Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texas Diesel

After the 3rd Westech fuel pressure sender failed I took it apart. If yours isnt leaking, it will, just wait.

The order it is in is as follows:

1) baseplate

2)rubber diaphram

3)piston/plunger assembly

4)electro mechanical assembly

5) outer case

The problem is that the outer case is larger in diameter than the piston by a significant amount. The rubber diaphram flexes and rolls in this gap each time the fuel pressure goes from 0PSI to running PSI. The rubber diaphram is reinforced but is too thin. The constant flexing causes the rubber layers to seperate from the reinforcing material. A pinhole is the eventual result.

In the attached picture you can see the case line, piston line and you can see the amount of diaphram that is unsupported.

The design is poor, they will all fail (prematurely). Carry a plug to close off the supply to this POS.

Genos Garage: Stop carrying these, they are junk.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
    Texas Diesel , Dec 13, 2004
  2. Gary - K7GLD

HMMMmmm - 2 1/2 years and 30,000 miles on mine without the slightest problem... BUT, I connect mine to the VP-44 shrader valve, so disconnecting is as easy as removing a cap on a tire valve...

Gary - K7GLD , Dec 13, 2004
  3. TDRadmin Staff Member

A Few More Facts

Texas Diesel, when this thread was brought to my attention, I asked the staff of Geno's to pull up your account to see if they had handled your warranty situations appropriately:

1. gauge purchased - June, 2001

2. Sending unit replaced under warranty - April, 2002

3. Sending unit replaced under warranty - September, 2002

No further record of problems.

They did tell me that Westburg Mfg. redesigned the sending units earlier this year and that the leakage problems they previous saw seem to have improved significantly. Hopefully, this has resolved the problem.

I just thought you guys would like to know that Westburg Mfg. has taken action to resolve a problem they were aware of.

Robin

TDR Admin

TDRadmin , Dec 13, 2004
  4. 2broke2smoke

hey Robin,

is there any way to tell if i have the improved sending unit ...

i purchased mine from genos on 10/14/03

2broke2smoke , Dec 13, 2004
  5. Texas Diesel

Robin, thanks for posting that.

Last week I called Genos to enquire about a replacement sender. I was told I had to PURCHASE another sender in spite of my history of problems. I decided after a total of 4 failed and leaking senders I wouldnt waste any more money. Since I was told that I would have to buy another one (#4 sender) I decided to see why 4 had failed. I was told along the way, about #2 sender that Westech had "fixed" the problem. If they know that this design was defective why wont they warranty my latest failure?

When I called last week I spoke to you personally and you transfered me to a tech guy who informed of the current replacement costs.

If Westech has really FIXED the problem, they should replace my #4 sender thereby creating goodwill. 3 senders failed in 100k miles?

Westburg may be aware of the defect but I have had 3 fail and lost expensive fuel, and now have to buy a new part to replace a defect they are "aware" of. If Westburg wants make this right, they need to recall the defective units they are "aware" of and replace those and my #4 sender. These are a safety issue too, the others that leaked soaked my left fender with diesel fuel ( I have them remote mounted with a snubber ). D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
    Texas Diesel , Dec 13, 2004
  6. Diesel Gunner

I have also had two sending units fail and they were both replaced, one at no charge by Westach. I now have another that is failing (gauge swinging eratically on the pre filter side). Both previous replacements have been made politely and professionally.

I don't want to pile on here, as I am not quite sure that the old units should be replaced at no charge. I also, have had the engine compartment full of fuel, and have grumbled about the quality of the sending units. These are aftermarket items and the two that failed in my case were after one year. The one that is failing now is only about 3 months old and I was told then that they had resolved the problem, but that, the new units were not available yet.

With that said, I would agree with Texas Diesel that it would be a good move on the part of Westach to do something like a recall. The question that comes to my mind is "Would the vehicle manufacturer be required to recall the truck for a fuel leak?" I am no expert, but I think so. I would even be satisfied with a significant discount on a replacement. This still leaves me with the though of being broke down somewhere and how unhappy I will be again with these sending units.

Yea, I carry a plug. I guess that since I have two of them I should carry two plugs. It could happen.

Diesel Gunner , Dec 13, 2004
  7. jbone

Guys, Just for your info: Westach also makes an electronic sending unit, that of course requires a different Meter--after my first sender died, I replaced everything with electronic unit and no more problems... R, J. B. :)

jbone , Dec 14, 2004
  8. Gary - K7GLD

"Guys, Just for your info: Westach also makes an electronic sending unit, that of course requires a different Meter--after my first sender died, I replaced everything with electronic unit and no more problems... R, J. B"

UMMmmm - unless I'm mistaken, (again!) what is pictured at the beginning of this thread, and discussed here, *IS* an "electronic sending unit"... At least it sure looks like the one on MY truck...

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2018
    Gary - K7GLD , Dec 14, 2004
  9. rweis

I have all solid state Westach senders (pre fp, post fp, op) and have only had a problem with a single location (VP44). When a solid state sender failed after 1 year on the input to the VP44 Westach professionally replaced it. When that sender (the one on the VP44) failed after a year they replaced it again without a problem. I had several discussions with their engineering department as to what the problem could be. I am currently testing a different snubber concept as to how to measure the VP44 input fp without hammering the solid state sender to death from pulsations from the VP44. I only have about 6 months on the concept so no definitive answers yet, so far so good though.

None of the solid state senders have leaked a single drop.

I am VERY satisfied with the Westach products and would repurchase them again in a minute.

Bob Weis

rweis , Dec 14, 2004
  10. Texas Diesel

Hmmm, that the same offer they made to me :-laf

Great way to generate repeat business.

Gary, you better mount a bucket under those senders :-laf

Texas Diesel , Dec 14, 2004
  11. GKinney

boy I am glad I bought a DiPricol mechanical gauge..... but better knock on wood just in case. Good luck. Great pix Texas diesel!!!

GKinney , Dec 14, 2004
  12. **ICEMAN**

i've had this one for over 2 years without problems.

maybe yours don't like the 2 cycle oil i see you add to your fuel :rolleyes:

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2018
    **ICEMAN** , Dec 14, 2004
  13. tractorface

Thanks for the tip

Iam not wading in on the sender contraversy but I do think it is a good idea to carry a simple plug just in case whatever sender you run fails. I know I would not have thought of it.

Thanks TD :)

tractorface , Dec 14, 2004
  14. JTruelove

I installed one from Enterprise Diesel and I am pleased with the results.

JTruelove , Dec 14, 2004
  15. dezeldog

RE: Sender

I had the westach on my previous truck for 3yrs and over 250k with no problems. I'm going to buy again with confidence.

jim

dezeldog , Dec 14, 2004
  16. OTRPU

Me, I'll wait to hear what westach is going to do. If I put this stuff in my truck and go driving C2C it's just too dam expensive to have problems solved on the road. I'm sick to death of everybody wanting a deal, manufacturers cutting things to the bone, then crap breaks. Charge double for the crap, make it bullet proof and warranty the P out of it. If you shop the cheap discounts, buy two, the dam things are throw away. You can't even say these two words in the same sentance. . . cheap and quality.

I've had engines blow up and a transmission break and I's sick to death of it. Wow, do I feel better now.

Cheers,

Steve J

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
    OTRPU , Dec 15, 2004
  17. diesel DOG

40 + on mine but I will get plug, thanks.

diesel DOG , Dec 15, 2004
  18. Hemiless

Why not a valve.

Instead of everyone running out and buying a plug to have rattling around in there glove box. Why not just pick up a needle valve or ball valve to place in line before the sending unit that way with just a quick turn of the wrist the leak is fixed if you are that concerned about a failure.

Just my $. 02 :-{}

Hemiless , Dec 23, 2004