Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidC

Here is the diagram of the rear sensor, the ABS module is in the middle of the sensor and PCM.

01 speed sensor.jpg #ad

01 speed sensor 1.jpg #ad

DavidC , Dec 15, 2020
  2. rootmanslim

He's not very communicative.

rootmanslim , Dec 15, 2020
  3. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

Well I feel your pain trying to figure out what's wrong thru another party that's charging you for their expertise. As a customer, I will not stand for, nor will I pay for, pissyness. We all get enough of that in life for free and shouldn't be expected to pay for it. As a (former) service industry (healthcare Facilities Management) provider everyone was my customer from my staff, to hospital president, patients and their visitors if they were treated disrespectfully, as were you, they'd find another place or person to replace with one that understood what a customer really is = a person trying to resolve an issue who is "paying my salary". That said, I'd find another shop, they're not the only gig around. Sort of like finding another Doctor, which unfortunately seems to be easier than finding a service minded shop these days.
    Sorry nothing helpful to add on resolving your problem, but another shop might have someone willing to research what's going on and hone in on your issues. Good luck with resolve.

Joe Mc , Dec 15, 2020
    DavidC likes this.
  4. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

When we were having so many electrical issues with my son’s’06 Mustang GT, we initially took it to the Ford dealer a half mile from the house. I’d never heard anything negative about them. The service writer was very friendly and seemed genuinely wanting to help, but the “top tech” was very cocky. You could tell he wanted nothing to do with it. The car had been totaled and I guess their dealer system alerted them to the fact. The tech said we needed to replace the engine harness, the main body harness, and the main rear harness. Then he said none of those are available any more. I asked, what are you saying? Just junk it? He actually said “It was junk when you bought it.” It had been expertly repaired, except for the wiring that was damaged at the ECM. A good friend that does body and frame work checked it out before we bought it and said it was repaired as good or better than he’d have done it.

Anyway, we took it to an auto electric shop in Nashville. They fixed it in a couple days for @ $500. I’d suggest checking out some other shops.

BigPapa , Dec 15, 2020
  5. rootmanslim

Well, here is the end of the story.

A few months after buying the truck, I bought the 19.5" Rixon wheels and Toyo tires.

To correct the spedo, I was sold a gizmo from Geno's that you adjusted to correct the spedo.

Apparently after 18 years it died and was sending garbage down the line.

Once the shop removed it, everything works fine. Shifts as it should and spedo works. Spedo is off about 5 mph @60, but I can live with that.

So $1400 later --------

Thanks again for all the help.

rootmanslim , Dec 17, 2020
  6. Road Dog TDR MEMBER

Glad it's all sorted out. It's still possible that the speed sensor on the transmission is faulty but who knows what the software in the PCM is doing.

On a 2001 the tire size is programmed in the PCM. I think the dealer scan tool uses tire sizes (e.g. 235/85R16) or a custom rotations per mile. Some aftermarket computers (like the Juice edge) have a tire size setting too.

Road Dog , Dec 17, 2020
  7. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

AUTOENGINUITY can program it to.

Ozymandias , Dec 17, 2020
  8. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

I believe Road Dog is correct. I'm in same situation as you with speedo off about 5 mph, due to 305/70/16s vs stock (I think) 265 or 285s, forgot what door tire sticker says. I go by tach and/or GPS when on highway, 1900rpm =73 GPS mph. Right in the sweet spot, she loves that "relaxing" rpm.

Joe Mc , Dec 17, 2020