Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

AEdelheit , May 15, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Both my trucks listed were Highway "Commuter Queens" that is why things lasted so long.

Cummins12V98 , May 15, 2023
  3. JosephKing

JosephKing , May 15, 2023
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Whats the reason to spend so much money except once want to win Baja 1000?

The factory 08 upgrade works great for 100k and I use my truck quite rough.
    Tierod I replaced with said unit at 50k and since then it's good.

Trackbar is still OEM unit at 250k!!

Not everything from the factory is just crap and needs replacement with super duper upgraded parts.

Ozymandias , May 15, 2023
  5. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

The 08.5+ OEM steering is very hit and miss, seen some go 100k and others go at 10k. On mine I drilled the top cap for the Tie rod ends and installed grease fittings, really helps them last longer.

AEdelheit , May 15, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  6. Jim W TDR MEMBER

Really, I have 8 years and another 64K, miles on my Moog ball joints. This was done at 81K when the front end was rebuilt in 2015. They are greased every 5K miles when tires are rotated or changed out to summer tires and rims. The truck isn't driven has much now about 8K a year since I am retired and not towing our 5er anymore.

But maybe I don't know what junk ball joints are.

I have been driving 4X4 straight axle rigs since 1973 and have used Moog front end parts in all of my rigs when the factory ball joints went bad.

Jim W , May 16, 2023
    06 Dodge and BigPapa like this.
  7. petersonj TDR MEMBER

I have heard the same news about poor quality with Moog steering and suspension parts. However, at 215,000 miles (in 2015), I replaced the original upper and lower ball joints with Moog Problem Solver ball joints. I currently have 374,000 miles on the truck (159,000 miles on the Moog ball joints) and I have had no issues with the Moog ball joints.

- John

petersonj , May 18, 2023
    Cummins12V98 likes this.
  8. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

My moog ball joints in 2014 had a bad binding. I wasn't able to drive straight down a road so bad it was. Put the Carlis in, problems were gone.

Ozymandias , May 18, 2023
  9. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Just throwing my .02 in about Moog as a brand.

I don't care for their quality control, I stopped using them a while ago with mobile mechanic work. Often times you would get two of the same product (Sway links for example) part number matches on both boxes but the products differ in design, or don't fit for the application even though the part number is correct.

Of the brands I would use if I didn't already have a Synergy T link for factory tie rod end replacement on RA It'd be between :SKP, Mevotech, Delphi, and maybe Dorman just out of spite of Moog.

It'd be a beautiful thing in Sankei 555 made steering/suspension components for these trucks.

Darkbloodmon , May 18, 2023
  10. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

You do realize Mevotech is Moog’s value line?

BigPapa , May 18, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  11. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Didn't know that.... thanks

Ozymandias , May 18, 2023
  12. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

After some research, I think I'm wrong on the Mevotech/Moog thing. That’s what I was told years ago by a friend who owned an auto parts store.

Sorry…..:oops:

BigPapa , May 18, 2023
    Darkbloodmon and AH64ID like this.
  13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Correct, two different companies.

AH64ID , May 18, 2023
    BigPapa likes this.
  14. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Dang Parts guys....:rolleyes:

BigPapa , May 19, 2023
    Topzide likes this.
  15. Regcabguy

The shop I used before they closed had Moog trackbars that didn't line up. Customers would come in insisting on Moog parts. They'd advise the to go OEM if they wanted to go cheap. These guys had oversize tires and would use their trucks off highway quite a bit too.

Regcabguy , May 21, 2023
  16. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

I have seen multiple Moog track bars literally break in half with relatively low miles, Moog might still be fine for Jeeps and lightweight vehicles but would never put one of their parts on my truck.

AEdelheit , May 22, 2023
    Matt42, Ozymandias and AH64ID like this.
  17. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

The last OEM style track bar I used on my 1996 was probably a Moog. I bought it for $5 at a store that sold closeout paint by the truckload, and out-of-box auto parts that had lost their parts tags. I checked out the track bar they had with a tape measure and caliper, and it was a good fit. It lasted 20K miles. Then I changed over to the Gen 3 retrofit.

Matt42 , May 23, 2023