Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seafish

NEW SBC Product for our trucks

Look what I ordered from SBC when they were sending me the clutch that I won here on TDR...

I have been looking for an aftremarket shift knob to fit my truck but have NOT seen a single one that I like ALOT. I do like the plastic one that Genos sells that has the microswitch for an exhaust brake in it, BUT that one fits the NV5600, NOT the G56.

And then SBC comes along and makes these bad boys for BOTH the G56 transmission AND transfer case.

While they are not cryogenically treated :-laf they DO weigh in at over 8 ounces each (that's one-half pound each) of billet steel.

While that might not seem like much, you need to realize that the oem plastic one weighs in MAYBE at an ounce and the ones from SBC are the exact same size and shape.

Simply put, these shift knobs look GREAT and feel GREAT !!

I can't wait to get them installed and go for a drive !!

Here are some pics, but PLEASE note that I spent about 5 minutes polishing them up AND adding the black ink to the engraving design. Out of the box, they had a dull, machine finish and no black ink in the engraving.

I'll post more pics after I get them installed on the weekend.

PS-- I have no affilaition or investment with SBC... simply love their products, and I don't even have the new cryogenically treated ConOFE installed yet!! That'll be another thread !!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
    seafish , Jan 26, 2011
  2. RodMorris TDR MEMBER

I bet them babies are cold first thing in the morning!

RodMorris , Jan 28, 2011
  3. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

Nice look and shape. Better watch out in the summer time - yeow that's a hot one!!!!

Joe Mc , Jan 28, 2011
  4. seafish

Cold in the morning is OK, as long as my hand doesn't freeze to the shifter... ;)

Hot in the aftrenoon is OK, as long as I don't get 3rd degree burns... ;)

Personally, I think they are going to be just FINE, hot or cold... Oo.

I LIKE THEM, but that is probably obvious from my enthusiasm in the first post, and further more I think they are going to make my truck shift even SMOOOOOOOTHER then it already does. Haha... just kidding on the last part.

Note that since they no longer use the M10 x 1. 5 nut on top if the knob to hold the knob in alignment, I ended up using a die to carefully cut more threads down both the shift shafts until the new knobs tightened down hand tight to where they were aligned properly. Then I used a little loctite on each shaft. It took less then an hour for both of them, more then I thought it would to thread on a couple of knobs. , but IMO they came out just
    right.

In any case, here are a couple more pics after the install... . sorry they are not the best shots cuz it was already getting dark out. Maybe I'll post another couple shots this weekend.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
    seafish , Jan 28, 2011
  5. ENafziger

Looks great! If I didn't already have Harvey's knobs, I'd get them!

Don't let that shifter boot get torn on the end of the tape measure sticking up!!! :-laf

--Eric

ENafziger , Feb 18, 2011
  6. seafish

I am definitely liking these shift knobs !!!

While they are cool in the morning, warm in the afternoon, it is nothing out of the ordinary. Good eye on the tape measure!

Which are "Harvey's" knobs, out of curiosity?? Got pics or links?

seafish , Feb 18, 2011
  7. rivercat

im thinking all that weight could wear the syncros out prematurely, like a trucker resting his hand on the shifter wears the bushings in a big rig.

rivercat , Mar 1, 2011