Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josephc1

While in Walmart a few days ago I was looking over the DEF containers. None of the 1 gallon and 2-1/2 gallon jugs had a production date stamped on the jug like they once did. They do still have the API certification on the label but didn't see ISO 22241. I have used Supertech DEF exclusively since I bought the truck with "0" issues, now without the production date I am having second thoughts. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

josephc1 , Sep 12, 2019
  2. sag2 TDR MEMBER

I have also only used Supertech and have to believe with the price point they sell a bunch of it. I have never looked for a date, and it doesn't concern me in the least.

sag2 , Sep 12, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  3. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

Ditto. As often as our very lame WalMart runs out of it, I am not concerned about freshness.

kthaxton , Sep 12, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  4. nukegm

ditto x3. i couldnt find a date on my last jug of supertech, for what thats worth. have had no issues with that product either. cheers!

nukegm , Sep 12, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  5. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

It took me a while to find the date code the other day on Peak Blue DEF from WM, as they changed the location.

IMG_20190831_132612.jpg #ad

SnoKing , Sep 12, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  6. josephc1

Guess I was concerned over nothing. Walmart does sell allot of DEF, next time i'm ready for some I'll stick with Supertech.

josephc1 , Sep 12, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  7. RVTRKN

Now that I'm buying DEF again, I'm going to stick with what has been proven, "to me" to be a very good product "Peak Blue DEF". I never looked for a date, but now I'll pay attention. If the bottle's seal has not been broken where's the worry, if it has, it's getting returned.

RVTRKN , Sep 13, 2019
  8. garyp285

Yea if the seal is broken somebody probably licked it.lol

garyp285 , Sep 13, 2019
    Ram4Sam likes this.
  9. TCDiesel

DEF has the most commonly used 2 Chemicals in the WORLD, H20 Water and CH4N20 Urea Containing 46% Nitrogen, its API at 67.5 Deionized Water and 32.5 % Urea.... Tomato Soup is more complex mixture.

It will last Decades if Stored Properly at temps 50-90F

If DEF is bad it will have solids appearing or it will be cloudy and is easily seen with 20/20 vision.

Human Drink water and create Urea, its a waste product .Blue DEF is NO different then any other DEF in the WORLD.

TCDiesel , Sep 14, 2019
    AH64ID and Wiredawg like this.
  10. gsbrockman

Why not simply check the seal BEFORE entering the checkout lane?

gsbrockman , Sep 14, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  11. jhenderson

You’d be surprised how many jugs I check have a loose seal. Not damaged, just not stuck. I check in the aisle before purchase. I’m not saying they’ve been tampered with ( probably just a poor glue job) but I don’t take chances.

jhenderson , Sep 14, 2019
  12. Newsa

It makes sense that the DEF at the pump would last longer than the quoted average DEF life of 2 years.

These 1 and 2.5 gallon bottles spend probably several months in unairconditioned warehouses and delivery trucks especially in the summer down here in south Florida. Large quatities shipped in bulk for pump delivery would take much longer to heat up to 120+ degrees in the heat and sun.

Newsa , Sep 14, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  13. TFucili

Today, still $7.88 with date code and prophylactic device in place:p

20190915_151143.jpg #ad

TFucili , Sep 15, 2019
    Cummins2014 and Wiredawg like this.
  14. RVTRKN

It's a odd conclusion, but yes the underground tank is cooler, but I doubt the tanker is refrigerated, nor the storage tank at the fuel depot. Unless you buy a bottle from some backwoods store where it sits for months on a shelf. It's more likely to be fresh in a high traffic store, but now that I know it's dated, I will check that before purchase.

RVTRKN , Sep 15, 2019
    Cummins2014 likes this.
  15. Newsa

There was a USA 1 brand DEF pump that was an odd shape and separate from the fuel pumps that appeared to be refrigerated in Blackfoot Idaho.

Newsa , Sep 16, 2019
  16. Newsa

My conclusion is based on the premise that it seems it would take much much longer to raise the temp of 100,000 gallons of a bulk liquid as compared to raising the temp of several pallets of individually packaged 1 and 2.5 gallon containers ofnthe same liquid.

Newsa , Sep 16, 2019
  17. RVTRKN

OK, we'll assume the bulk DEF is refrigerated, stored underground, never allowed to get over 72* (arbitrary number) and moves so fast that it never sits in tank over 90 days and the tank didn't get any rain water in it. So has there been any known engine/DEF systems failures from Quality DEF in the 1-2.5 gal. containers?

RVTRKN , Sep 16, 2019
  18. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

So much DEF dwelling......
    Pour/pump it in, drive. Done.

kthaxton , Sep 16, 2019
    Larry Willard, sag2, Big E and 3 others like this.
  19. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

To decode Peak Blue DEF code above the 20 is for 2020 and 131 the number of days remaining in 2019. I bought it at 121 days remaining. So it was 10 days old when I bought it. I added a widget called 'countdown days' to an adroid home screen. So now when go to WM for Peak BlueDEF I can decode the day easier.

Also send Peak an email asking how many places in the US that they produce DEF. I have also noticed at some Walmart's that the person stocking the shelf is leaving the older stuff on the back of the shelf. No one has mostly like talked to them about day codes.

Screenshot_20190916-070532.png #ad

SnoKing , Sep 16, 2019
  20. Cummins2014

As long as I have been buying Peak DEF, over 5 years now, I have seen it as new as 2-3 weeks old. Very doubtful it sits for months anywhere in a warehouse, certainly not where I buy it. Anyone that runs DEF needs to know about the aging, and read the date codes, if not then use at your own peril .

Cummins2014 , Sep 16, 2019