Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave M

Well. . I've been laying low avoiding asking this question since I'm not quite ready, but... . well... I found an HX-40/HX-35 Turbo with 14 or 16 cm housing for a good cheap price :cool: . Look at my sig. . what do you think about this turbo? I believe the current turbo is an HX35 (stock). What turbo will work best? Oo. Or should I wait till I can afford something else? :{

I'm getting ready to add #10 and 3K GSK but am looking at why I can only reach 8 psi boost (that can't be normal!). EGT's will hit 1200 (Pre Tubo) before I let up. Truck runs good but needs more OOMPH... . Bomb bug has hit :-laf.

This is a daily driver. Live in mountains at 2300 ft. Occasionally tow 2 horse trailer... usually below 3500 ft and down to sea level. But I have to climb up hills to get her home. Looking for about up to 350 HP max... . er... well... we'll see if I stop there ;).

I need to decide if this turbo will work to lower my EGT's before I add #10 and would a 14 cmm housing be a good compromise for spool-up and lower EGT's.

I need to check for boost leaks too, but I have a leaking hydroboost unit to replace this weekend.

Let er rip boys. What do ya think? I'm cheap and so is the HX-40/35 turbo :) I'm looking at. The Piers HX35/14 is tempting (from what I've read on this forum) but out of reach right now. I'm stupid about these things so... . be kind :-laf

Thanks for the input,

Dave

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
    Dave M , Feb 24, 2005
  2. hsmith

With that low boost, I think you have a leak at the intercooler inlet hose. That is the most common place. Also makes the egt's get out of range.

I run the PDR HX35-16 turbo. 30 psi the norm under heavy load with 1100 egt's. Can reach 1200, but not the norm. Lag is not a problem also.

Smitty

hsmith , Feb 24, 2005
  3. Dave M

hsmith: Thanks for that info. I tightened the clamps on everything a while ago but either its loose or a hole in boot. Is that usually leaking right at the intercooler connection on passenger side or at turbo?

Ive read alot of good about the Piers HX35. The 16cm doesn't give slower spoolup? I assume the 16cm would be better for lower EGT's than the 14cm. Is that 16cm wastegated? I can't afford that turbo right now. The HX40/35 hybrid I'm looking at is cheap and if it would work then I could get it now.

Thanks for reply. Keep em coming.

Dave

Dave M , Feb 24, 2005
  4. NBowlin

I know from me crawling around in the motor compartment my feet always end up on that lower intercooler hose, and it has caused it to blow apart right where the discharge elbow connects to the turbo. That is my experince anyways.

As far as egts goes. Once you get the low boost resolved you may find you have less of an issue than you thought. If you read thru here you will find a lot of guys daily driving on stock turbos with a fair amount of power. I know mine I ran all the mods in signiture minus the laser cuts, and 0 plate(4 at the time) and I towed around a 24' Inclosed toy hauler with 3 quads, dirt bike, tools, and the rest of the crap in the trailer. Its all about you watchin your guages and adjusting your right foot accordingly. Them lil' stock turbos will take quite a beating and keep goin. jmo

Nick

NBowlin , Feb 24, 2005
  5. Dave M

NBowlin: Great! I'll check there. I have read about testing for boost leaks with the test hose etc. . but It sounds difficult :confused: to get all the materials together and I have therefor been procrastinating on that. :{ I will check there first. If a see a hole in a boot I've been thinking of going with the Piers boots... . more money. :rolleyes:

That's good news... but it may hurt my case for a new turbo if my wife sees this... . :-{} :rolleyes: :-laf

It's good to hear the stock turbo can handle up to 350 HP. I plan on keeping the boost to 30-35psi... don't want to blow head gasket! :eek:

Keep em coming... I love when you talk diesel to me. :-laf This site is addicting guys... geeez! :-laf

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
    Dave M , Feb 24, 2005
  6. NBowlin

It's a slippery slope and there is no sense fighting it. You will end up in the same place.

Case for a new turbo and the wife..... no experience there i get married in 3. 5 months. Twins turbos in the mail now... . under the radar. Get to go to take 3 days out of the honeymoon for TIM, so its a good start. :-laf

Sorry I cant help with that dept, but at least you know you will have a bit of time to ensure the cost of the turbo will be even less noticed. Injectors would make a good case for a new turbo. stock ones where out and need to be replaced with 370s.

No worries though. You are in good hands, but your wallet is another thing.

NBowlin , Feb 24, 2005
  7. JPittinger

You might check the wastegate... At least block the signal line and see if your boost goes up (its free and thats why you have a boost gauge). 8 psi sucks.

JJ

JPittinger , Feb 25, 2005
  8. Dave M

JPittinger: Do I disconnect the line AT The Wastegate and plug the line I just disconnected? I guess that would tell me if the wastegate itself was leaking the boost... am I right on this?

It the boost goes up then would that tell me the wastegate is leaking? I'm not quite sure how the wastegate functions with the boost line connected to it.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave M , Feb 25, 2005
  9. JPittinger

I put a bolt in the rubber hose that connects to the WG, that seems to be easiest.

The line connected to the WG is basically manifold pressure, putting pressure on a diaphragm and spring, which moves the actuator arm that opens the WG.

If the boost goes up, it would tell you that the WG is opening too early. You can adjust the shaft to increase it if that's the problem. You could rig some hose up to compressed air to check its operation. Make sure that all the parts are moving properly.

I'm not saying this is definitely your problem, but it should be easy to check. I wish I could see your face when you do find the problem... goin from 8 to 30+ psi is going to make a big difference. Let us know what finally fixes it. Good luck.

JJ

JPittinger , Feb 25, 2005
  10. AMink TDR MEMBER

After plugging my wastegate (unhooked the hose at the turbo, plugged it with a 1/8"npt from when I installed a boost gauge), I went from about 24 to 31! I have a boost elbow to put in now. Stock is set at 18, I moved my stock plate forward and ground it a bit to get 24, then plugged. It's my understanding that as long as you stay at <35 psi on the stock turbo, you should be good. I would think that you will be able to move enough air to keep things cool. Piers recommends a 10 plate with 3000 GSK's, no mention of new turbo, for a set up that won't cook a stock transmission. Good luck

AMink , Feb 25, 2005
  11. Dave M

Thanks for clearing that test up for me. I will definitely try that :) .

I'm sure my chin will drop to the floor if that fixes it. :--)

I hope the truck improves when the boost goes up to normal... . What do you guys figure normal boost is pulling a hill... 20psi?

Thanks all for great help. I'm learning alot about this truck thanks to you fellas on TDR but it can be addicting... . I've developed a liking to diesel smell and especially turbo whistle :cool: and all that noise from the driver side of engine (Inj pump).

Geeez... If the truck runs this good at 8 psi boost what will happen at 20-30 psi boost :eek: . And then comes the #10 plate Oo. and 3K GSK Oo. Oo. waiting patiently on the bench to be installed (another great learning experience for me)... Wow... WEEE.

By the way... I'm waiting for my hydroboost unit to come from Hyrdatech so the truck is getting a rest for a week or more and therefore I can't try loooking for boost leaks til that's done. I miss my truck already :{

Thanks guys... Great ideas keep em coming. Still not sure if the HX40/35 turbo and wastegate are needed to keep temps down :confused: ... Hmmmm.

Dave

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
    Dave M , Feb 25, 2005
  12. Dave M

I'll definitely keep boost below 30-35 psi. Maybe I don't need the turbo changed from stock... but how much would using the HX40/35 hybrid turbo with say 14cm housing improve my temps verses staying with stock HX35/12cm? Any guesses out there?

Thanks for the responses.

Dave

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
    Dave M , Feb 25, 2005
  13. Dave M

Get New HX40/35 14 cm Turbo?

Well diesel connoisseurs :cool: ..... I'm still stuck here pondering... . new tubo... stock turbo... new turbo... stock turbo :rolleyes: . From what's been said so far it appears I need to address my low (8psi) boost and then the stock HX35/12cm may be adequate for up to 350 HP. Truck is down now for another week waiting for new hydroboost unit so looking for the boost leak has to wait.

However, I do have a shot at a cheap turbo complete with a 14cm or 16 cm wastegate and I need to decide this week or it will be gone to some other worthy turbo searcher. Would this be a worthy addition to add since I'll be adding the #10 plate and 3K GSk which should heat things up a tad? Would it cool down EGT's better than my stock setup (after I get the boost leak fixed) when towing up these hills in 100 degree F summer heat? I hate to pass this up (It too good of a cheap deal) and then later find I need to get a bigger housing. Geez... . this turbo with housing is cheaper than just a new wastegated housing..... Hmmmmmm.

So I guess. . the main question is... . Will swapping to say the 14 cm housing be worth doing... so then I can keep the go pedal mashed into the carpet :D when I tow in extreme heat, uphill pulling a 2-3 horse trailer, and. . what will changing to the HX40/35 do for EGT's and HP :confused: ? I guess that was two questions. . Huh :p ?

What to do... . what to do... . bigger is better!... Right?

Help me make up my mind guys:{ :-laf I guess you can tell I think I need this turbo/wastegateOo. Just need to justify it to myself :-laf .

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
    Dave M , Mar 1, 2005
  14. WaynesWorld TDR MEMBER

Dave M,

You didn't mention if the new turbo is another stock unit or a modified? Did I miss it?

I went with the 16 non-wastegated manifold in my first attempt at power. It satisfied me to the 350 hp range. :cool:

But that wasn't enough, as usual when the bombing bug bites hard.

Sit down & find where you want to go. My mistake. :eek:

The injectors & bigger turbo bit me then, be careful $$$$$.

It was worth it though! :p

There is no relief for this bug!!

Good luck,

WAYNES WORLD

WaynesWorld , Mar 1, 2005
  15. Dave M

Yeah, Wayne... Man the bomb bug has bit me :-laf . The Turbo is a used HX40/35 with 5,000 miles on it and includes my choice of 14cm or 16cm housing for the price of a new housing... . :{ :{ . . I want it.

I don't think a deal like this will happen again. I want the wastegate anyhow, but not sure how the new #10 and 3K GSK will match up with this turbo... . Just looking for opinions.

Thanks Guys,

Dave

Dave M , Mar 1, 2005
  16. WaynesWorld TDR MEMBER

Dave M,

Good find on that turbo. :cool:

Have you decided which 14 or 16 to buy? :-{}

You can adjust the wastegate to your preference, good idea. :D

The #10 & 3,000 gov springs will do fine. A suggestion, go with the afc kit as well. It will help with the turbo lag. It will bring on the fuel quicker for better takeoff. :p

Keep us posted in this forum or by pm. ;)

WAYNES WORLD

WaynesWorld , Mar 2, 2005
  17. Dave M

Wayne, I think I'll go with the 14cm since the 16cm may add low end lag. I assume you agree with getting the turbo? I'll reconsider the AFC kit... Piers didn't think it was necessary when I got the #10 and 3K GSK :rolleyes: so I didn't get it.

Hmmm... If the AFC will help with turbo lag... should I go for the 16cm instead of 14cm? Great!... . Now I got something more to ponder :{ ... . Well, Ill decide this whole thing in a day or two :-{} . Anybody got any wisdom to share let me have it, I'm waiting :-laf

I'm now assuming the thinking posture..... sitting down... elbow on knee... fist resting on chin in a thoughtfull posture..... Hmmmmm :-laf . Ok! I'm ready! Let er rip.

Thanks All for input,

Dave

Dave M , Mar 2, 2005
  18. WaynesWorld TDR MEMBER

DaveM,

I 'm glad that you are going to get the turbo. You cab resell it if you decide to upgrade. The 16 would yield more HP but its a start. :)

The afc change is cheap & will be needed if that turbo upgrade comes sooner rather than later. Till then, move that housing full forward. :cool:

While you have it apart, move your plate forward. :p

When this bombing bug is done, we can work on the next one.

sit down-----elbow in position-----chin appropiately placed-----eyes looking affectionately at the truck------take a deep breath-------let it out------- Oo.

get out those TDR magizines, thread printouts, sale notices from venders, & old posts. Now you are ready to work on the 400-500 hp range. :--)

We can work the home ground plate later.

Have fun, run hard, give soot,

WAYNES WORLD

19. Dave M

Wayne,

I hear Ya buddy :-laf ... . This thing needs more power Oo. Oo. Oo. Oo.

Someone want to tell my wife why :-{} ? :{ :{

Wayne, How'd ya know?... You must of been watching me :rolleyes: :-laf

Dave

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
    Dave M , Mar 2, 2005
  20. WaynesWorld TDR MEMBER

Dave M,

Great sense of humor, always needed & appreciated here. ;)

You can have your wife come over & talk to mine :{ . they can talk girl stuff & we can get the work done in the garage. :-laf

But to answer the question---------- :p

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT------------- :p

Wait, still doing it--------------------- :p

Thats why we are here!!!!

Whats next??

WAYNES WORLD