Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterdrago

Somewhere in these forums, I've seen some sort of valve that you can replace the plug with that allows less of a mess when doing the drain. I want to easily grab a sample for Blackstone but have wondered about the negative side. Protruding into the pan allowing some bad goo to remain. Hanging down low and snagging "stuff". Slow draining, etc. Which one would I need and can folks confirm any negative side effects?

masterdrago , May 2, 2018
  2. jhenderson

I run a Fumoto finger touch from Genos. It does not protrude into the pan enough to prevent any oil from draining that would ordinarily drain with the factory plug. Somewhere there are photos of a pan removed from the truck with the quick drain installed. Warm oil drains fast enough that by the time I change the filter the pan is empty. I use the one without the nipple so it doesn’t hang any lower than necessary. On my 4 wheel drive it sits higher than the front axle housing. I’m off-road almost daily and plow snow in the winter. I’ve installed these on my last two trucks and have had no problems in over 450,000 miles of use. That could change tomorrow but it’s my experience so far.

jhenderson , May 2, 2018
    MRay0324 likes this.
  3. Killer223

i have 3 cummins trucks, all 3 have these valves.
    i crawl under, open valve into drain bucket, go up top pull intake tube off remove oil filter, replace oil filter, replace intake tube, go back under close valve that has finished draining, go up top fill with oil. be happy.

Killer223 , May 2, 2018
  4. Deleted member 995608

I have yet to read a single story where A Fumoto or an other similar valves were ripped off the pan

Deleted member 995608 , May 2, 2018
  5. TCDiesel

Aisin valve.jpg #ad
    X2 have them on every vehicle I own engine Trans. (Fumoto)

TCDiesel , May 2, 2018
  6. TCDiesel

The new software flipped the Picture.

TCDiesel , May 2, 2018
  7. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Personally would not use. Lots of jerks out there. I have no issues draining my oil.

Cummins12V98 , May 2, 2018
  8. Flash1034

I’ve got a Fumoto on mine too. Love it.

Flash1034 , May 3, 2018
  9. masterdrago

I was just thinking it might make getting a sample much easier (cleaner). Sure, while the oil is about halfway drained (per Blackstone suggestion), I can just tip a small clean container into the stream and grab some. Just seems really messy way to get it - that damned diesel oil is the dirtiest oil I've ever encountered.

masterdrago , May 3, 2018
  10. 6V92TA

Masterdrago, I have that drain valve installed on my truck.. I like it... and it would be excellent for drawing a sample. I don't have any enemies because everybody loves me so I am not worried about anybody draining my oil just to mess with me..

have to admit that drain valve is one of the better 20 dollar investments I have installed on a vehicle..

6V92TA , May 3, 2018
    CEppinger likes this.
  11. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

I have one too, no concerns.

kthaxton , May 3, 2018
  12. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I have had one installed since April of 09 in the engine oil pan. The only issue that I have seen is it takes a little longer to drain the oil from the engine. I usually warm up the oil to operating temperature and then open up the valve. I drain this into a 5-gallon oil pan from Walmart. I will than take an oil sample about 5 mins into the draining process and will then go into the house for lunch. After 30 min's or so, the engine oil has drained.

Jim W , May 3, 2018
  13. MLee TDR MEMBER

I have a Fumoto also and to combat the idea that someone might drain your oil, or it get opened while in the brush, I put a small hose clamp over it, so it will not come open. I cut the cross pieces on a worm drive clamp far enough to get the clamp over the small handle.

MLee , May 6, 2018
  14. Newsa

They probably wouldn't look for the valve. Once (I suspect) some college students drained the antifreeze from my radiator. The bottom hose was detached. It was General Chem finals day. And I was followed home (or felt like I was followed home) about 2 weeks prior. Had been teaching as an adjunct in the evenings.

Newsa , May 6, 2018
  15. 6V92TA

its alot easier to slash somebody's tires or dump a gallon of water in a fuel tank than it is to crawl underneath the truck and drain the oil. LOL

6V92TA , May 6, 2018
  16. Bug Out TDR MEMBER

Fumoto for the last 5 RAMS, no issues

Bug Out , May 6, 2018
  17. Newsa

Just sayin... The oil.pans on these 4th gens seem made out of a flimsy material. I see the pan flex ever so slightly as I install the drain plug and torque by hand.

Newsa , May 7, 2018
  18. BarryG TDR MEMBER

I had one on my 01 which saw a fair amount of brush busting off road. It was on her about 300k miles with no issues. One of the first things I bought for my 17 and 48k miles so far still no problems.

BarryG , May 7, 2018
  19. Cummins2014

Although I like the Fumoto, mine is either different or my oil pan is different on my 2014, because I was curious to how well it was draining. I pulled the Fumoto after draining overnight ,and there was significant amount of oil that drained out.

Now is that important to some maybe not, but my Fumoto drain valve DOES NOT let all the oil out of the pan the same as pulling the drain plug .

Cummins2014 , May 7, 2018
  20. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

That's interesting, I did the same test on my 2015 and no additional oil came out of the pan once I removed the valve. Perhaps there is a drain boss difference in the pans?

kthaxton , May 7, 2018