Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ltngdrvr

Yeah, wish that guy was down here near me, be great to have someone who can fix anything on these trucks and do it right first time, every time.

Ltngdrvr , Jan 31, 2021
  2. Minnow101

I can save your son $150+ in diagnostic fee's. The dealer will come back and tell you the turbo is toast. Service centers at dealers are just parts replacers. They make more money on replacing the entire turbo then figuring out if the actuator is bad or not.

Minnow101 , Jan 31, 2021
    BillBaker and Wiredawg like this.
  3. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

True story!

Cummins12V98 , Jan 31, 2021
    Wiredawg likes this.
  4. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Looks like my Actuator is on the way out with just under 83,000 miles. Start truck and all is good, hit TH and EB as usual. Drive a few miles and let off and almost stop and the check engine light came on then parked truck. This happened a couple times. Today same thing but i kept driving and noticed the EB was not coming on and my boost at full throttle was mid way on the gauge.

Stoped by the Dealer in Cathedral City, CA and they said it will be two weeks for a rental car to be available. So once it's in they will schedule me in. They have a GREAT Mechanic that does every bit of work on any Diesel that comes in.

So I hope i can get by for a couple weeks. Happy this is happening while under warranty!!!

Cummins12V98 , Feb 26, 2021
  5. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Exactly the reason I have the Maxcare.

bcbender , Feb 26, 2021
    Wiredawg, Cummins12V98 and Rob S like this.
  6. Ltngdrvr

You're waiting two weeks just for a rental car???
    Why???
    Heck, it only takes a few hours to swap the turbo or actuator out, crazy to wait for a rental car.
    Heck, were it me I would take the truck to them and wait while they fixed it, or get a ride home.

Ltngdrvr , Feb 26, 2021
  7. Ltngdrvr

Check your maxcare coverage definitions, might not cover the actuator.

Ltngdrvr , Feb 26, 2021
    Wiredawg and Larry Willard like this.
  8. endoscott

I got mine replaced recently under Maxcare. The only holdup was they had to have some "inspector" sign off on it before dealer could do the work. That's a RAM dealer in Cathedral City? We stay down in the desert for a few weeks at a time, and it's great to know there is a place to go for service.

endoscott , Feb 26, 2021
  9. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I have several items I have been saving up to have done.

First thing they have to do is diagnose it and THEN they will bring in the part/parts needed. I asked if they stocked the actuator and they said NO.

I have no problem waiting, I did the same back when they replaced my front crank seal and transfer case seal. They gave me a nice car to drive. I am not scheduled to tow my 5er for a month or so.

Different strokes.

10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

The Mechanics name is Mike and really knows his CHITZ. Yes it's a RAM Dealer.

11. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

It covers everything the standard warranty does as far as I know. I have heard others say theirs was covered by MAX.

12. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

YEP, mine should time out just right. I am covered til 2/22 or so at 100k.

13. Larry Willard TDR MEMBER

Max Care covered me 2 years ago. It took 2 weeks to get it done, I dropped it off and was a couple days before they got it in to diagnose and then over a week before an inspector showed up to approve repair, then it was finished the day they got approval. The part was already in stock.

Larry Willard , Feb 26, 2021
    Wiredawg likes this.
  14. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I am betting the wait for approval now won’t be needed as so many have failed.

Don’t care if it takes a few days as it’s fun to drive something else.

Cummins12V98 , Feb 27, 2021
    Wiredawg and bcbender like this.
  15. bcbender TDR MEMBER

upload_2021-2-27_15-25-22.png #ad

bcbender , Feb 27, 2021
  16. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Thanks for that, did a screen shot just incase!

Cummins12V98 , Feb 27, 2021
    Wiredawg and bcbender like this.
  17. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Any thoughts on EB usage and actuator failure?

My truck has 83k and I have used my EB at every start. My Sons truck failed at around 130k and he only used his while towing his dump trailer.

Injuring minds......

Cummins12V98 , Mar 2, 2021
  18. Ltngdrvr

It would depend on whether the failure is due to the VGT collar sticking due to carbon buildup or if the actuator failed due to an electronic issue.
    Using the EB frequently helps to keep the carbon buildup down, but does nothing to help if there is an inherent electronic issue in the actuator module.

Ltngdrvr , Mar 3, 2021
  19. Minnow101

Seems a common failure of the actuator is the seal lets loose and the resultant antifreeze leak destroys the actuators electronic board.

Minnow101 , Mar 3, 2021
  20. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

In the mean time you have a two wheel dinghy to get around on!

SnoKing , Mar 3, 2021