Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Augustus

I have to replace my clutch, however I do not the cash in the budget for the Con O from Southbend, anyone have any other suggestions for another clutch that is a little less $? :{

Thanks

Fred

Augustus , May 24, 2005
  2. nps

I've got the centerforce dual friction (13" for the 5600) and I am very happy with it.

I slipped the stock clutch with just an EZ. I can't slip the centerforce clutch while towing a 10K trailer. The pedal force is marginally greater, and it took about 1 week to seat in good (grabby until then).

If I had to do it again, I would use the same disk/pressure plate combo.

Make sure you turn the flywheel and replace the pilot and throwout bearings.

3. Augustus

I found some on the internet, are they available at the auto parts store?

Augustus , May 24, 2005
  4. Cowboy Medic

South Bend has a clutch called the "rally" that is rated for 350hp. I had one in mine till recently and it held my dd3's and comp fine when the truck was empty and I just turned the box off when I towed. It was right around 3 and a half. Might be able to find it a little cheaper or maybe a little more, that was two years ago that I bought mine

Cowboy Medic , May 24, 2005
  5. nps

Don't know. I got my kit on the internet from Jegs.com for under $600 delivered to the door. For another $60 you can get next day delivery.

(On Edit) I see you have a 5 speed. Jegs has 183-DF989984 Centerforce for under $450 delivered. Think this is your kit number - pls check. Does not include the pilot or throwout bearings.

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  6. Supermod56

You could use a LUK Pro-Gold for about $450, most clutch shops will carry them, or Dialaclutch.com has them

Tom

Supermod56 , May 25, 2005
  7. nps

The Centerforce pressure plate is a LUK core with the weights added to the release fingers. Don't know about the clutch disk compositon differences between CF and LUK and how CF sources the disk.

I considered the pro gold, but could not find anywhere where TDR members had experience with it. Also LUK did not state any ratings on the kit.

Centerforce claims 90% over stock holding power for the Dual Friction, which is what I went with. I know the 90% is a weak foundation and don't know how much testing they did, but my experience with it has proven good.

8. Augustus

Great info, thanks for the input!

Augustus , May 25, 2005
  9. willysrule

the LUK Pro-Gold (13") is about $525... the center force is around $600... I can't find anyone that has had any experience with the LUK one, outside of people that stayed stock and never really towed... most that I have talked to with the center force love it... so for the extra $100 or so I'll be getting the center force... . soon... :-laf

willysrule , May 26, 2005
  10. tURBOdIEZEl

check out carolina clutch, i know they always got deals going on there Luk 13" clutches.....

tURBOdIEZEl , May 26, 2005
  11. Texas Diesel

I just did this last weekend.

Remember the saying about the sweetness of low prices being forgotton due to the sting of poor service?

Buy South Bend, they are first class people. You may pay a tiny bit more but when you factor in the amount of labor involed to get to the clutch, it's worth it. This is my second South Bend clutch (different truck), and I am saving my pennies to get one for my wifes 12V.

I have pictures of the replacement if you like.

Last edited: May 27, 2005
    Texas Diesel , May 27, 2005
  12. OPoole

To save your money and time in the long run buy a south bend. A lot of the clutches that i sell are to guys that have a LUK or centerforce. South Bend's service is great good people to work with.

OPoole , May 27, 2005