upload_2022-9-11_13-24-11.png #ad

Zoomschwortz , Sep 11, 2022
  2. Zoomschwortz

I was just lucky.

Thank you for your help and information
    Ken

Zoomschwortz , Sep 11, 2022
  3. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@Zoomschwortz, Looks like there was some extra drag on the folding of the mirror. There has to be some sort of place where there would be a gear or pinion to fold that would be replaceable. Do you have any pics of the drive that folds the mirror? I find it hard to believe that it's a totally sealed unit. Has to be put together, so has to come apart. Can you hear gears slipping or binding? Sucks to lose a feature that you've been used to!

Topzide , Sep 11, 2022
  4. Zoomschwortz

I can hear no noise or clunk or sound of slipping it just goes from 90 degrees to about 45 degrees and just stops.

I have no pictures of the inside of the gear box.
    The reason I stopped removing parts is that it appears that at least a portion of the rear cover is attached to the aluminum gear box/arm assembly with what appears to be plastic rods coming from the rear cover, going through holes in the aluminum assembly and then melted and squished flat just like you would see with a rivet.
    Had I found that like on other power folding mirrors, the gear box was a stand alone, standard gear box, I most likely would have continued if Gruvenparts felt that they had an upgraded gear box that would work. As noted a few posts above, Ram Trucks that get an upgraded gear set need to have a plastic cover otherwise the new metal gears will cause a grounding problem. The gear box on this mirror is obviously aluminum and there is no way that the cover could be changed, although, drilling holes in the gearbox larger and then making nylon bushings for the shafts, that may or may not be available, to ride in, might possibly solve the grounding problem.

At this point, if the passenger side ever dies or something like the heated mirrors fail, I believe that I will be able to return them under warranty and who knows, maybe they are working on a better, more dependable folding mirror for 3rd Gen trucks.

Zoomschwortz , Sep 12, 2022
    Topzide likes this.