Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterdrago

So I've run through the search and come up with some possibilities but only hints at fixing this intermittent issue. Our 3500 diesel 4x4 has 20k on it. Yesterday we were out in some light rain running errands when the display between the speedometer and tach said" Service Electronic Braking System". It was on barely long enough to read it. Then both the ABS and Electronic Stability Control yellow telltale lights came on indicating malfunction or...? Shortly they went off. Then "Service Anti Lock System" display came on then went off. This went on and off several times. I pulled over where I could and cycled the ignition button a few times. When I went to press the brake to start the truck, the pedal went slowly to the floor and the truck started with no issues. The telltale lights continued to cycle a bit on the way home (15 minutes). Brake fluid was okay and everything seemed completely normal on our next trip out in a few hours.
    Something about checking each battery separately by disconnecting a cross connector. Can someone help me figure out what wire is the cross connector since there are many wires connected to both batteries? 2017 Ram 3500 diesel 4x4.

masterdrago , Jul 16, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  2. masterdrago

Well, since there have been so many who have responded to this simple request, I thought I might follow up on the complaint;=] Normally this place is a wealth of helpful info.

I finally had all I could take of this “bing, bing, bing, bing noise and the cruise control dropping out and the EVIC display (is that what it's called?) showing the service lights. I made an appointment with our local Ram dealer for 7am and when I dropped it off gave them the following “Love Note”.

2017 Ram Display Brake Error = Service Electronic Braking System

Service Antilock Braking System

See the 3 minute video at

This was on I-45 just north of the Woodlands although it seems to happen more often on rough road.

When it happens, the Cruise Control shuts down and the truck icon in the Navigation stops moving on the map.

When they called me to pick the truck up, below was on the print out……

Cause: has code c0020-01, hcu is short to ground on motor and took out abs module

Replaced: 68437098AB Module Anti Lock Brake System

Replaced: 68143491AA Control Anti Lock Brake System

Replaced hcu and abs module, test drove and everything is working properly

They also noted that they did the Recall V44 Tailgate Latch

When I drove the 3500 home the 20+ miles (4 miles on rough road), the problem did not reoccur.I guess we'll see.....

masterdrago , Aug 19, 2019
  3. nukegm

sounds like you had a positive dealership experience. thats always nice to hear. kinda rare these days. thanks for sharing the info. hopefully asome will find it helpful....cheers comrade!

nukegm , Aug 19, 2019
  4. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

I’ve had a similar situation going on. I lost cruise, traction control, 4wheel drive, abs and electronic brakes. Truck was in and out of the dealership for 3 weeks. I don’t have the invoice with me, but they changed a couple sensors, modules and a wheel bearing. I don’t know the order any of it was changed, but they kept changing things until the problems were resolved.

TRAMPLINEMAN , Aug 23, 2019
  5. Wiredawg

Friends,

I guess I'm the newest member of this club. My 2017 Ram 5500 after sitting 3 weeks, yesterday started displaying service msg and icons just like the OP. It appears to self clear after 15 minutes of driving. Guess I'm next to see my dealer.

I'll report results.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Aug 28, 2019
    DonFitzwater likes this.
  6. Deleted member 995608

Add me to the list. I got the same message morning after leaving my fire station. I've started/stopped the engine 2 more time this morning and it has not came back on.....yet

Deleted member 995608 , Sep 8, 2019
  7. Wiredawg

Thought I would follow up, truck cleared by itself.... i guess setting may have been a factor, drove today 30 miles to our favorite catfish restaurant, and no codes.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Sep 8, 2019
  8. MikeH

Thanks to the OP for the info. My 2017 with 17k miles started this last week. Hate to do it, but I guess it's back to the dealer for me. I'll post the results.

MikeH , Sep 14, 2019
  9. MikeH

Followup: Dealer diagnosed mine. "Bad HCU which took out driver in the ABS module."

They ordered parts and I dropped it off this afternoon for repair. Took about 2.5 hours. The repair order reads "Replaced the HCU and ABS module and bled brakes to repair issue."

Dealer was excellent. No BS, just took care of it and wanted to make sure I was happy.

MikeH , Sep 30, 2019
  10. dieselshadow

Well it seems this bug has bit another truck...

5D4BC860-C33E-47A1-8231-054B4205E6BF.jpeg #ad

I got a C0020 fault. I tried running the ABS recirculating pump test, nothing happened. Looks like an appointment at the dealer is needed.

dieselshadow , Nov 30, 2019
  11. Summit1

My 2017 Ram 2500 (just more than 39 months since new and ~35,000 miles) is at the dealership now; the hydraulic control unit was ordered and should arrive sometime today. The truck should be ready and good to go by tomorrow (I need it by Friday either way).

My symptoms were similar to those of all who posted here on this problem. For me, it went away for a week or so, but then came back to haunt me... always in an irregularly irregular pattern (reminded me of Atrial Fibrillation, which I do not have, but have taught about in the classrooms for more than twenty years ;) ). When the dealer tech hung "the box" on my OBD port, it displayed (and he printed out) several pages of various error codes. Apparently, FCA does not have a bazillion of these to hand out in larger quantities to all its dealerships... many dealers had previously just ordered a ton of parts for each case under warranty and employed the "shotgun approach". In my case, they verified to be best of their ability the module controlling the hydraulic unit is OK, but the HCU is on the verge of totally taking (leaving) a dump. The repair will require a few hours to complete, as they will bleed the system after installation, and then likely bleed it again (just to be sure), then check all else to ensure it is better than new. I was told the part alone costs a few hundred dollars, but my "co-pay" under the extended warranty is $100.

Summit1 , Oct 7, 2020