Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammersley

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    hammersley , Dec 28, 2008
  2. BigEasy

I can't see why they wouldn't hold up. I already have a stock locker in the rear, would like to put an ARB up front someday

BigEasy , Dec 28, 2008
  3. steved

The ARB unit will typically hold up well,

Typically the first thing that fails will be the ujoint yoke will stretch and fail or the axleshaft will shatter... and that sometimes breaks the ARB (the whiplash of the strain catastrophically unloading)...

The average person wouldn't even stress one... they do however have an occasional air leak... o-rings.

steved , Dec 28, 2008
  4. hammersley

So would you use an ARB or

The Eaton ELOCKER

ELocker

The ELocker's electromagnetic locking mechanism is the next generation of aftermarket differential technology. Performs as an open differential until you decide that you need more traction. Eaton ELocker is your push button solution to almost any traction problem.

Designed expressly for 4-wheel drive systems to give you the ability to lock or unlock the differentials when necessary. When locked the Eaton ELocker performs as a full locker, capturing 100% of available torque and sending it equally to both ends of the axle.

The ELocker is built with precision-forged gears that are designed to mesh perfectly, providing improved strength and durability over a standard cut gear. Its ease of installation, reliability and push-button activation make ELocker an absolute must for all traction and off-road performance applications.

No Airlines to go bad... ...comments

hammersley , Dec 29, 2008
  5. ed9824v

do they make an ARB for our trucks ED

ed9824v , Dec 29, 2008
  6. brods

Your best bet is to search on those lockers and read the comments on 4x4 forums where their weaknesses should be exposed. Next consider how the lockers strengths and weaknesses will apply to your planned usage. Realize that lockers will affect the way a vehicle handles. With a true locker in the front the truck will resist turning while the front end is locked.

Regardless of which locker you get, anything will break if not used properly. Always keep in mind the stresses being put on your equipment. For example if you go with a selectable full locker in the front, do not turn sharply while the tires are on a high traction surface with the front end locked, even if your not in 4x4, etc. etc.

brods , Dec 29, 2008
  7. steved

Requires the use of non-synthetic gear oil, if that is important to you.

steved , Dec 29, 2008
  8. NNethers

I am an AVID offroader and have a pretty well set up rock crawler (1977 Chevy K5 Blazer on one tons, 40” tires, dual transfer cases, 4340 chromoly front axleshafts with 300M ujoints, powered by a 6. 0L LQ4 out of a 2005 Chevy 2500HD that runs on propane, list of mods goes on and on) and have had first hand experience with the eaton e locker. It's a piece of junk. About 2 ½ years ago I ran one in the Dana 60 in the front of my K5 for less than a year and it broke. Granted I was pushing it pretty hard but it ended up being a design/manufacturing flaw that caused the failure. They were having a lot of problems with their early ones that they built and to the best of my knowledge have not corrected their issues. They at least stood up to the plate and refunded my money but I was still out the labor to install it and remove it. I ended up going with a Detroit locker up front just like in the rear. It's locked 100% of the time but this rig doesn't see any street driving at all so it's no big deal. If you like, I have quite a few pictures of the broken locker and could send them to you.

IMHO if you want a selectable locker go with ARB. They are of superb quality, have a great reputation and stand behind their product. I've seen buddies of mine beat the hell out of their rigs and their ARB's and haven't seen one of them fail. You do have to worry about pinched/broken air lines and occasional compressor failures but those are easily fixed. I'd have no reservations about an ARB holding up in use in a CTD. Be prepared to spend some dough though…. to buy the locker, compressor, air lines and have it installed you're looking at about $1300-$2000.

NNethers , Dec 29, 2008
  9. p-Bar

Spoke to rep at the SEMA show still not out for the AAM 11. 5" they have been promising this for three years now. Guess I'll wait

p-Bar , Dec 30, 2008
  10. hammersley

Thanks everybody - this was helpful... ...

hammersley , Dec 30, 2008
  11. BigRedRam

05 CTD ARB LOCKERS front & back

just had the ARB installed in the front of my 05 CTD. Best locker I have ever used. Turn on and off with the flip of a switch on the dash. Have already installed switch and air line for the rear. Contacted ARB USA regarding avalability of the 11. 5 for the rear end and got the following e-mail reply. NEXT MONTH

We are currently scheduled to go into production in April. However, we have had delays due to rejecting the first batch of castings from our casting supplier. Hopefull the next batch will meet our quality standards and we can go into production.

Jim Jackson

President

ARB-USA

720 SW 34TH STREET

RENTON, WA 98057-4814

Tel: 425-264-1391

Fax: 425-264-1392

Email: [email]JJACKSON@ARBUSA. COM[/email]

ARB 4x4 Accessories

BigRedRam , Mar 7, 2009
  12. p-Bar

This is getting close. Won't hold my breath though

p-Bar , Mar 7, 2009
  13. steved

They've been pushing off the release for one excuse or another for over two years...

steved , Mar 7, 2009
  14. BigRedRam

Its here now andworks great

[​IMG]#ad

STOCK FACTORY LIMITED SLIP

[​IMG]#ad

NEW ARB LOCKER

[​IMG]#ad

NEW ARB FROM THE OTHER SIDE

[​IMG]#ad

DONE

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
    BigRedRam , Oct 4, 2009
  15. p-Bar

doesn't look like the airline is tied off:-laf

p-Bar , Oct 4, 2009
  16. Bob4x4

Awesome... ... ... . I have ARBs in my jeep. Selectable is the way to go. Even in the Jeep it is hard to turn when locked but it will pull you through places you wouldn't want to try walking up

Bob4x4 , Oct 4, 2009
  17. hammersley

How much did it set

You back for the setup?????? I've been quated about $4,000 for front and rear :eek:

hammersley , Oct 5, 2009
  18. BigRedRam

You could probably get both ends done for around $3500 if you don't replace the bearings etc. I had all the bearings, seals, front hubs and u joints done, so it ended up around $5,000. Fortunately I made my last truck payment 2 months ago and now its upgrade time.

BigRedRam , Oct 5, 2009