Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Txhazmat

Hello all,
    I have a 2012 2500 with 98k miles. My DPF is clogged and dealer says it needs to be replaced. Saw that Bully Dog has a DPF filter for the 12's. Does anyone have one, or anyone have info on whether it works or not? I live in the Denver area, and can't do the EGR/DPF delete. Thanks!

Txhazmat , Apr 16, 2018
  2. Wayne M.

I know bully has one for Ford, didn't know about the Ram number. If it's anything like the Ford one I saw, it's a winner. The DPF can be dropped out and baked. If it has the proper certs and it's legal to use, go for it!
    Got a link?

Wayne M. , Apr 16, 2018
  3. Txhazmat

Hi Wayne,
    I saw it on the Bully Dog website, but the link doesn’t work. So cant get any info from there. Found it on Jegs, says its emission compliant, and can pressure wash it out. I like what I see, specially the price. Good to know it works on the Fords. Would imagine it would work for The Cummins. Just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it.

I found it on Jegs here:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Bully-Dog/159...1cqpgVw7Buyam0bX-gh1fX3yi1e1Q9pRoCT4QQAvD_BwE

Txhazmat , Apr 16, 2018
  4. Bob4x4

Just be aware the dpf rarely plugs without an outside cause,if that issue is not found and repaired first the replacement will also plug

Bob4x4 , Apr 17, 2018
  5. Wayne M.

I looked on jegs, that is trick.
    Bob is right, a DPF shouldn't plug, and if it does, there has to be a reason. I assume your MIL is on, would you mind listing the codes? Does the engine use oil? How's your turbo?

Wayne M. , Apr 17, 2018
  6. 6V92TA

duty cycle plays a part in DPF clogging

I suspect it won't be too long before some company will come up with a service where they cut your DPF open and clean it out and weld it back together for a lot less than the cost of a replacement DPF for these trucks..

6V92TA , Apr 18, 2018
  7. Beast2B

I would spend some time looking on forum classifieds and craigslist and ebay for a take-off exhaust from someone who deleted. I'm sure you can find stock stuff under $1000

Beast2B , Apr 18, 2018
  8. Txhazmat

Hey Bob,
    I bought the truck last year with 74K on it. 2 days after leaving the lot the check engine light came on. Took it back into them, said the EGR systems needed to be cleaned, so had them do it. Other than that the truck has been running fine. It does seem like the light comes on about every 3 months though. Lately the regen has been running more often than not.

Txhazmat , Apr 18, 2018
  9. Txhazmat

Hey Wayne,
    The codes I have seen are: P-21B3; P-0580; P-0606.

The truck doesn't use oil, similar to my 01 that I had. I saw on here for the 12's to change the crackcase filter more often. I 've been changing it when I change oil. As far as the turbo, I have no idea. It seems to be running fine, but don't have gauges (yet) tokeep an eye on it.

Txhazmat , Apr 18, 2018
  10. Txhazmat

That would be nice if someone did that.

Txhazmat , Apr 18, 2018
  11. Wayne M.

Does the dealer have any opinion on these codes? Have they seen them? I think P21B3 regards the nox sensor.
    On the big trucks, When there's a fault, regens are not happening. You can't drive around with a check engine light on like the old days.

Wayne M. , Apr 18, 2018
  12. Txhazmat

The dealer has seen them. They keep telling me its the DPF that needs replacing. Typical *******, can't trust them. The first time I took it in with those codes they told me I was running the truck without DEF. I told him if he could show me where the DEF goes on a '12 I would. He had no clue.

Been running some CRC fuel therapy in it. Read on here that helps the DPF. The light goes off in a couple days after a good dose of it. The tail pipe does have soot on it, so guess thats why they say the DPF needs replacing?

BTW, nice Duster!

Txhazmat , Apr 18, 2018
  13. Wayne M.

Thanks TX, it was my first car in '84.
    Sounds to me like you might want to find another service dept.
    Soot in the tailpipe means the DPF is breached and it's not doing its job AND it's not plugged. I think you'd have another code for that.
    You need to get that truck to a competent mechanic and get it straightened out. It's not going to be easy or cheap, but it's possible.

Wayne M. , Apr 18, 2018
  14. Bob4x4

I would look for another shop to check out your truck.The p0580 is for a cruise switch issue,the p21b3 has about 9 different possible causes,the set condition is the time duration after an active regen request exceeds a calibrated threshold and the dox inlet temp has not reached the light off temp threshold to begin closed loop control.The p0606 can be caused by an aftermarket programmer,failed flash or even an ecm failure

Bob4x4 , Apr 18, 2018
  15. Txhazmat

Called a couple dealers, seems they have only a few diesel mechanics that rotate between dealerships. Found a couple of diesel performance shops, may take it down and see what they say.

Txhazmat , Apr 19, 2018
  16. Txhazmat

I have noticed it's been in regen frequently lately. Last time the lights came on, took about 3 days then they went off. As far as I can tell the truck hasn't had a programmer on it. I know the ecm was replaced a couple of years ago under warranty. Maybe it's having issues again too. ?

Txhazmat , Apr 19, 2018
  17. truckmen

There are services that do that kind of work. Googling DPF cleaning brings a list up.

truckmen , Jun 29, 2018