1. rickhans

I posted this another place but am not getting any responses yet. Since this problem is not specific to any particular model, maybe someone here will see it and have an answer. The drivers side front wheel started wobbeling real bad on our '95 1/2T 4wd.

My son called me after breaking down so I have not visually looked at it. After pulling the wheel and hub cover he says the hub moves side to side with the axle end staying in place. It sounds like a wheel bearing gave out. Also, when he rotates the rotor the axle turns with it which I don't think it should when in 2 wd. He was not using 4wd. I had him jack up the passenger side and see what it does. There is no play but the axle also turns with the wheel. 2 questions:

1. Is the locking mechanism in the hub like it is on a Chevy 4wd straight axle? If so the axle should not turn with the hub unlocked. What is happening?

2. To remove the rotor and hub, he said it looks like there is a large nut to remove which is against a washer. I think this was behind the nut that had the cotter pin. This sounds like a chevy hub. If we remove that nut will a bunch of pieces fall out or is it a simple process to remove the insides to get to the bearings? I tried doing on one of my Chevy's once and gave up and have always had a shop do it since then. Most everything else I do myself. Maybe it is not as mysterious as it seems. What is involved on this Dodge?

rickhans , Mar 24, 2002