Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbo Terry

Most winter diesel fuels include some cetane. Some more than others. What I have read online most diesel fuel has about a 40 cetane number out of the pump Never really less than that. The most improvement that can be made is about 8 cetane numbers more by double dosing which gets you to about 48 cetane with 50 cetane being about the most to be used wisely. I have noticed a very pronounced better running starting and the sound of my 99 24 valve when I double dose Total Power It doesn’t die going into gear please see my recent post on that. I really only need to do this in the winter time. And then there’s the cost of doing it also. So my big question is can I over do cetane use and additive use and what would be any bad results. Also I’m open for any good discussion on cetane and it’s use. -12 f this am in Anchorage Alaska

Turbo Terry , Jan 26, 2020
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

50 cetane is mandatory in Europe.
    45 cetane is mandatory in Mexico.

My truck runs clearly best with european Diesel.
    Good with Mex. Diesel.
    Less with US Diesel.

So yes, the more cetane the better.
    Also the better milage.

Ozymandias , Jan 26, 2020
  3. Turbo Terry

So what is mandatory in the United States and also Canada

4. Turbo Terry

And I also wonder about state by state Cetane numbers when traveling

5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

To my knowledge 40 is Minimum at the pump US wide, California is higher. Have to check how much.

Ozymandias , Jan 26, 2020
  6. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Higher Cetane fuel has lower BTU’s, so it should be less efficient. I’m not sure if additives effect that as much as different refining thou.

Higher Cetane has good benefits for low temp, low load, and starting as well as high rpm operation (like the small diesels that are common in Europe). About the only time these motors really benefit from it, in my experience, is cold low load operation.

My 05 hated additional Cetane on the stock tune. It would knock lightly whenever it was used in warm temps, but cold weather was fine.

Ive run it a little in my 18 and see no change in mileage, but I run it for cold low temp and low load conditions to improve combustion and don’t expect much else from it. Mainly when I’m hunting and won’t put a load on the motor for lots of slow forest service road miles.

As for overdoing it I would stick with a 5-7 boost in Cetane they additives. It shouldn’t get much better if you make it higher. Winter fuel generally has higher Cetane than summer fuel too.

AH64ID , Jan 26, 2020
  7. Turbo Terry

So does # 2 have more Cetane or #1 ?

8. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

My understanding is that #1 does.

The minimum in the US is 40, but I think it’s more common for it to be around 42-45.

AH64ID , Jan 26, 2020
  9. Turbo Terry

I have been told #2 has no Cetane

10. Turbo Terry

I read that a fuel dealer somewhere in the south advertises super premium diesel with a 50 Cetane rating. Probably #2 as well

11. Chief USA TDR MEMBER

We already have and have had for a long time a fuel additive that addresses all of these and other issues at a great price formulated especially for TDR members:

https://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-fl.aspx

https://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-wda.aspx

Been using it for years. I get it in the 5 gallon container and pour it out into smaller dose size containers for when I fill up.

I am sure there are many other fuel additives that address these and other issues that are great products too.

Chief USA , Jan 26, 2020
  12. Turbo Terry

Very interesting product

13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

It has to have a minimum Cetane rating of 40 in the US, but it’s more commonly around 42-45.

Some “premium” diesels have as much as 60.

AH64ID , Jan 26, 2020
  14. Turbo Terry

California is at 50 and will most likely go higher Cetane makes diesel burn better and less pollution. Bell Performance makes a product called Super Tane and also has a pretty good you tube of the benefits of Cetane that’s worth a watch.

15. GAmes TDR MEMBER

I've been forced to purchase diesel in CA on quite a few occasions. I didn't notice a whit of difference in engine performance or mileage.

GAmes , Jan 27, 2020
  16. Regcabguy

North of Colonia Guerrero we supply the ULSD. I'm surprised at the 45 cetane requirement. Until a decade ago or so it was illegal for private citizens to own diesels down there. I did get some mileage increase in Utah.

Regcabguy , Feb 3, 2020