?

We Consume More Diesel Fuel Than Gas In the USA .

Poll closed Jun 28, 2005.
  1. I THINK YOUR RIGHT

34 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. I THINK YOUR WRONG

20 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. DieselMinded

Got in an argument at work... . A dude said the reason diesel is more than gas is because we dont use as much Diesel ... ... I laughed

And MAde a statement

"Every Day In the US We Consume More Diesel Fuel than We Do GAs"

THink about it all those big rigs running around the clock

School Buses

boats

generators

What normal vehicals that are on the road with diesels

Heavy Equiptment

and more... ...

DM

DieselMinded , Mar 20, 2005
  2. HEMI®Dart

Good question/Tough call

HEMI®Dart , Mar 20, 2005
  3. RustyJC

I believe THIS should answer your question.

Rusty

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2018
    RustyJC , Mar 20, 2005
  4. DieselMinded

according to that Im wrong

:<

DM

I still think diesels used more .

5. RustyJC

Yep, never let the facts stand in the way of a good debate! ;) :D :-laf

Rusty

RustyJC , Mar 20, 2005
  6. DieselMinded

Im Diesel Minded What did you exspect

LOL

DM

IM WINNING THE POLL

I voted for me

if it wasnt for that it would be tied

:>

7. JFinke

Not sure if it's true or not but I was told that they can make 1/3 more gas per barrel as diesel. If you go to the site listed above and add diesel home heating and jet it get's closer, but I was suprised how much more gas is still used. Jake

JFinke , Mar 20, 2005
  8. lil red cummins

has to be gas use is higher. there are more police, fire, state, county and government vehicles idling right now , than there are big rigs, as we speak. :rolleyes:

jim

lil red cummins , Mar 20, 2005
  9. DieselMinded

all Fire trucks that I know are diesel

Some of our county vehicals are diesel also

Id say there are more SEMI running right now than cop cars

DM

10. IC Smoke

DIESEL

semis put THOUSANDS of fuel burning miles a week then idle all night long (except california) so multiply that times however many semis there are out there. And now the diesel craze is booming and there are more and more soccar moms driving the excursions (power choke) to work/soccar/timmys bday party. More and More and More lawnmowers are diesel now too! thats all we own and arnt looking back to gas.

About the municipal trucks alot of them are propane too so it could go either way

#2 is #1 in my rank! haha

Keep em' smokin!

Ian

IC Smoke , Mar 20, 2005
  11. Holysmokes

I don't think those numbers are all that accurate. Most everything I see runnin around anymore runs on rice. :rolleyes: (beside that, dont those rice burners get like 40 miles to the gallon. . they dont use much if thats the case) Take gas away from the U. S. and its inconvient. Take Diesel away... well... that would be the work of a terroist. Everything we touch came Semi,Freighter Ship, or by rail... INCLUDING GASOLINE. Diesel,Diesel,and Diesel. Oo. <---I like jumpy guy

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
    Holysmokes , Mar 20, 2005
  12. klenger

I saw a dump truck that had a sign across the tailgate "If you have it, a truck brought it".

As previously mentioned, when you factor in heating oil, jet fuel, railroad, ships, and all the OTR trucks on the road, it seems that there is a lot of diesel being used. On the other hand, gas vehicle drivers out number us by quite a bit. All in all, we are burning a lot of pertro.

klenger , Mar 20, 2005
  13. justinp20012500

HA!

I just made it 50 to 50!!

I vote for diesel!!

Think of all the construction equipment. All the semi's. All of us!!!

I really don't know what the real answer is.

Justin

justinp20012500 , Mar 20, 2005
  14. DieselMinded

I still say Diesel

DM

DieselMinded , Apr 16, 2005
  15. nickleinonen

i think it is diesel... a diesel locomotive running at full load on the engine [3000hp and larger] can consume several hundred gallons of fuel per hour. . but that same engine will use 2-3 gallons per hour idling... now you start looking at the amount of freight trains on the tracks per day...

and i think we can include jet aircraft into this... JP8 [?] jet fuel is pretty close to diesel fuel [and so is kero] and they aviation industry uses tons of it...

nickleinonen , Apr 16, 2005
  16. ToolManTimTaylor

Oh the numbers game. LOL!

Guys think about it

Cruize ships , Cargo Ships , Locomotives , Commuter trains (Some) Power generation , Trucking industry , Personal diesel transportation , Farming industry , MILITARY , State and local municipalities , ... on ... and ... on.

Heck in long Island there is a bank of generators all by themselves that consume some 15,000 gallons in a 24 hr period.

Quote by

Mr. David Berry , Vice President , Swift Transportation (Testifying on behalf of the American Trucking Association)

"Each year, the trucking industry consumes over 32 billion gallons of diesel fuel. "

The number of refineries in the U. S. peaked in 1981, when there were 315 operating refineries in the U. S. Many of these closed in the 1980’s because they were small and inefficient; owing their existence largely to government subsidies to small refiners that ended in 1981. However, even in the 1990’s, as the industry faced increasing requirements for cleaner fuels and improved environmental performance, the number of refineries continued to shrink—from 194 in 1990 to 155 at the end of the decade.

With essentially no new refinery construction (the last major refinery built in the U. S. was completed in 1976), growth in capacity at existing refineries has offset the effect of refinery closures—particularly in the later part of the last decade, with the result that total refinery capacity grew from 15. 5 to 16. 5 million barrels per day in the 1990s. But this increase has not been adequate to keep up with the growth in petroleum product demand. As a result, refinery excess capacity has fallen dramatically. Refinery capacity utilization, which had averaged in the high 80’s prior to the last decade, reached almost 93 percent in the year 2000 and at peak levels of seasonal demand, utilization was over 95 percent. This compares to an average utilization rate in other industries of 82 percent.

I would also like to give a warm round of applause for the oil industry for making what a 77 BILLION DOLLAR PROFIT!! Oo.

ToolManTimTaylor , Apr 16, 2005
  17. ToolManTimTaylor

And this is in 1995!!

ToolManTimTaylor , Apr 16, 2005
  18. fest3er

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/hs99/tables/mf21.pdf

Look at the "Total" row for columns "Total Consumption" and "Special Fuels", at the bottom. Looks like, for 1999, about 132 billion gallons of gasoline/gasahol were used, and 32 billion gallons of special fuels (diesel fuel and others) were used. In simpler terms, around 81% of motor fuel used is gasoline, and 19% is diesel and other fuels. Another report said farming accounts for only about 6% of diesel fuel consumption; I would expect other off-road diesel fuel consumption to be less than that.

I would have to say you are wrong by a very long chalk. There are *far* more gassers on the road than oil burners.

N

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2018
    fest3er , Apr 17, 2005
  19. Ol'TrailDog

Woke up in the middle of the night with Art Bell blaring on the XM radio. Believe me I never listen to Art Bell/George Nory - too strange for me. :rolleyes:

But Art had a Bio-diesel expert on and a few factoids he had:

* We are talking a blend not straight bio.

* Soy bean squished = 80% high protein mash and 20% oil.

* 2% of U. S. cars are diesel whereas around 50% of Euro cars are diesel. Reason is because diesel = more mpg and fuel is higher in Euro.

* The present high price is partly due to season use of diesel compared to gas. Gas consumption is higher in the summer with vacations and more driving, etcl. Whereas diesel use is comparatively higher in winter because of heating fuel and less driving by gassers. All this has to do with the 157 refineries production of diesel:gas. (Therefore, hopefully the price difference will shift back in the near future to be more what us diesel folks use to expect, i. e. comparatively lower prices - my thoughts)

* bio diesel has 65% better lubricity.

* The mandated 2007 low sulfur fuels will have poor lubricity. Therefore a bio-diesel blend will definitely help lubricity.

* No matter how you cut it fossil fuels are a limited resource. Not too far in the future and fossil fuels will be priced out of the market in favor of alternative fuels.

* Fred Diesels first diesel at the worlds fair ran on peanut oil.

* Fred was found floating in the English channel under mysterious circumstances.

The next guest had something to do with a horrible diesease which is set to exterminate mankind. So I switched the channel to 32 and went back to sleep, remaining blithely unaware of the impending doom. ;)

Ol'TrailDog , Apr 17, 2005
  20. Elite1