Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHull

I have a 2014 Forest River Heritage Glen tag along. I was in the process of getting it ready for a trip when one of the kids was rushing me to move the camper so she could leave in frustration I moved it without disconnecting the power cord. Yes it ripped out he camper and the plug in the garage. Went to the local camper store and bought a new male and female plug ouch very expensive. Made my repairs and we went on our way. Got to the camp ground hocked everything up all is great. About two hours later noticed the lights getting dim and the refer stop working check the battery was very low on charge down to 9 volts. I had a battery charger in my truck put it on and in minutes everything was back up. When I got back home I plugged in and put my meter on the battery and it showed no gain in voltage. So my question is what in the heck is wrong with my camper I have several more trips planned one in 2 weeks if anyone can help I would be very thankful.

DHull , Jun 28, 2018
  2. kcv67

Check the fuses on the inverter.

kcv67 , Jun 28, 2018
  3. DHull

yes there are two both where ok

DHull , Jun 28, 2018
  4. Big Johann

did you check the truck to make sure you have a 12 volt battry supply to the trailer? maybe you blew a fuse or pulled something loose in the truck when you traumaticically amputated the trailer
    harness.

Big Johann , Jun 28, 2018
  5. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Check your breakers as well, one may be partially tripped...

mwilson , Jun 28, 2018
  6. DHull

It was the 50amp power cord I ripped out

DHull , Jun 28, 2018
  7. garyp285

When your on 50 amp shore power make sure you have both 110V legs working. If it broke one of them it might be the one for the converter/charger.

garyp285 , Jun 28, 2018
  8. DHull

I am showing 120 A/C on both sides of the 50amp breaker in the camper Is it possible the converter/charger has shorted and is there anyway to check I do has a very good back ground of electrical systems just do not know how the campers are wired or configured.

DHull , Jun 28, 2018
  9. 2013megacab

If the neutral wire parted first you may have ended up with 240V on the converter and damaged it. Disconnect the negative cables from both batteries. With the converter powered up, measure the voltage at its DC output. Should be 13.2 volts or higher. Check everything AC powered, like the air conditioner, fridge on shore power, etc.

Al

2013megacab , Jun 28, 2018
  10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

You may want to post in the Towing, Hauling and RV Forum

Cummins12V98 , Jun 29, 2018
  11. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Measure across the two hot legs at the output of the main breaking in the trailers power panel and verify that you have 240V showing that you rewired things correctly.

Measure for 13.2V+/- at the output if the converter.

Also many manufactures use a resettable circuit breaker in the converter lead to the battery. Look for a block of circuit breakers and then for a black or red reset button on the side of one.

SnoKing

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    SnoKing , Jun 29, 2018
  12. Dasmoeturhead

What SnoKing said has happened to me several times. Your symptoms sound just like mine did, except I didn't pull the plugs off the wall .☺

Also many manufactures use a resettable circuit breaker in the converter lead to the battery. Look for a block of circuit breakers and then for a black or red reset button on the side of one.

Dasmoeturhead , Jun 29, 2018
  13. DHull

After all the testing the converter/charger has quit charging so now shopping for a quality replacement. Thank you all who responded

DHull , Jun 30, 2018