This truck is a

1. disaster

2. opportunity

3. hard-to-say

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reload4127

Been lurking for a while and looking for a used Ram 5500 series. Use case is supporting commercial fishing in Alaska so occasional heavy tows (20k-ish), but mostly truck camper, and moving heavy fishing stuff (nets, blocks, etc). Prices are crazy so I'm looking used and older; figure I would rather do an engine rebuild in the future and be able to afford it than pay for lower miles up front.

Found a 2015 RAM 5500 for $18k out-the-door with some unknowns and wondering if I should walk, invest more, or gamble. 240k miles on it. Dealer says the prior owner worked in pipe-laying in Texas (single owner truck via CarFax), and it was always maintained, but...

Specs: Ambulance Prep, AISIN HD, Electronic Shift-on-the-fly, Keyless entry, PTO prep, trailer brake, 52gal tank, exhaust brake, 4:44 axle, and limited slip with 240k miles.

Pretty clean inside. Service body that's definitely canted to the right. I really want a flatbed anyways.

Engine was deleted. Trip computer shows 9.4mpg which seems low for a delete. The DEF tank is still on the truck but there's a water bottle cap stuck in the fill port. I wasn't able to trace all connections but it looked it was disconnected.

Messages: change fuel filter, change oil filter, change oil, low coolant, service 4wd.

Lights: check engine light (was told it's a lean fuel code), traction control light (maybe a fuse, or speed sensor--I did see a seeping oil leak on the rear diff).

Concerning performance: drove it in town and on the highway. On acceleration (not flooring it) the engine would 'miss' and there would be a momentary loss of power (reminded me of air in the fuel line on a mechanical diesel engine). This mostly happened at low RPMs and didn't seem related to speed or rate of acceleration. Also won't shift into 4wd.

Price seems pretty fair for the market but I'm not sure how many issues may be here, or if this is all like simple stuff (fuses, sensors, air leak, etc).

I'm traveling through the town so couldn't get a shop/mechanic to look at it until Monday and I'm not even sure who I could trust on that. Could this be a good purchase or should I move on?

Side view of truck.jpeg #ad

Perform Service.jpeg #ad

Reload4127 , Mar 31, 2023
  2. Turbo Terry

240 k is a lot of mikes. It also has several issues and it’s deleted no one will work on it

Turbo Terry , Apr 1, 2023
    06 Dodge and Rob S like this.
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Deleted is a no-go nowadays - like said no workshop will usually touch it.
    Ans you NEED a dealer these days to keep these units properly running, even if it is just for the updates to keep it running. And sometimes to figure out difficult problems that go above the average Joe's workshop knowledge.

*you could ask your ram dealer if they will work on a del or not. If not let it go.

That's my opinion.

Ozymandias , Apr 1, 2023
    IH8CALI and Rob S like this.
  4. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Only a matter of time before the "Delete" comes back to bite you! EPA is slowly cracking down on anyone that has a repair shop that has worked on one. Unless you have the time and tools to do your own repairs, I'd keep kicking tires! Like @Ozymandias mentions, if the local dealer won't work on it, that's a big issue with needing updates installed!

Topzide , Apr 2, 2023
    Ozymandias, 06 Dodge and Rob S like this.
  5. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Sorry, I’m no gambler. I cant see giving that much to potentially give that much more (or even MORE!) to make it dependable….:eek:

BigPapa , Apr 2, 2023
    Topzide, 06 Dodge and Rob S like this.
  6. Wiredawg

Delete is a definite no go. 250K is not too many miles for this type of truck if it was serviced per OEM maintenance schedule. Only purchase a fully emission compliant vehicle.

Wiredawg , Apr 2, 2023
    bcbender, Topzide, 06 Dodge and 2 others like this.
  7. Joseph Donnelly

tilted bed--check the frame and springs carefully. You can be held liable to return it to emissions compliance either by a roadside check, or by a future owner, and the fine could be $10,000. If you don't have the "tuner" you could lose the tune through a software glitch, or a dealer reflash (they sometimes do it without your permission) and then there would be a number of DTC's and maybe it would not even run.

Joseph Donnelly , Apr 3, 2023
    Wiredawg likes this.
  8. Jim W TDR MEMBER

If a DEALER is selling you the truck, are you sure it has been deleted? The reason I state this is a dealer cannot sell legally a deleted truck, a private party can but not a dealer.
    In fact, I don't know of any dealer that would take a truck in trade that has been fully deleted.

If this is a dealer have them restore the truck so it can be legally complied to the EPA rules for that truck year.

Just saying.

Jim W , Apr 3, 2023
    Wiredawg, Cummins12V98 and Rob S like this.
  9. Turbo Terry

Where do you commercial fish in Alaska ?

Turbo Terry , Apr 3, 2023
    Rob S likes this.
  10. Wiredawg

I'm not surprised if this truck is deleted. I ran my 09 Ram 4500 deleted for 8 of the 9 years I owned it, but I carefully removed it, stored it, and successfully reinstalled it the last year I owned it. The MADS tune I ran did not roll coal.

A few years ago, we were traveling through one of the states that had significant oil pipeline construction. Appeared first thing the oil construction workers wer doing is buying nice new diesel pickups, stripping off the emissions equipment, installing complete aftermarket turbo back exhaust systems, and paying for the tunes to make it work. Rolling coal was the

When I traded my 4500 in, the dealer wanted the stacks removed and the muffler reinstalled before they would take it in trade. Honestly, the muffler didn't make a big difference and it was straight through with baffles. Happily, I had it too, reinstalled it, and traded it no problems.

Wiredawg , Apr 4, 2023
    Jim W likes this.
  11. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I too have all of my emission equipment stored in the garage attic. Main reason in IL the DPF's are a great money maker for some people along with the catalytic converter on gas engine cars.

Jim W , Apr 4, 2023
  12. Turbo Terry

Rolling coal was/is still very popular with some folks but at what cost .I did it myself a bit and was a noisy neighbor as well but those days are gone sad but true

Turbo Terry , Apr 4, 2023
    Wiredawg and Rob S like this.
  13. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Rollin' Coal around my parts will cost you your truck and a good part of your wallet! Those days are gone for sure. They're going after the motorcycles for straight pipes now. Even the "bumble bee" cars are being targeted. People need to read whats on their vehicles about the Federal Noise Compliance to what their vehicle was built to. It's all about being able to hear emergency vehicles that may be approaching from behind or other. Bad enough that people don't check mirrors before they move on over! Way to many what ifs with anything deleted or modified to be driven on the roads. Your choice, your money!

Topzide , Apr 4, 2023
    Wiredawg and Rob S like this.
  14. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

New Jersey?

Ozymandias , Apr 4, 2023
  15. petersonj TDR MEMBER

I think he is southern Maryland.

- John

petersonj , Apr 4, 2023
    Topzide likes this.