Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACoyle

My washer juice was empty. I bought juice st Lowe's i put it in. The temp went to fourteen degrees and stayed there for a week. My washers froze and wouldn't work. It warmed up. They worked. It got cold again they froze. Obviously, the juice doesn't have enough antifreeze in it. My wife is a a soaper and bought cheap vodka for something and decided not to make it (whatever it might have been). She offered it to me to argument the antifreeze in my juice. Any opinions on whether it would hurt anything?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    ACoyle , Jan 20, 2015
  2. Bob V

It still wont taste very good. but after the second glass you wont care

Bob V , Jan 21, 2015
  3. Alan Reagan TDR MEMBER

You can use vodka to lower the freeze point. The problem you might have would be streaking on the windshield. Denatured alcohol would be better. Better yet, a better windshield washer solution.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    Alan Reagan , Jan 21, 2015
  4. DNDracing TDR MEMBER

I used to pour some isopropyl alcohol in my fluid resorviour in the winter. Worked fairly well, but I did get some streaking. I have had really good luck with the Rain X De-Icer fluid.

The main problem was my 2006 Dodge Magnum, had major issues keeping washer fluid from freezing on that car. The alcohol trick didn't work, and I tried a couple other cold weather type fluids. The Rain X stuff has worked the best for me.

http://www.rainx.com/product/windsh...de-icer-windshield-washer-fluid/#.VL_eIy6aupA

DNDracing , Jan 21, 2015
  5. mwilson TDR MEMBER

I second that.......

mwilson , Jan 21, 2015
  6. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Rain-X for me as well, year round in all 5 vehicles in the Wilson fleet of fine equipment.....

Mike.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    mwilson , Jan 21, 2015
  7. Crunch

I would think that adding a little bit of ammonia would help with the streaking, and maybe even lower the freezing temp of the solution. Ammonia used to be the primary refrigerant in industrial air conditioners and commercial freezers.

Crunch , Jan 21, 2015
  8. DavidC

But what is it going to do to the paint. It is a given the wax/sealant will be gone.

Dave

DavidC , Jan 21, 2015
  9. Deleted member 995608

if I sprayed vodka on my windshield, I'd turn into a window licker

Deleted member 995608 , Jan 21, 2015
  10. Mikey-KE7LBB

That's almost as bad as trying to recover spilled beer from the carpet :-laf

Mikey-KE7LBB , Jan 22, 2015
  11. Deleted member 995608

Gimmie a straw and look out!

Deleted member 995608 , Jan 22, 2015
  12. Tuesdak

No, I am not drunk: my truck is.
    My first thought is the wiper blade rubber being affected. Then you get to breathe the fumes as the excess runs down into the cowl where the HVAC fresh cab air intake is.

Alcohol, Ammonia... These are flammable substances. The perfect ignition source is the blower motor cooling system putting the vapors in contact with the sparking motor brushes. So are you willing to bet the difference between rather flammable (normal commercial washer fluid) and extremely flammable home brew Ammonia and/or Alcohol mixes?

Tuesdak , Jan 22, 2015
  13. DonFitzwater

I use -40 Turbo Wash brand stuff. It's great and streak free............I do believe it kills puppies, kittens and rainbows though!

DonFitzwater , Jan 22, 2015
  14. Bob V

Ammons is classified as a non flammable. It will only ignite if confined. Alcohol will burn but it would be so diluted and WAY under the LEL the you would never have a problem. Chances are higher a fart igniting.

Bob V , Jan 22, 2015
  15. Crunch

Any alcohol (other than Everclear) or ammonia you can purchase is going to be a very dilute solution. I think most glass cleaners contain ammonia, but not sure about the actual windshield/wiper solutions. I know the Windex I use to hand clean the windows contains it. I've never noticed any negative impact on the wipers, paint or window seals.

Crunch , Jan 22, 2015
  16. Wayne M.

The job gets windshield washer CONCENTRATE. I think the mix is 3:1 with water. This stuff will ignite on a hot manifold straight up. Perhaps you can find some and add it to what you have. Personally, I love the rain-X orange stuff. Pricey but really works!

ACoyle, your wife makes soap? Does she peddle it in the area? What purpose does a spirit like vodka have to do with soap, other than help YOU make it?

Wayne M. , Jan 22, 2015