Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbowski

Hello all,

I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 and I recently went to the lake with my 37ft travel trailer and I'm pretty sure I hurt the turbo. Yesterday I was checking my fluid levels and noticed that the air filter had some oil in it. I am pretty sure I busted a seal in the turbo. I haven't had time to pull the filter and check for sure that it is the turbo or not.

My question is, What is the best rebuild kit for the HX35W turbo?
    Thank you all.

Turbowski , Jun 14, 2019
  2. seafish

That would be a genuine Cummins kit from a reputable distributor/dealer...in other words, NOT one that claims to be "Genuine Cummings" (LOL) off eBay or Amazon !!!

This Holset kit from Amazon is NOT genuine despite claiming to be (read the review for more info)--

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Holset-Cummins-Turbo-Rebuild/dp/B00M9NJ1VK#customerReviews

This one form Diesel Auto Power is likely genuine, but you would best call to double check with them and then inspect carefully on arrival--

https://www.dieselautopower.com/holset-genuine-hx35-rebuild-kit-3575169/

You might well want to check with Genos garage and see if they have it or can get it for you !!!

seafish , Jun 14, 2019
    Michaelsloft likes this.
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I wouldn't recommend to rebuild a turbo DIY in general.
    These are high tech units with thight clearences and stuff that has to be watched for.

And i do a transmission rebuild myself - but wouldn't touch a turbo.

Ozymandias , Jun 14, 2019
  4. seafish

Even though the tolerances are close and the turbo can spin up to 150k rom, it's really not that hard...the tolerances are actually built into the turbo and replacement parts...just need to have basic tools and solid mechanical aptitude.

seafish , Jun 14, 2019
  5. Turbowski

Thank you all. I feel kind of stupid. Like I said in the original post, that the air filter had oil in it. well turns out there was no oil in the filter itself. I was just assuming that cause it looked like it was bleeding through the filter itself. When I removed the filter, there was no oil inside at all. I checked the turbo and again no oil that has been pushed anywhere. so I removed the turbo just for grins and still nothing wrong. My assumption of hurting the turbo and needing to rebuild were wrong and I feel very stupid lol. I guess I jumped the gun a little early lol.
    Good news is. I was checking the play on the turbo itself and there is no play either side to side or front to back so that's good lol. yall have a great day.

Turbowski , Jun 17, 2019
    Ozymandias likes this.
  6. bigceltic TDR MEMBER

You may want to look up Turbo Re-source (https://www.turboresource.com/) I had them build me a turbo and it has been great. They took as stock model and upgraded/blueprinted it and sent it to me, and I sent them mine back once the new one was installed.

bigceltic , Jun 17, 2019