixed mine.
    IMG_3986.JPG #ad

Low

IMG_3987.JPG #ad

High

IMG_3988.JPG #ad

MBuechle , Feb 2, 2023
    Rowdy Dalton likes this.
  14. Rowdy Dalton

Rowdy Dalton , Feb 2, 2023
  15. MBuechle

MBuechle , Feb 3, 2023
    Rowdy Dalton likes this.
  16. Rowdy Dalton

Those are some nice bright lights. Expensive, but nice. If I were doing a lot of night driving, one of those two might be my choice. but, the extent of my night driving is a two minute drive, to get to my job, in the morning.

Rowdy Dalton , Feb 6, 2023
  17. MBuechle

Understood. I drive :30 each way, always dark during winter. All secondary roads are deer infested. Need to replace bumper due to that. I went HID because I was already invested in ballasts but that M-LED looks compelling! Saw your other thread, glad your solution is working for you. I remember back to sealed beams when Halogen retrofits were the hot ticket!

MBuechle , Feb 7, 2023
  18. muchsnow TDR MEMBER

FYI,...LED bulbs in any housing intended for H bulbs is still illegal (cept for fog lights). Sorry, but I work nights and I've been blinded by many a Dodge truck running illegal lighting. Shame on ya... How many accidents are being caused by this in America?

muchsnow , Apr 11, 2023
  19. Rowdy Dalton

Properly adjusted, and they shouldn't blind oncoming traffic. even factory LED lights will blind oncoming traffic, if the truck is raised without the lights being adjusted, or if the truck is carrying a load in the back.
    Sorry you are blinded. Me, I just look away from the light when they are too bright, and hit my high beams.

Rowdy Dalton , Apr 12, 2023
    06 Dodge likes this.
  20. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

OR, if you’re:
    • cresting a hill or not on a PERFECTLY flat road
    • “off axis” or not meeting them straight on, meeting in a curve, etc
    I have more of a problem when they’re behind me. When you meet head-on, it’s just a few seconds. When they’re behind you, it can be for a LONG time.

@muchsnow is just like me, 60 years old. I was told two months ago I have cataracts. That explained a lot to me.

Anyway, he’s probably gone again for a couple years……:rolleyes:

BigPapa , Apr 12, 2023
    Rowdy Dalton likes this.