Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFulford TDR MEMBER

That pretty much says it all. Or some sort of a drain plug install into a stock cover.
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd shortbed.
    Thanks
    jeff

JFulford , Jul 11, 2019
  2. seafish

If you want cheap and don't mind different, what I did at my first differential service ( once the cover was removed) was to find a low , thick spot at the bottom of the differential housing that dint interfere with anything. I then drilled and tapped a 1/8" FPT hole that served as the drain. and used a matching threaded Harley Davidson Primary case oil plug with a magnetic tip to screw into the threaded hole. I also used an o ring between the housing and shoulder of the plug. The HD part # is 739A and at the time cost me all of $15.

Doing it this way, you get to keep the oem diff cover but the drain plug in the housing definitely makes changing the lube MUCH easier and MUCH less messy. Of course it is still a good idea to every once in awhile remove the cover after draining in order to inspect for gear condition and wear patterns.

Just my .02

seafish , Jul 11, 2019
    Bill Lins and JFulford like this.
  3. JFulford TDR MEMBER

Thanks! That is the sort of information I was looking for. Do you have a pic as to where exactly the placement was? This is great info!
    jeff

JFulford , Jul 11, 2019
  4. seafish

I could prolly take a pic for you when I have some time over the weekend, but since you need to take the diff cover off anyways, it will be really ez to figure out--

low point for max drainage, thick point for structural integrity and obviously nowhere that will interfere with any moving parts.

If you buy the HD primary case plug first, you can be sure that you have the right drills and taps for perfect fitment.
    The diff case is mild steel and is easy to drill and tap.. you can also use a magnet to pickup any shavings inside the case after you drill and tap it. Also good to know is that the gasket on the oem cover is thick and reusable.

Honestly was NOT hard at all and it's kinda cool to have a functioning Harley as part of your truck !!! LOL !!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    seafish , Jul 12, 2019
    JFulford likes this.
  5. JFulford TDR MEMBER

Thanks again, will give it a try when I have a few things off the plate: leaking stack pipe, 02 sensor on nephews car, possible cat replacement....
    Jeff

JFulford , Jul 12, 2019