1. GAmes TDR MEMBER

So did you remove and discard the fuel heater while you were in there?

That is ample evidence to me that you do have an algae problem and need to drop the tank.

GAmes , Jul 21, 2023
    BigPapa likes this.
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I see lots of rusty flakes too, so water is also present in the fuel.

Ozymandias , Jul 21, 2023
  3. Dylan Thomas

After replacing the pre-filter strainer, I road-tested the truck and the results are good. The engine motored up some long, uphill grades at nearly full power and it didn't hiccup, shudder or stutter. I also cleaned the old fuel strainer for re-use perhaps at some future date.

The fuel heater assembly remains intact. I think its function is to heat the fuel so that it passes through the pleated paper filter. Maybe it doesn't heat it enough because one time I was caught with Summer fuel in the engine on a particularly cold December morning. The engine stalled out during a long, downhill descent because parrafin accumulated in the pleated paper filter. I had to hand-operate the transfer pump to force fuel through the filter in order to get the engine re-started.

My pre-filter strainer has not been touched for 24 years and 66,000 miles because I didn't know it even existed on the engine! I have a Cummins service manual but it doesn't mention any pre-filter strainer maintenance. Maybe it's only applicable to Dodge Ram.

Dylan Thomas , Jul 21, 2023
    Michaelsloft likes this.
  4. GAmes TDR MEMBER

The fuel heater is a worthless appliance that is the cause of many air in the fuel non-starting issues. You've been warned.

GAmes , Jul 21, 2023
    gcorron and BigPapa like this.
  5. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

^^^ What he said.

BigPapa , Jul 21, 2023
  6. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

YEP get rid of the heater as they typically go bad anyway. Did you run some old 2 cycle oil?

Cummins12V98 , Jul 21, 2023
  7. Dylan Thomas

I'm not sure what 2-stroke engine oil has anything to do with a Cummins turbodiesel engine...

Dylan Thomas , Jul 22, 2023
  8. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

You would wonder how many oldtimer "recycle" their used engine oil in the fuel tank of a Diesel engine...

2 cycle - first lube oil, then fuel oil.

Ozymandias , Jul 22, 2023
  9. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

And no, you shouldn't do that on a modern engine.:D

10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I ran some 2 cycle oil that was on the Farm. Turned out it had gotten old and every 3k or so my fuel filter started clogging on another 12V I owned.

Cummins12V98 , Jul 22, 2023
  11. Dylan Thomas

This can't be a good idea.

12. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@Dylan Thomas, Another thing to put on the maintenance list for sure! Sounds like you need to get the fuel heater plug and delete that from your truck. Also need to get some PS anti gel to put in when winter rolls around to avoid the "gelling" issue. I have a 100 gal transfer tank on my truck and treat the fuel at the end of season due to fuel change over. So far so good on that program. When you park your truck for an extended time, try to keep tank full to avoid condensation. Glad you got to source of the problem! Keep that ruck running!

Topzide , Jul 22, 2023
  13. GAmes TDR MEMBER

There isn't a "fuel heater plug". You simply remove the heater and screw the filter bowl into the hole that is left behind. There is a short wire harness to delete as well to clean up the job.

GAmes , Jul 22, 2023
  14. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Topzide , Jul 22, 2023
  15. GAmes TDR MEMBER

GAmes , Jul 22, 2023
    BigPapa likes this.
  16. Dylan Thomas

Thanks. I added a couple ounces of Biocide to the fuel tank and topped up its fuel level. Not sure what PS is but I'm interested in some kind of fuel additive which would eliminate any water in the fuel. I wouldn't add any additive.

17. NIsaacs

NIsaacs , Jul 22, 2023
  18. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

If you don’t drop the tank and clean it out, this will happen again.

BigPapa , Jul 22, 2023
    GAmes and Ozymandias like this.
  19. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

That's for sure, if it is so bad that it plugs the filters and strainer the fuel needs to be discarded. The tank flushed with a biozide and refilled with clean new diesel and a massive amount of biozide again to kill all the germs inside the lines, filter assembly pump.
    There is no shortcut here, it needs to be done following the rules.

BigPapa likes this.
  20. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Best carry a spare filter!!!

Cummins12V98 , Jul 23, 2023
    Skydiver likes this.