Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach

Hey everyone I drive a 14 6.7 Cummins with 98k on it and about 3 months ago I popped a P003A (Actuator out of limits fault) and did hours of research and went to the dealership since it’s still under warranty. The forums all called out the Turbo actuator and so did the dealership. So I decided to take on the replacement myself since the dealership quoted me $4200!. I bought a re-man turbo actuator from avi_Corp on eBay and bought a Autel MS906 scanner for the pre-align and calibration. I replaced the actuator last weekend and it passed the calibration and everything and the vein arm moves freely with no binding. Just to take it on a test ride and more faults pop up. Everything worked fine built 30lb no problem and exhaust brake was strong how it used to be until about 15 minutes in I got another check engine light. Now I have U010C/P003A/P00AF codes and the truck won’t build boost quick and it’s only about 20lb and exhaust brake freaks out. Everything works perfect until the check engine light comes on. My question is after installing a new actuator that passed the test I through at it why would I have more faults not then I did before. Any help would be appreciated and have a great day!!

Zach , Jul 17, 2019
  2. jhenderson

Poor quality reman comes to mind.

jhenderson , Jul 18, 2019
    CAROLINA CUMMINS and TCDiesel like this.
  3. 12LaramieHO TDR MEMBER

Zach,
    From what you said, based on mileage and age, how come the repairs were not covered under the engine warranty? Did you press the mileage past 100K prior to the Dealer looking at it or are they saying it's not covered?

I cannot remember if it was the last issue of the TDR or the one prior, but they had a pretty good expose/write up on City Diesel's specially designed and built half shell actuators. But referencing Geno's Garage on City's actuator ( https://www.genosgarage.com/product/ram-cummins-turbo-actuator-halp-act12c1/engine-turbo ) half shell part it specifically says 07.5-12's, so I am not sure what the difference will be for a 14'.
    You might want to take a look and give Geno's a call and see if they can shed some light on the differences.
    Also City Diesel may be able to shed some light on possibly rebuilding the "old" actuator or giving you some technical guidance as to what you options are.
    City Diesel is here and hopefully they can help (https://www.citydiesel.net/index.php?action=turbo)
    And I agree with jhenderson, it was probably poor quality to start with.
    ~Chad

12LaramieHO , Jul 18, 2019
    DonFitzwater likes this.
  4. jhenderson

Different part number for 13 and up actuator.12 and down part number hasn’t been superseded to the later model so they are not interchangeable.

jhenderson , Jul 18, 2019
    HPSimpson and 12LaramieHO like this.
  5. TCDiesel

Ebay......is were you buy simple products like tools, light bulbs, batteries ,not sophisticated engine parts.

The only exception to this rule is OEM sellers and that carries some risk also.

TCDiesel , Jul 18, 2019
  6. 12LaramieHO TDR MEMBER

Got it. I knew they had to be different, being that the City Diesel actuator specifically states the 07.5' to 12' model years.
    Still City Diesel may be able to assist him or at least guide him in the correct direction.

Still wondering about the warranty question.?.?.?…? Seems it would be covered.
    ~C

12LaramieHO , Jul 18, 2019
  7. Zach

I took it to the dealership and they told me that the actuator was not apart of the power train warranty?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
    Zach , Jul 19, 2019
  8. jhenderson

Most posts about failures say FCA denied warranty claiming the turbo was covered for 100K miles but not the actuator because it was electrical, not mechanical. Seems stupid since a new turbo comes with a new actuator but those are the reports.

jhenderson , Jul 19, 2019
    DonFitzwater and 12LaramieHO like this.
  9. 12LaramieHO TDR MEMBER

GOT IT, LOUD and CLEAR now! I have had dealings with FCA & Dealers regarding "electrical" components and warranty requests issues. Even though I opted for an additional "electronics" warranty for 7 years, the one and only time it came to mind was when a Key FOB failed and FCA & Dealer told me the exact same thing, sorry it's electrical, anything could have happened to it. Needless to say it made me see RED. I asked them, then what the hell is it good for? I just got a blank stare. So I understand now..... But...…. I would try to push it as far as I could.
    ~C

12LaramieHO , Jul 19, 2019