1. moparguy

Need help, I've taken a job in the oil fields of North Dakota and had a trailer located near my job clost to Keene. The seller couldn't hold it 3 days (I get there Monday 7-11-11) and it sold yesterday.

So I'm in Arkansas needing to buy a 5,000 lb. or so bumper pull that can deal with winter in northwest ND quick, plenty for sale here but they're not really suited to the North County.

Any help is truly appricated.

Gotta be a bumper pull, my Dodge 1500 has the 5'7" bed.

Also, rather than drag it all the way from Arkansas, I'm considering trying to buy something on the way, say Omaha. Any advise here is also welcome.

Sincere Thanks, RR

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
    moparguy , Jul 8, 2011
  2. Newt

You ever look at Arctic Fox? One of the few I'd recommend for your needs. A Nash is a lower priced version of the Fox.

Newt

Newt , Jul 8, 2011
  3. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

With a TT the weight isn't nearly as important as the wind resistance.

I have an 18', 5,500 lb TT that takes more power to pull on flat ground at 65 than a 15K dump trailer does.

My point is when looking at TT's for a 1/2 ton you need to look into the frontal profile of it, or a light 5K lbs could toast a 1/2 drive train.

AH64ID , Jul 8, 2011
  4. HBarlow

The requirement to be livable in winter weather in ND limits your choices severely. Nothing but one of the high priced full time rated fifth wheels can actually provide comfort and even those trailers would require additional electric space heaters and serious cold weather treatment to stop the wind under the trailer and insulate water and sewer lines with heat tapes. You're talking about temps well below zero degrees for long periods of time coupled with strong winds. If you have no experience with travel trailers you might be getting into something you'll regret.

You could buy a large older quality fifth wheel in ND and pay someone to haul it to the site and set it up cheaper than you could buy one at home and haul it to ND.

An Arctic Fox/Nash may be okay, I have no experience with them.

Try craigslist in ND and ND RV dealers.

HBarlow , Jul 8, 2011
  5. BGlidewell

Harvey makes some good points. I think you're headed for trouble with a trailer up there.

BGlidewell , Jul 8, 2011
  6. Road Dog TDR MEMBER

For Winter use you need enclosed heated holding tanks. That generally means a basement. Double pane windows are nice too. Not many trailer makers think about Winter use (and neither do their customers). Bigfoot up in Canada makes Winter ready campers and trailers.

Road Dog , Jul 8, 2011
  7. mrtrombley TDR MEMBER

I've spent many winters in the north in my 5th wheel. It takes a lot of preparation and usually something still goes wrong. The hardest thing is to hook up to water and keep it flowing, once it freezes it could be a long winter before it thaws out. Also, it takes a lot of propane to heat in cold weather. You would have to have a large tank set next to the trailer, it is sometimes very hard to get a local fuel company to set one for an RV and they may require a large deposit.

In cold weather you keep the grey and black water tanks closed (as long as they are enclosed and kept warm from freezing), emptying them when full (or the temp is above freezing). I usually emptied my black tank only once a month as it was a larger one.

If you do try it, you would be better off with a fully enclosed and well insulated basement model 5th wheel. In ND, it would help to enclose the space beneath the RV with insulation. This will keep the cold wind out and allow you to put some kind of heater down there if necessary. Also look for an RV with the water connections inside the basement area rather than on the outside wall.

ND is not a good choice to try to winter in an RV. It's doubtful you would find a place to park an RV in the winter in ND. In short, it might be less costly to rent a reasonable apartment.

mrtrombley , Jul 8, 2011
  8. moparguy

I do agree with all the advise above. Fact is there are no other options, apartments within a hundred miles of the area I'll be in are non existant. Keene is a nearby community.

Many people have been spending the winter the in trailers, wish I could find something else, just not in the cards and that's where the work is.

moparguy , Jul 8, 2011
  9. MelvinPierce

I live in ND, and have a truck hauling crude in NW ND. You CAN use a trailer, but you need to insulate well, enclose the bottom, use plastic on windows, heat tape everywhere. Saw some last year, wondered what their heat bill was!?

Try -20- to -30, with a 40 mph wind at times, and keep a trailer warm?

MP

MelvinPierce , Jul 9, 2011
  10. HBarlow

We understand your situation. It CAN be done but you'll have to have the right trailer, proper preparation, and an RV park that will keep power, water, and sewer services available all winter.

Teton fifthwheels were made for this type of service. Travel Supremes, Alfas, and HitchHikers are also suitable. A couple of other brands will work also. I am not familiar with any of the Canadian brands but as Road Dog suggested, a Big Foot made in Canada is another alternative.

You may be wise to make a scouting trip to ND and talk to guys who are already doing what you plan to do, talk to RV park owners, and local RV dealers. The local used RV market will tend to have some suitable trailers for that climate.

I can promise you this: If you buy a cheap box trailer suitable for weekending in the south you will last about two nights in a ND winter. You will almost freeze to death in a disfunctional box with no water and no sewer connections.

And a 2wd pickup may leave you walking in deep snow.

Winters in ND are a serious threat to life if you are not familiar with conditions and survival methods.

We'll be happy to offer opinions and advice if you ask. Our purpose here is not to rain on your parade but to warn and help you prepare for what you will encounter.

HBarlow , Jul 9, 2011
  11. HBarlow

You might find this website helpful in locating and reading opinions on RV parks.

The reviews are voluntary RVer reviews and the listing provides info on the basic services and period of the year the parks are open.

RV Park Reviews :: Home

HBarlow , Jul 9, 2011
  12. moparguy

Thanks guys. I've changed my plans to include a detour to a dealer in Minnesota with a 2007 Arctic Fox that sounds like it'll suit my needs. On the expectation that I had the trailer situation handled (agreement to buy one already set up) I bought a 2011 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and 4x4. Not sure how happy it'll be as a tow vehicle, but my 1 ton isn't ready to go on a job like this, not enought get ready time. This all developed in the last 5 days.

But,,,things always work out. I likely be back for advise as time passes.

Thanks, RR

moparguy , Jul 9, 2011