Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobigusn

I just test drove 2 2004 2500 today. Both were quad cab short boxes. But on was 2wd, the other was 4wd. The 2wd had 100000 miles and the 4wd had 190000. I drove the same route over bumpy roads. The 4wd ride quality was much worst then the 2wd. It was uncomfortable for my back it so stiff. What would cause that or is that the way all 4wd are? How can someone drive that off road or on bad roads? Does tire pressure really make that big a diff? Taking what ever truck I get back to michigan were the road are nothing but potholes. So ride quality is important but so is not getting stuck in the snow. Thoughts on this would be helpful bacause I want to make the right choice the first time. Thank you all for your help so far in this search.

hobigusn , Aug 29, 2010
  2. HHhuntitall TDR MEMBER

Well, and don't overlook the fact that, with 190k on it, there could be any combination of shocks and springs on the 4x4. One of my 2nd gens rides rougher than a cob due to the aftermarket shocks on it by supercoil. The Rancho RS5000's ride pretty rough, too. Many aftermarket shocks are rough as they try to stabilize the truck for off road use. Bilstien are the best, unless you really want to go high dollar and go with some reservoir shocks, such as Kore.

HHhuntitall , Aug 29, 2010
  3. hobigusn

I made sure the 4wd truck was in 2wd and there is an indicator light on the dash board when 4wd is engaged. Any other ideas?

hobigusn , Aug 29, 2010
  4. BarryG TDR MEMBER

I have always felt that to be the case. The 4wd is heavier and more than likely has a different(heavier/stiffer) front spring rate than a 2wd. The trucks may also be setup differently such as 4x4 perhaps has the plow prep package which makes the front springs even stiffer, camper package etc. They also sit a bit higher which shifts the center of gravity a bit as well. And as mentioned earlier differing shocks and almost twice as many miles may play a role too.

BarryG , Aug 29, 2010
  5. MChrist

Aren't the 2WD trucks independent front suspension, vs. 4WD solid axles??? I test drove both types in 2007 model year, and 2WD was WAY smoother than 4WD, due to that model being independent front suspension. I imagine 2004 was the same suspension as 2007.

MChrist , Aug 29, 2010
  6. hobigusn

It does have independent front suspension but i didn't think a 4WD would be that much more rough. I figured 75% of all CTD are 4wd but how can people drive a truck that rough riding.

hobigusn , Aug 29, 2010
  7. MChrist

I'm not informed enough on the spring rates or shock types between 2 and 4 WD, but my truck rides much nicer with bilstein 5100s than stock. Also, Monday morning I'm getting new progressive springs installed on my truck and I'll report back as to my findings. They are from Carli Suspensions, and I'm also installing their adjustable trac bar. If it rides much better, it may be close to the same ride as 2WD.

MChrist , Aug 29, 2010
  8. jakprince

If your going to be using it in michigan i don't think a 2wd is going to do you much good. At least not in the winter.

jakprince , Aug 29, 2010
  9. hobigusn

Post it or PM me please and let me know how that goes. I thought shocks help keep the tires on the ground over bumps but i didnt think they did much for ride harshness over bumps. I thought the biggest facter was springs.

hobigusn , Aug 29, 2010
  10. hobigusn

I would much rather have a 2wd with a ride i can tolerate then a 4wd that hurts when it hits pot holes, and there are alot! I think i would do alright in a 2wd in the snow with some weight in the back and a limited slip diff.

hobigusn , Aug 29, 2010
  11. CUMMINZ

Tires could also be pumped up to max.

CUMMINZ , Aug 29, 2010
  12. hobigusn

It would reallt affect it that much? Whats a good pressure? I know max was 80 PSI.

hobigusn , Aug 29, 2010
  13. jgillott TDR MEMBER

I've found that 60 front 53 rear works great for a decent ride when the truck is empty. Much more than that, the truck rides very harsh.

jgillott , Aug 29, 2010
  14. hobigusn

If the tire pressure really makes that much of a difference maybe the 4wd I test drove was at full pressure. But idk if that was it for sure. I guess if i found another 4wd to test drive i could check the tire pressure. Any other ideas?

hobigusn , Aug 29, 2010
  15. RonD

If you really want to buy that 4x4, why not drive it over to a tire, or suspension shop and have them look it over and drive it, or maybe go drive a few others, there is no shortage of used 4x4 Ram trucks for sale, what your describing could be 100 things, or a combination of any of them, what was it used for ?, how was it cared for ?, any damage history ?, what brand of tires etc ?, I wouldn't buy a 190,000 mile anything without a very good professional opinion.

RonD , Aug 29, 2010
  16. hobigusn

It's not that i want that 4x4, it's idk if i should get a 2wd or 4wd. I'm taking the truck back to Michigan so i would think 4wd but if its so rough to drive with all the pot holes then it doesn't do me any good. I'm going to test drive another 4wd to see if that one is really rough too. Or it may be the tire pressure that made it rough. Ive driven 2wd gassers my entire life and this 4wd diesel is all new to me.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    hobigusn , Aug 29, 2010
  17. WCPoe TDR MEMBER

hobigusn, --------------->

There's no doubt about it the 2WD will ride better on those rough roads in Michigan than the 4WD just because of all the unsprung weight that gets hammered around on those potholes. My friend had a 4X4 that rode nearly as well as my 2WD on smooth pavement but on rough road surfaces the front end jumps around a bit. Just a product of a large amount of mass and some older stock type shocks. The cure like many folks here have found is to ante up and put some big bucks in their suspensions.

That being said, I think you would be foolish to go with a 2WD in Michigan with the amount of snow and ice that falls up there. Here in Atlanta I bought my 2WD knowing full well that I wouldn't use the 4WD much at all. It isn't that much of an issue here. However, the 4WD LOW range would be nice on the boat ramp and backing trailers uphill or into tight areas.

:)

Anyway, I think you would regret it not having the 4X4 up there. Good luck on your quest.

WCPoe , Aug 29, 2010
  18. hobigusn

WCPoe thanks for the input!

hobigusn , Aug 29, 2010
  19. RonD

My 2005 LWD 4x4 all stock rides better than my S500 Mercedes, so it has to be that truck, not all of them are that way.

RonD , Aug 29, 2010
  20. mpaulson

Tires and shocks are the main factors. I run 75 to 80 PSI when I'm hauling the quaddeck with the quads and trailer in tow and when I take the deck off and run empty at those pressures, it is definetly a noticable ride difference than running 60 PSI which is where I put it after camping season is over. The shocks will make a big difference also because when your suspension rebounds from a bump or hole it will allow the truck to launch and exagerate the responce rather than control it. One other thing to look for is if the 4x4 had overload leaf springs and if they were close to the resting points that they ride on when loaded. If they are within 2" while sitting empty, then you are most likely hitting then when you hit a bump and when they hit, it brings the suspension travel to a halt fast, thus a rough ride. I keep my air bags up just enough to make sure that the overload leafs don't come into contact, even when loaded with 8600 lbs on the rear axle.

mpaulson , Aug 29, 2010