Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RWood

I was wondering if you are concerned about too much flow?
    Thanks

RWood , Jun 28, 2010
  2. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Not at all, the filter is a bypass style element with a restricted orifice in it, the hole looks to be about 1/8" in size.

AH64ID , Jun 28, 2010
  3. Wayne M.

What coolant are you guys using? I read one mention about HOAT not being compatible with filter systems. Getting ready to do a first flush, and considering a setup like this. All 5. 9's and 6. 7's on the job have coolant filters.
    When I get back to work, maaybe i'll look and see how it's plumbed on the sweeper.

Wayne M. , Jun 30, 2010
  4. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

HOAT isn't compatible with additive filters. WIth non-additive filters its fine. I use Zerex G05 HOAT coolant.

AH64ID , Jun 30, 2010
  5. Wayne M.

I thought all filters were had additives. In that filter, what is treated? is it just rust and such? That Zerex G05 is the direct replacement for the factory fill, right? I look around at wallymart and chain stores, I don't think I've seen it. Is it available in pre mix?

Wayne M. , Jun 30, 2010
  6. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
    AH64ID , Jun 30, 2010
  7. WoodChuck

Grainger has the coolant in premix.

WoodChuck , Jul 1, 2010
  8. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Pre-mix shouldn't be used in our engines. . If you do use a pre-mix you will end up with a diluted solution based on the volume that stays in the motor... Reference the thread I linked 2 posts above.

AH64ID , Jul 1, 2010
  9. NavyDood

Got mine installed yesterday.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

NavyDood , Aug 2, 2010
  10. MMeier

So, what type of coolant is everyone running ? I see no good in that orange/pink stuff and just use tried and true Prestone... the ol' green stuff.

MMeier , Oct 5, 2010
  11. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

AH64ID , Oct 5, 2010
  12. Wayne M.

I had a hard time finding GO5 coolant, and almost broke down and used the Prestone all makes, all color coolant. I didn't for the same reason I wont use amzoil in my NV5600. I couldn't see a HOAT, GO5 or other Chrysler approval on the Prestone bottle.

I went out of my way to the NAPA, and they were able to get it. I got a case (6) of the pre mix, and a gallon of straight. I will do the final fill with the straight to get a good protection level. I am gonna do it real soon. I paid almost $71 for the 7 gallons.

Wayne M. , Oct 6, 2010
  13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

The pre-mix is a bad idea on our motors, they hold too much leftover to get a good ratio. There is 2-3 gallons in the block that won't drain. Take a look at the link I posted in #31.

Also, whats your deal with Amsoil on the NV5600? This page lists both NV-5600 and the compatibility for Chrysler 4874464 (number out of my owners manual). AMSOIL - Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    AH64ID , Oct 7, 2010
  14. Wayne M.

I don't have any deal with anybody. I just recall over the years people switching back to the OE lube after suspecting problems with synthetic lubes, especially Redline. I take back what I said about Amzoil as I don't remember that lube having the Mopar spec when I decided on a fill for my 5600 back in 2004. I have been using Syncromesh ever since.

I assume the Pennzoil is the OE supplier, and I am very happy so far @ the 90K miles that I have solely accumulated on the unit in heavy shifting NYC driving. I also have the Fuller filter kit from Geno's and see very little wear on each fluid change. The Synchromesh oil is available at about 3 stores in a 10 mile radius of my house, and it's very affordable.

I thought your coolant article was good, but I won't be going through that. I feel that a drain and refill, done more frequently will be more than adequate. If I had a contamination problem, like a cooler failure, then a thorough flushing with a cleaning agent such as Fleetguard Restore is neccessary.

Wayne M. , Oct 7, 2010
  15. BKneeland TDR MEMBER

I am aware that on all the over-the-road semi trucks and earth moving equipment they all have coolant filters. I have been told those diesel engines are all wet sleeved (as opposed to dry sleeved). It was explained to me that the pistons that are wet sleeved have a coolant port which circulates coolant behind the sleeve.

My question is my 2004. 5 5. 9 Cummins wet or dry sleeved?

BKneeland , Dec 20, 2011
  16. Wayne M.

Definetly the majority of Diesel powered equipment, on AND off road have coolant filters treating their cooling systems, but a few don't. Some engines are air cooled and obviously wouldn't need filters, and some engines just don't need it, like our Cummins B's. I have B's in our fleet from the earliest 12 valves to a 2010 QSB, and none have treatment on them. This is primarily because these engines don't have sleeves. They have their cylinders bored right into the block just like a passenger car engine, therefore cavitation erosion is not a problem and the chemistry in the coolant can be maintained and monitored within drain intervals.

Here is a link to the manufacturer who supplies our filters and test strips. It's a great resource. The test strips won't work with the HOAT factory fill coolant in the newer rams.

Penray - Power Fleet

Wayne M. , Dec 20, 2011
  17. BKneeland TDR MEMBER

Thanks for the info. I am currently using Xerox G5 antifreeze. What should the pH be for monitoring ones antifreeze condition.

BKneeland , Dec 27, 2011
  18. Wayne M.

You meant Zerex GO5 coolant? I don't know the pH but I suspect it to be base or alightly Alkaline. All I do know is that the OE stuff is good.

Wayne M. , Dec 27, 2011
  19. seafish

Bring this back to the top as I am planning on doing this mod to my truck very soon.

My question is-- while I will be using the exact same Fleetguard 3/8" inlet/outlet filter head as the OP, I would like to use 5/8" hose to run to and from the filter-- is there a problem with this in terms of allowing to much coolant flow to the filter, or will the fact that there is a restrictive orfice in the filter head ensure that there will NOT be excessive flow from the engine despite using a larger diameter hose??

TIA

seafish , Oct 7, 2016