Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonS

I know I'm severely under-aspirated with the stock turbo. With the mods in my sig, any recommendations for a turbo that would a) give me enough air for my fueling, b) not "break" anything I haven't beefed up (e.g. head bolts/gasket), and, somewhat subjectively, c) not draw the ire of the wife when she sees the credit card statement?

Years ago, I think the recommendation might've been the Silver Bullet 66. Not sure if things have changed since I last investigated.

DonS , Oct 20, 2014
  2. Vaughn MacKenzie TDR MEMBER

Yeah, you're definitely beyond a stock turbo! If you want something good, look into a Stage 2 or Stage 3 Garret dual ball bearing turbo, the GT3788R, with .89 AR housing. With your fueling the Stage 3 would probably be a better choice, but in order to avoid running the risk of it surging you would need to do a cam upgrade. You would like it much better than a Silver 66 in terms of spoolability for daily driving. There are quite a few vendors who sell Garrett GT3788R turbos but I recommend http://www.turboresource.com since they do some modifications and install HX40 exhaust housings (GT3788Rs are often sold with 3" HX35 style outlets). Tom Spictig is the guy to talk to at Turbo Re-Source.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Vaughn MacKenzie , Oct 24, 2014