Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archive

David, before you drill the top of your bumper for backup lights make sure you have adequate tailgate clearance. [​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad

Doh!

Archive , Jan 18, 2001
  2. Archive

CRUNCH!!!

Archive , Jan 18, 2001
  3. Archive

There is room on the older bumpers for the lights you describe. Just enough space under the taillights?&src=tdr">tail lights too, came in handy last night!!! [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

------------------
    Jason Hoffman
    Lil' Mack - 89 D250LE 5 Spd 3. 54 Reg Cab. K&N,"tweaked pump", BD Injectors, Banks Pyro/Boost, 3. 5" Exst tail section straight. E&M Custom seats. Bosch H4, PIAA 80W/80W HdLites. 100W Drv,55W Fogs. 237,500 miles (380,000 Kms) 7850 Hrs.
    Cummins Power Booster member.
    The Original Turbo Diesel

Lil' Mack Pics

Archive , Jan 18, 2001
  4. Archive

What's a fuse needed for? LOL.

Archive , Jan 18, 2001
  5. Archive

Do our trucks have backup lights??

Archive , Jan 18, 2001
  6. Archive

I have the tractor lights as well. They are a 35W fog lamp. There is also a 65w available. Im not sure if this is a fog or spot lamp. The 100W is defintely a spot lamp. I have mine wired to separate swithc. This is so that I can use them for backing ,when hooking up to the TT or when I just need to see whats back of the truck. Dont need to have the truck key on as well.

------------------
    2001 HO 6spd,Quad cab,LWB,4x4,Flame Red,all options except for leather,Westin Brushguard/Push bar,Painless wiring,Radio Shack CB,my own design CB mount,Smittybuilt nerf bars,NW Custom rocker covers,Custom built stainless rocker light bars,DeeZee bedrails,Isspro pyro and boost gauges(more to come)

Archive , Jan 18, 2001
  7. Archive

Papa Joe,our trucks have stock backup lights,but I think the brake lights might be brigher. Most auto parts sell a 55 watt replacement bulb that you can trade for the stock backup bulb. Making the switch to a brighter bulb was enough for me.

------------------
    95' 25004X4,AT,Driftwood,Banks Stinger,Warn fender flairs and running boards(work truck)
    95 3500,5 speed 3:54,BD E-brake,Driftwood,Banks&Psycotty,34,000 GCVW apple and tractor hauler(works harder truck)

Archive , Jan 18, 2001
  8. Archive

I cut holes in my bumper and inserted 55w Hella fog lamps. LOTS of light for backing up !!! I don't know how to place photos on the site but if someone wants to help I will make photos available. Bob

------------------
    2001 QC4x4 eth dee slt+ 3. 54 blk agate leather Warn transformer mount Hella 4000s, Hella 530 backups, Optima redtops Toro liner, jacobs ebrake, wired front and rear for Warn 9000 winch, backup lights inset into rear bumper,bumper powder coated silver vein, bedliner on 6" of rocker,custom aluminum console with Garmin Colormap GPS and EGT built in,Horton fan,

Archive , Jan 19, 2001
  9. Archive

Heetseeker_1, Steve -
    Don't know if someone has answered you on a relay installation for the back-up add on lights yet or not, but e-mail if you still need some information. It's a piece of cake or a walk in the park depending on your energy level.
    Dave

Archive , Jan 19, 2001
  10. Archive

I put a set of the tractor lights on the sides of my hitch too after I discovered that the factory backup lights were very effective at blinding me when they reflected off the front of the fifth wheel trailer when I was trying to back it up in the dark. I had to remove the factory bulbs and rig up something else.

I like the tractor lights so much that I've put 'em on my motor home, flat bed trailer and, of all things, on my tractor!

I also used two similar housings on the front of my rig for driving lights. They have 100w sealed beams in them and I wired them through a 30 amp relay with fuses from the supply directly to the relay and from the switch supply to the relay. I used a lighted rocker switch in the factory plug where the factory fog light switch would go. I didn't want the driving lights tangled up with my headlights so I ran a whole separate system. I debated tapping into the bright headlight circuit which I have done in the past but decided against it.
    On that occasion they were on a motor home and I ran them through a three-way switch so that I could trigger the relay with the high beam lights or simply with the switch. It worked well but I rarely used the headlight mode.

P. S. We HATED pulling a fifth wheel so we got rid of it after two trips and went back to a motor home but we liked the Dodge pickup so much we kept it. Don't plan on towing it behind the coach though - 7000 lbs is just a bit much.

Archive , Jan 21, 2001
  11. Archive

I have a pair of PIAA fog lights in my rear bumper. I don't remember what the wattage is. They throw out a flat wide pattern, which helps when backing and turning at the same time. Similar to Evan's setup, I have them tied into the factory back up light circuit with a relay, so the factory circuit doesn't carry the extra amperage load. I rigged up a 3-way on-off-on switch. Flip the switch up, and the lights come on, regardless of whether the engine is on or the key is in the ignition (wired battery direct for an "always hot" circuit). Flip the switch down, and the lights will come on automatically when I shift into reverse.
    If I was to do it again, I would have wired them up so that they always automatically come on when I shift into reverse, and just used an on-off switch for "anytime" use. I like being able to turn them on anytime, they've come in handy for setting up or breaking down camp after dark.
    Andy
    [​IMG]#ad

Archive , Jan 21, 2001
  12. Archive

Here's a tip if you're going to add some backup lights: At most auto parts stores (or any RV store), you can find a 25' roll of "trailer light wiring", it's a set of 4 heavy gauge wires. I used a roll of this to wire up my back up lights. It's probably overkill, but to cut down the resistance and spread the amperage load, I used a separate wire for each light. I now have two extra unused wires running from the left battery all the way to the rear bumper, available for some future project(s).
    Andy

Archive , Jan 21, 2001
  13. Archive

Here's my wiring diagram:

[​IMG]#ad

Archive , Jan 23, 2001