Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAROLINA CUMMINS

Maybe @BigPapa or @mwilson could update us on the current price of the Cummins Reman units? Last I heard the newest revision was quite a bit higher - closer to $1,000.

CAROLINA CUMMINS , Jan 29, 2021
  2. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

I did the same thing. I called them, got on that list and received the actuator sooner than expected.

TRAMPLINEMAN , Jan 29, 2021
    TimothyLong likes this.
  3. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

City Diesel has gone above and beyond in my book. Their product works awesome and their customer support is first rate.

EDankievitch , Jan 29, 2021
  4. JR

I looked on M&D distributors website for a friend about A month ago and they weren't even listing remans. They did have new units listed for $1100 after core return.

CAROLINA CUMMINS likes this.
  5. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

So would it be worth his time to pay the Dealer to diagnose it as the actuator or the other three possibilities?

Or is it a given it's on the way out?

Cummins12V98 , Jan 30, 2021
  6. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Would plugging it in at the dealer tell if the ring is sticking?

Thanks for the used actuator link.

7. JR

Sag2 would be the one to ask that question Ron. The cheapest bet is to yank the actuator and sweep the arm stop to stop.

8. Ltngdrvr

Plugging what in???
    And, both links I posted were for NEW actuators.

Ltngdrvr , Jan 30, 2021
  9. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Plug into their diagnostic system.

OK, not used but resale on ebay. I assume it would not have a warranty.

R.Taylor likes this.
  10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Sag2 do you have knowledge if the dealer can pinpoint exactly what is wrong?

11. Ltngdrvr

Part of the diagnostic procedure is to remove the actuator and test the free movement of the VGT collar, they can't tell anything for sure just by connecting the diagnostic scanner.

Ltngdrvr , Jan 30, 2021
    TimothyLong likes this.
  12. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Thanks I will let him know!!!

Is there a video showing the free movement test?

So if the collar does not slide freely is the turbo shot or???

13. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

There’s two lines engraved at full swing in each direction. If the arm reaches full swing each way, the turbo is still good. If not, new turbo time.

TRAMPLINEMAN , Jan 30, 2021
    Cummins12V98 likes this.
  14. RammerJam

Okay.....??

RammerJam , Jan 31, 2021
  15. Ltngdrvr

You're not checking the movement of the actuator, you're checking the movement of the VGT collar inside the turbo.
    What often happens is the VGT collar gets hard to move because of carbon buildup, the actuator keeps trying to move it which can cause it to fail, so then you would replace both, or get your turbo rebuilt and replace the actuator at the same time.
    But, many times the VGT collar still moves freely, and it is just the actuator that fails.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Ltngdrvr , Jan 31, 2021
    TimothyLong, Rob S and RammerJam like this.
  16. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

He bought it with near 100k and now has around 130k. He always runs the EB but who knows what the previous owner did.

Cummins12V98 , Jan 31, 2021
  17. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

So basically a wast of time and $ to take it to the dealer.

Remove actuator, check for free movement on the VGT collar. If it slides freely then actuator is the culprit. Sound about right?

Could the electrical connections need to be cleaned ?

18. Ltngdrvr

Ltngdrvr , Jan 31, 2021
    rrnut-2, nukegm and RammerJam like this.
  19. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

VERY informative video!!! Thanks

20. JR

If you or your friend goes after it soak the 4 actuator bolts as soon as possible with some good penetrating oil. Particularly the lower left, there is an open window in the actuator housing which allows that bolt to corrode like you wouldnt believe. And to top it off there isnt a lot of room to get in there with a good bite. They are metric allen heads.

TimothyLong likes this.