Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RexHoward TDR MEMBER

i have a 2017 3500 6.7 with 50,000 miles turbo is acting up p0046 u010c p003a p00af p2bac are my codes any one had this problem that has ideas please advise sometimes boost is fine and sometimes wont get over 10 psi

RexHoward , Mar 8, 2023
  2. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@RexHoward, Your actuator is dying. Better get a City Diesel replacement on order as Geno's is end of March before they ship. Just did mine in Dec. Not to bad of a job. You'll have to drain antifreeze to do replacement. Look at the replacement install directions and ask questions. Did mine outside and basic hand tools. That's the exact way mine was acting, little boost and hardly any exhaust brake! Good luck with repairs.

Topzide , Mar 8, 2023
  3. Topzide TDR MEMBER

And by the way, welcome to TDR! You'll find plenty of help and info. Everybody has either been there done that or knows where to point you.

Topzide , Mar 8, 2023
    Rob S likes this.
  4. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

You man want to contact RAM as they have done some extended warranties.

Cummins12V98 , Mar 8, 2023
    Rob S likes this.
  5. firefighter_2000

firefighter_2000 , Mar 11, 2023
  6. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Why would you want a reman? City Diesel has rebuilt for the ground up with far better components! Plus you don't need to rent a calibration tool or have to worry about returning a core! Still have a wait to get a unit from Circuit Board Medics. Why would you like to put on something that was a problem and had only the components that don't pass replaced! City looked to fix the issue not repair the issue! City gives your 2 years and 20k hour components along with a stronger drive motor. I would've been out a core charge due to stuck bolts that had to be cut and nicked the housing which states no damage to housing. All I had to do was bolt up, refill antifreeze and turn key.! JM2C. There's a reason that Genos will sell them.

Topzide , Mar 11, 2023
  7. firefighter_2000

Wow. Chill man. I was just offering a solution if he couldn’t wait until the end of the month. Circuit board medics are reputable just like City Diesel & Genos. They also offer overnight shipping. I had my EVIC cluster back in two days. We are all here to try and help. There is more than one way to do a repair, and more than one place to get parts.

Ozymandias likes this.
  8. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I was pointing out that unless everything is new do to heat cycling on the electronics shorten their life. The factory unit has 4k hour electronics vs the 20k that City uses. I hate to have someone get a reman and crap out in short time. Not a fun job to do once let alone have to redo even if under warranty. A EVIC is a way different animal then actuator. Mine died just short of 5k hours on clock, so if all goes well with 20k hours parts, that'll be another 25 plus years till next time. :D When you loose actuator, you'll have less than 30hp EB power! Not fun if you're towing down a grade and need that help! Believe me, I looked at all possible options when mine started to fail. When you start to compare the fine print, City is the best choice short of replacing the whole turbo. No offense taken just pointing out the short falls and time shouldn't dictate you choice on a complicated repair.

Topzide , Mar 11, 2023
  9. firefighter_2000

I totally agree. I had an issue with mine and time was a factor. I didn’t have two weeks to wait on parts, so I did the “other” repair that got me back on the road & a more reliable truck.

10. SHobbs

Something else to consider is the electrical plug to the actuator. I put a rebuilt turbo on my truck and still had codes, no exhuast brake and low boost. When I wiggled, pushed or pulled on the connector things would act normal. If that is the issue Ram has a replacement connector with pigtails for it.

SHobbs , Mar 11, 2023
  11. BrentM TDR MEMBER

I just replaced my actuator with the city diesel one from Geno's. Actually showed up 2 weeks earlier than they stated. I had a P00AF code and my actual and desired VGT % Closed differed (see chart below) so it was obvious that the actuator was not performing. Lost my exhaust brake and had poor acceleration.
    chart.png

The City Diesel unit install was simple and works flawlessly.
    PXL_20230201_042656065.jpg

They even provide a hex bit to get the bolt out behind the shock tower.

BrentM , Mar 12, 2023
    JLandry, TomBrady and Topzide like this.
  12. Joseph Donnelly

For background research, see my two part article in the magazine about a year ago, Issues 114, 115.

Joseph Donnelly , Mar 13, 2023
    Topzide and JLandry like this.