Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDahlbeck

Last Saturday a friend and I installed an Espar D5 Hydronic heater in my 2006 Dodge 2500. There have been a couple of very good recaps provided by members who have installed these so I won’t go over the whole thing but I will provide a few comments. During my research I called the folks at Espar three times and based on their knowledge and willingness to answer all my questions I would recommend their product. Orders can’t be placed directly with Espar however, and any purchase of equipment or parts must be made through their dealer network. I called a few dealers listed on their directory and ordered from a dealer here in Pennsylvania based on his helpfulness over the phone. The unit cost $1126 and I got it in about a week. The kit for the dodge is very good and the installation was not difficult. The two of us completed it in 6 hours. There are two sets of instructions that come with the kit. One is non-vehicle specific produced solely by Espar. The other set of instructions is specific to the Dodge and as I understand it Dodge and Espar jointly produced these. The Dodge specific instructions contain no text rather they are all pictograms, which is a format that Dodge apparently uses in their service manuals. And while the drawings walk you though the basic installation they are really not that informative. There is a lot of very good information in the Espar generic instructions that are not in the dodge specific ones (like how to prime the pump for the first time) and I’d recommend reading them thoroughly first. After reading the accounts of a few installations we decided to remove the bed to access the top of the fuel tank rather than drop the tank. We used a forklift but the bed only weighs 323 pounds so there are a lot of ways to do this. Removing the bed was very easy to do and it made tapping into the fuel line a piece of cake. To remove the bed we removed and disconnected the taillights, disconnected the fuel filler neck, disconnected the grounding strap, and removed the 6 bolts that hold the bed on. We put a piece of cardboard between the bed and the cab and another one between the rear of the bed and the bumper to prevent scratching the paint. We lifted it by connecting to the tie downs in the four corners. After installing the heater we were able to run the system and check for leaks while the bed was off. The heater unit fits very nicely in the empty bracket on the inside of the frame but we did have to tap one of the holes on the frame and we also tapped the holes on the bracket that came on the Espar unit. We pulled the electrical wires through the rubber grommet directly above the parking brake. There is a large bundle of wires that runs through there so we were very careful when we poked through the grommet but there was plenty of room for the Espar wires. When we finished the installation we could not get the unit to run and after a call to Espar I learned that the tube that extends down into the fuel tank from the return line does not go all the way to the bottom of the tank. This heater kit gets its fuel from the return side of the fuel system so for the Espar to be able to draw fuel the fuel level in the truck cannot be real low. The best I can tell is that the fuel tank must be more than 1/3 full. The Dodge kit ships with the mini-timer, which works great, but does not show any diagnostic codes. The 7-day timer does show diagnostic codes but does not work on the Dodge. There is a separate code reader that can be purchased for about $250. I’ve been using the system for a few days now and it’s great.

GDahlbeck , Nov 20, 2008
  2. monkeyman

I have one on my 2002 for years, you can buy the whole unit on e-bay for $975. 00 for your year. And the seven day timer is $145. 00. That is the timer I have and its the best one. Tip I should tell you is to run unit in warm weather at least once a week. Also if it shuts down without seven day timer you will never know. I have taken mine apart many times and they know me very well at Espar tech! That is the only thing my wife likes about my truck!
    Rick

monkeyman , Nov 21, 2008
  3. AlaskanCummins

Tooooo funny Monkeyman!!! :-laf:-laf:-laf

That's exactly how my wife feels about my Espar! After I told her how much I (we) paid for it, she was a tad bit peeved. But, when it was -5 a couple of weeks ago and I had it run for 80 minutes warming up the truck, she was very pleased.

I too just think this thing is the cats meow. One of many accessories and probably the best (Kore is awesome too!) so far. I was however dissapointed to find out that the remote only works with the 7-day timer. I haven't looked up the wiring diagram for the timer, but one would think it wouldn't be too hard to make it work with the Dodge kit.

Staying warm this winter! :D:D

Wayne

AlaskanCummins , Nov 21, 2008
  4. GDahlbeck

7-Day timer

I talked to Espar about the 7-day timer and they told me the 7-day did not work with the Dodge. They told me the reps at Dodge said one of the wires used in the 7-day timer's harness could interfere with some other electronics in the vehicle so Espar had to remove this lead from the Dodge kit. Is there something special that needs to be done to wire the 7-day timer? I also ordered a remote control a few days ago. I talked to Chris at Espar and he did not say anything about it only being compatible with the 7-day timer.

GDahlbeck , Nov 21, 2008
  5. AlaskanCummins

If memory serves me right, I was on Espar's web page looking at accessories and read that the remote only works with the 7-day timer. It makes sense to me, because the timer would be the receiver and the remote the transmitter. The cool mini-timer isn't a receiver as far as I know.

So, keep us updated and let us know if the remote you ordered will work with our kits.

Wayne

AlaskanCummins , Nov 21, 2008
  6. gregdoerfler

i have an older kit. it came with the 7 day timer and it has diagnostics on it and never interfered with any electronics?

gregdoerfler , Nov 22, 2008
  7. monkeyman

Saw this old post, I have the wireless remote with my seven day timer. Timer has nothing to do with it. Remote kits comes with transmitter and receiver. You just tap into on source.

However it must turn it on same way timer would so it will turn off normally. hitting button again turns unit off.

Rick

monkeyman , Dec 11, 2008
  8. GDahlbeck

Thanks Monkeyman. I just received the remote kit and it is just as you described.

GDahlbeck , Dec 11, 2008
  9. Kubotaorange76

how much fuel do these use? Where do they exhaust?

Kubotaorange76 , Dec 12, 2008
  10. GDahlbeck

The advertised fuel consumption is . 08-. 16 US Gal/Hr depending upon whether the unit is running in high or low (it does this automatically based on water temp). Based on my actual usage of the unit I'd say fuel consumption is low. There is a small diameter flexible metal exhaust tube that is routed under the truck. The installation instructions caution against having the exhaust terminate where in can enter the cabin. I routed mine from the unit to the outside of the frame (opposite side of the frame from the fuel tank) then toward the back of the truck. It discharges the exhaust just aft of the quad cab back door on the driver side. .

GDahlbeck , Dec 12, 2008