Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JStrasser

Does anyone have experience with a higher power electric inverter on an '06 CTD?

We have a truck camper and sometimes we would like to leave the Honda 2000i home. I am thinking of a 750w inverter that we would occasionally hook up directly to one of the truck batteries (only while the engine was running, and keeping the DC wiring as short as possible) to run the small microwave-we do not have A/C in the camper.

I am asking this after reading how electrically sensitive the '06 CTD is.

Thanks,

John

JStrasser , Oct 12, 2006
  2. p-Bar

As you noted these systems are unique, why not add a deep cycle battery in the camper and use the diode unit to charge from the alternator. As you know these inverters are amperage suckers.

p-Bar , Oct 12, 2006
  3. Prairie Dog

I've done the same thing.

You wont have any problems as long as the inverters wiring is large enough. After all, your note really involving any of the trucks more delicate systems by doing this and you have a large alternator to facilitate just his kind of setup.

As a side note, inverters are actually very efficient and draw only slightly more power than the load placed on the inverter itself.

Cheers,

Scotty

Prairie Dog , Oct 13, 2006
  4. JRyan

I have a follow up to John's question. Does anyone see a problem running a small compressor off an inverter? We store our fifth wheel in the rural part of the county w/ no A/C power. Sometimes I need to add air to the RV tires or truck tires before a trip and would rather not have to stop after getting on the road to do this. I have a small compressor (a Husky model-about the smallest pancake compressor I've ever seen that runs on A/C) with a relatively low amp draw that I keep in the RV.

Thanks.

JRyan , Oct 13, 2006
  5. klenger

I could not run my 1HP tankless compressor from a Honda EU2000 generator. Running any 120 vac compressor from an inverter would be a chore.

As to installing the inverter in the truck to power camper should work pretty well and eliminates the problem of voltage losses over the DC lines.

klenger , Oct 13, 2006
  6. lcrawford

I have a 1000 watt inverter in a bed rail tool box on my 04. 5 since it was new and I have run lights and box fans for 3 days with out starting the truck and it started fine. I mostly use to run small power tools for my job drill,jigsaw,drimmel,E. T. C

lcrawford , Oct 13, 2006
  7. the whale dog

I have a 350 under the back seat wired direct got tired of melting lighter plugs, I have a 1500 watt I use to hook up lights and the band for a float run #6 thhn to the battery and have had no problems Hope this Helps Kevin

the whale dog , Oct 13, 2006
  8. ohnoitsyu

I have a 1200 watt version in my '06 mounted underneath the rear seat. I have 2 gauge cables connecting it. It works fine, but I have not tried to run a compressor from it. Right now... or when I get back from Japan... I am working on a setting up controls and outlets in the bed for the inverter.

ohnoitsyu , Oct 14, 2006
  9. JStrasser

Thanks for the input so far. With storage space at a premium in our Northstar, the option of leaving the generator home is attractive.

My thought is to use a 750w unit with short (6' +/-) DC wiring, and stow it under the back seat when not in use. When we need to "plug in", the 110v cord from the camper would be extended out to where the inverter is hooked up near the front of the truck. We would only use it for a few minutes to run a small microwave or any other small 110v appliance we have. Everything else in the camper runs on 12v or propane.

Thanks,

John

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
    JStrasser , Oct 14, 2006
  10. champspa

:D I run a 1200 watt invertor and a 8 amp compressor will work just fine .

champspa , Oct 14, 2006
  11. MCrossley

I have had a 1500 Watt inverter in my 01 most of its life and has never had any issues running just about anything.

As for the 06 if you connect directly to the batteries you will not cause any problems as you are not going through any of the ekectronics systems.

Also as stated earlier you can run a small compressor off of an inverter just fine if the inverter is large enough also a pure sine way is the better choice if you are willing o spend a little extra it is easier on motors and you will not get the hum on sensitive elctronics devices...

I installed my inverter in my 01 under the drivers seat and the 05 has one in the toolbox and is connected to the dual batteries under the toolbox.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
    MCrossley , Oct 14, 2006
  12. BHaden

I have a cheap ($25) 450 watt I got at COSTCO. It will run one of those 2 gal

compressors you can get at PepBoys for about $40 but only if plugged into the dash lighter outlet and the engine is running. It needs the full alternator voltage to get going. If you plug it into one of the back seat ot console outlets, the voltage drop is too much. My compressor only draws something like 1. 8 amps running. If you have a 750 or so it should work one of those fine.

BHaden , Oct 15, 2006