Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farrier

I have a 1999 ram 2500 and apparently have a wiring issue. The RPM needle will intermintily drop off for a second then come back and check engine light comes on. Also when it is sitting idling it will kind of burp like a tiny rev then check engine light comes on. Occasionally it just wont start. One time all my gauges went off and truck stalled but I was able to restart it. It has thrown the code saying it was a bad wire or my crank position sensor. I have replaced the sensor 3 times and the most recent I got the sensor from Dodge. We are starting with replacing the pigtail to the sensor and examining the wiring from there to the harness. Any ideas would be helpful if anyone has any. Also I had a FASS pump installed several years ago so not sure if any of the wiring from there might be an issue.FASS is working fine so I know its not that. Thanks for any suggestions of experience with this!

farrier , Jun 13, 2022
  2. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Check for corrosion on the cluster board. Loose grounds can cause issue also. Check with anything that has been changed or added to your truck. These type of issues can be a headache to find and fix. Time and patience are a must along with a good wiring diagram. I've got a Haynes manual that covers your truck. Have it for my 1500 gasser. PM me if you need anything from it. Good luck.

Topzide , Jun 13, 2022
  3. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Also clean every ground point under the hood. There are many.

SnoKing , Jun 13, 2022
  4. farrier

I would sure like to have the manual if I can get it

farrier , Jun 13, 2022
  5. BarryG TDR MEMBER

BarryG , Jun 13, 2022
  6. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

Might sound odd but worth a look see...rear diff has a sensor that picks up signal from the tone ring remove and clean it. I had whacky tach and speedo for a bit and after cleaning all was good. Cheap to look at and clean, if it doesn't help then at least that was eliminated as possible problem.

Joe Mc , Jun 30, 2022